C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Run flats vs regular tires.

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2017, 04:48 PM
Daddy mack
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Run flats vs regular tires.

I currently have Bridgestone potenza re tires with very little tread. What is the difference performance wise between a run flat or non run flat. I would like to get tires that can hook from a dead stop. I know this is a lot to ask for being that the ls puts down so much hp and torque. My tire size is 285/35/19. I would like to hear some feedback from others on their tire choices.
Old 11-27-2017, 05:31 PM
dicky
Burning Brakes

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

I don't know about the Bridgestones, all I can comment on is what I've had. The stock runflats are crap, I could spin them way to easily when the weather got cool (like 60 or less). After the runflats worn out I went to Nitto INVOs and they were way better than the runflats but still they would break loose if i got on it anything under 50 (this is only with about 390 RWHP with a higher str stall). When the INVOs finally worn out I stopped being cheap and stepped up to the michelin pilot super sports, they are great too. I use to be able to go WOT at 40ish and spin pretty good with the INVOs, now I do that with the michelin PSS and they barley bark in cooler weather. The michelin PSS won't hook from a dead start since I have the stall but i think you're going to have a hard time finding a better street tire.

dicky
Old 11-28-2017, 09:28 AM
schizcat
Drifting

Received 142 Likes on 121 Posts

Originally Posted by dicky
I don't know about the Bridgestones, all I can comment on is what I've had. The stock runflats are crap, I could spin them way to easily when the weather got cool (like 60 or less). After the runflats worn out I went to Nitto INVOs and they were way better than the runflats but still they would break loose if i got on it anything under 50 (this is only with about 390 RWHP with a higher str stall). When the INVOs finally worn out I stopped being cheap and stepped up to the michelin pilot super sports, they are great too. I use to be able to go WOT at 40ish and spin pretty good with the INVOs, now I do that with the michelin PSS and they barley bark in cooler weather. The michelin PSS won't hook from a dead start since I have the stall but i think you're going to have a hard time finding a better street tire.

dicky

Get rid of the runflats. I pulled mine years ago and starting using BFG KDW2. They are great tires. Switched over to Bridgestone as I got a good deal on them. Havent put as many miles on them but they seem to be comparable to the BFGs.
Old 11-28-2017, 09:51 AM
PCMusicGuy
Safety Car

Received 295 Likes on 222 Posts

I just put on a set of the Michelin Pilot Sport AS3+ run flats. They seem to hook well, depending on temperature. (stock 07 A6).
Old 11-28-2017, 12:22 PM
Withnasty
Instructor

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

i have the same tires ^^^ I ran around at 26 or so psi for a while and they were decent from a roll if it was warm. after inflating fully, it slides all around. just a cam and bolt ons. sprayed it twice to realize the futility, now just waiting till spring to put my nt05s on
Old 11-28-2017, 01:44 PM
1bdvet
Team Owner

Received 4,504 Likes on 3,589 Posts
U.S. Air Force
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor

I just replaced with non run flats, with AAA by my side, what better ride!
Old 12-03-2017, 11:37 PM
Matthewstorm
Drifting

Received 235 Likes on 178 Posts

Originally Posted by 1bdvet
I just replaced with non run flats, with AAA by my side, what better ride!
Which ones?
Old 12-04-2017, 07:23 AM
Neumonic2002
Drifting

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10

At 500 rwhp my Bridgestone RE-11's will dead hook 2nd gear above 70 degrees plus they are very good in the wet if you get caught in the rain. As for first gear, I would ease in and spin but it was totally controllable. But again, temperature would need to be above 70 and some heat in the tires for both scenarios.

Mounted and balanced these myself, best riding Corvette I have ever ridden in or drove.

Had the Nitto Invo's as well, very good tire up to 400 rwhp, anything above that requires an upgrade.

Light cars with power need better than good tires IMO....
Old 12-05-2017, 09:46 AM
Ragtop 99
Safety Car

Received 1,181 Likes on 681 Posts

Originally Posted by Neumonic2002
At 500 rwhp my Bridgestone RE-11's will dead hook 2nd gear above 70 degrees plus they are very good in the wet if you get caught in the rain. As for first gear, I would ease in and spin but it was totally controllable. But again, temperature would need to be above 70 and some heat in the tires for both scenarios.

