C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can't we all just get along?

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2017, 12:37 AM
boonie c4
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

Default Can't we all just get along?

Can a GM hot cam kit get along with with my 08 Corvette which has a Automatic transmission and still pass California smog? Or do you have a better camshaft option?
Old 11-30-2017, 06:10 AM
Cockroach
Burning Brakes

Received 168 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by boonie c4
Can a GM hot cam kit get along with with my 08 Corvette which has a Automatic transmission and still pass California smog? Or do you have a better camshaft option?

I asked about the GM hot cam kit awhile back in the general forum, several members with cam knowledge chimed in with some very good but overwhelming info. Do a forum search, basically not the best choice.
Old 11-30-2017, 08:11 AM
CMY SIX
Safety Car

Received 104 Likes on 92 Posts

better answer is YES! there ARE many livable cam options that CA won't even know about. smog is just away for CA to squeeze more $ out of you.
Old 11-30-2017, 08:53 AM
sevinn
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 189 Likes on 175 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14, '16

Talk to some of the bigger performance shops in California I'm sure they direct experience with some cams that will work. I know I've heard a few stories of people getting by since I've started visiting this forum. My guess you'll want to look for a smallish negative overlap cam and a good tuner that knows how to handle injection timing that will keep fuel out of the the exhaust.
Old 11-30-2017, 09:51 AM
irok
Safety Car

Received 500 Likes on 443 Posts

Originally Posted by boonie c4
I work on three auto cars with that cam and they will all easily pass emissions.difference on emissions dyno output was like pissing in the ocean. emission output near same as stock on LS2 and LS3 cars.the newer emission regulations do not do tailpipe sniff test to measure it.
Old 12-14-2017, 11:46 AM
vetten76
Drifting

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by sevinn
Talk to some of the bigger performance shops in California I'm sure they direct experience with some cams that will work. I know I've heard a few stories of people getting by since I've started visiting this forum. My guess you'll want to look for a smallish negative overlap cam and a good tuner that knows how to handle injection timing that will keep fuel out of the the exhaust.
I live in San Diego. I would love to gave a rumpty rump cam in my 13 GS. I called Cunningham Motorsports who is a shop with stellar reputation. They said no, I can’t have that and be smog legal. That said, I’m not sure any cam change would be worth the effort. I don’t want big h/p, just the sound. In California, if it’s fun, it’s illegal.
Old 12-14-2017, 05:24 PM
Ragtop 99
Safety Car

Received 1,183 Likes on 683 Posts

There are better options assuming you care about power and drivability.
Old 12-31-2017, 08:11 PM
californiajim
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Ragtop 99
There are better options assuming you care about power and drivability.
One corvette shop owner suggested pulling off one plug wire to get a rougher idle.
On the serious side others said a Z06 cam will pass smog.

Get notified of new replies

To Can't we all just get along?

Quick Reply: Can't we all just get along?