Had the Nitto Invo's as well, very good tire up to 400 rwhp, anything above that requires an upgrade.
I went this same path. Had invos, which were a step-up from runflats and were ok, but not not great when the car was CAI/headers/tune. I now have the RE-11s and they hook noticeably better with my 460 rwhp. Cool weather does require the tires to have warmed up to get decent grip.

Minimal spin in first gear generally requires practice, practice, and more practice when using any street tire. If your annual mileage is low and mostly driven in fair weather, an R compound tire is a lot of fun. I kept nitto drag radials on my camaro and I could launch hard on the street.
Old 12-13-2017, 08:24 PM
skar
Burning Brakes

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

Michelin Super sports ZP
They hook in summer temps
Ride is a lot better then stock .
Old 12-14-2017, 11:57 AM
fisher auto
Melting Slicks

Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

Runflats are like my buddy says "Concrete painted black".....
Old 12-14-2017, 04:53 PM
Icecap
Burning Brakes

Received 220 Likes on 174 Posts

Originally Posted by skar
Michelin Super sports ZP
They hook in summer temps
Ride is a lot better then stock .
Awesome grip in summer and downright scary when its cold.
Old 12-15-2017, 05:52 PM
Purple92
Melting Slicks

Received 786 Likes on 541 Posts

The OEM Goodyear runflats were truly horrible when really worn. My daily driver would corner better than the Vette with the worn (but still legal) Goodyears runflats. Goodyear should really be ashamed of making that horrible a tire.

There are better choices in runflats now - but there are much better choices for performance in the non-run flat rubber. I went to conventional (non runflat) Continentals, and have been very happy with them. I carry a small $50 V-Air air compressor with me - and I carry a can of Slime that says it's tire pressure sensor safe (I have real doubts about that - and hope to never find out if it truly is tire pressure sensor safe). Between that and a AAA card - I don't worry about non having run flat rubber on the car with no spare. The other thing to remember about is that the non run flats are for the most part significantly less expensive than the run flat rubber.
Old 12-15-2017, 08:45 PM
skar
Burning Brakes

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

I went went with super sport zp
If I can limp home to void a flat bed that makes sense to me .
Ride is way better then stock good year and they hook in warm weather .
No I don’t want to mess with a can of fix a flat or air pump .
Old 12-15-2017, 11:23 PM
Dcasole
Le Mans Master

Received 2,241 Likes on 1,634 Posts

Originally Posted by skar
I went went with super sport zp
If I can limp home to void a flat bed that makes sense to me .
Ride is way better then stock good year and they hook in warm weather .
No I don’t want to mess with a can of fix a flat or air pump .
U

Well Said........they handle great in the summer and yes they get scary when cold but what dedicated Summer Performance tire handles well in the cold ??

As far as the Runflat comments ....

I Don't want to sit on the side of a road waiting on a tow truck and hoping that the guy won't wreck my car yanking it up ....

or trying to get a jack under my car , the car that needs a low profile jack to lift when the tires are full of air , what happens when it's sitting on a flat?? Where and how do u lift it ?

Or laying on the ground , trying to roll the car forward so i can see what punctured the tire , so i can remove it and use my plug kit, then wait 15 minutes for my pump to fill up the repaired tire

Or let me fill my 300 dollar tire and 50 dollar tps sensor with tire goop ....bet that will balance well after this .....

Hmmmm No ..... I will stick to my MPSS RF ...they are nothing like the Goodyear runcraps that came on the car and are much quieter plus i am not fooling myself into a sense of false security by carrying a plug kit , air pump a jack thinking that I can fix a tire if i get a flat ....

Dave

Last edited by Dcasole; 12-15-2017 at 11:27 PM.
Old 12-16-2017, 09:31 AM
Purple92
Melting Slicks

Received 786 Likes on 541 Posts

The reason I carry the air pump and can of "fix a flat" is all about options.

Most of the tire problems I've experienced over the years were relatively slow deflations - if I could pump the tire up to say 38 - 40 psi, limp for 10 miles, then repeat - I could get the car home. I've had one "blowout" type failure in 30 years (and it wasn't in a Vette) - and that forced me to change a tire on the shoulder of Route 80 early in the morning. Very interesting experience that I hope never to repeat !!!
The following users liked this post:
ONENATION (01-14-2018)

Get notified of new replies

To Run flats vs regular tires.

Quick Reply: Run flats vs regular tires.