C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mustang or Vette?

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2017, 02:49 PM
JasonAndrew
Safety Car

Received 270 Likes on 169 Posts

Get the vette.
Old 12-07-2017, 06:58 PM
Unreal
Team Owner

Received 2,313 Likes on 1,793 Posts

Originally Posted by xBoostx
You are going to love a mustang till is time to install headers in it.

I had mustang and corvette ain't no way any of my 65 years is going back in to a mustang.
headers are quicker and easier than clutch on vette. Overall much easier to work on because of normal tranny setup.
Old 12-07-2017, 09:49 PM
hubes
Burning Brakes

Received 79 Likes on 60 Posts

Before I bought my 2009 base corvette I took a 2017 mustang gt with performance package for a test drive. It was a nice car, but I definitely liked the corvette better. My biggest complaints about the mustang were the leather on the steering wheel felt really cheap, and more importantly, down low torque was honda like. But the mustang did sound really good, and the shifter was really smooth. Like others have said, I would try both before you buy.
Old 12-07-2017, 10:59 PM
z06scentair
Drifting

Received 50 Likes on 43 Posts

Owning many of both to this day. The mustang is much less sophisticated of a car. The newer mustangs and camaro's have improved vastly one important component is the Independent rear which for the majority of both cars lives were solid axle. The independent aides in ride, comfort, and handling which the corvette has had since 63.

I'm (40) a Corvette enthusiast through and through, and honestly feel its an all around better, more enjoyable car regardless of automotive age.

Tell you like I tell my older brother (47) who himself owns several collectible cars, 3 of which are 69 camaro's. His wife owns a fox mustang she has had since new.

One day you'll grow up and leave the children's cars behind and get yourself an adult's car. (Corvette)

Moral of the story Mustangs are fun but they never have nor will they ever be in the same league of the Corvette.
Old 12-08-2017, 01:40 AM
Jackie Chan
Burning Brakes

Received 83 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by hubes
Before I bought my 2009 base corvette I took a 2017 mustang gt with performance package for a test drive. It was a nice car, but I definitely liked the corvette better. My biggest complaints about the mustang were the leather on the steering wheel felt really cheap, and more importantly, down low torque was honda like. But the mustang did sound really good, and the shifter was really smooth. Like others have said, I would try both before you buy.
I swapped a gt350 steering wheel onto my 15. Theybwere only 200 bucks at the time and a 20 to 30 minute swap time
Old 12-08-2017, 09:38 AM
Unreal
Team Owner

Originally Posted by z06scentair
Owning many of both to this day. The mustang is much less sophisticated of a car. The newer mustangs and camaro's have improved vastly one important component is the Independent rear which for the majority of both cars lives were solid axle. The independent aides in ride, comfort, and handling which the corvette has had since 63.

I'm (40) a Corvette enthusiast through and through, and honestly feel its an all around better, more enjoyable car regardless of automotive age.

Tell you like I tell my older brother (47) who himself owns several collectible cars, 3 of which are 69 camaro's. His wife owns a fox mustang she has had since new.

One day you'll grow up and leave the children's cars behind and get yourself an adult's car. (Corvette)

Moral of the story Mustangs are fun but they never have nor will they ever be in the same league of the Corvette.
Saying a 2013, or even a 2017 vette is less sophisticated than a 2018 mustang is laughable The mustang has WAY more technology. Dual injection, DOHC, adjustable cams, full digital dash that is adjustable, 10 speed transmission that shifts quicker and holds more power than the vette, mag ride, etc etc.
Old 12-08-2017, 10:31 AM
gmanflying
Racer

Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts

Unless your buying Elenor, the corvette without question!
Old 12-08-2017, 10:31 AM
jaki30
Melting Slicks

Received 517 Likes on 303 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16

Due to wife's medical issues, I traded in my 13 GS MN6, vert in Sept.
for a 2017 Mustang GT vert.
Yes, the Corvette was a little faster and weighed less than the 17 GT.
That said, I have to say the Mustang is a better DD. Also, the Vette was my DD and we couldn't use it for trips or other rides if both of us wanted to go since my wife has problems getting in/out of the car.
I had 15 Corvettes in the last 43 years. Do I miss the Corvette? Yes, but, I am learning to live without it.
BTW, my first new car was a 1971 Mach 1, 351C with the 4 spd.
Old 12-08-2017, 09:03 PM
Wheel Stander
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Vette or Stang

Originally Posted by silverado4x4-o8
I'm trying to decide between a 2018 Mustang GT or a 2013 Corvette. Which is faster in 1/4 mile and which is more reliable? Thanks, I usesd to have a 1972 corvette when I was 20 yrs. old now I'm 64. Which would be more enjoyable to own now.?
You're a grown man, right? After all, you're 64 years old. Hopefully you've answered your own question. Corvettes are high performance sports cars intended for those who eat at the finest restaurants, drink the finest wines, send their kids to the best schools and universities, are living the American Dream and enjoy flaunting their success. Mustangs are pony cars intended for young American males seeking thrills, chase girls with tattoos, drink rock gut whiskey and dream about success.

Old 12-08-2017, 10:11 PM
z06scentair
Drifting

Received 50 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by Unreal
Saying a 2013, or even a 2017 vette is less sophisticated than a 2018 mustang is laughable The mustang has WAY more technology. Dual injection, DOHC, adjustable cams, full digital dash that is adjustable, 10 speed transmission that shifts quicker and holds more power than the vette, mag ride, etc etc.
Have you ever read the book "Heart of the Beast" if not it's well worth the price?

All the technology you speak of that Ford adopted some 20 years later.
Old 12-08-2017, 10:37 PM
Wheel Stander
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

You’re comparing a daily-drive hotrod boytoy to a sportscar. It reality, there is no comparison. We’re also talking about which car is better suited to a 64 year old man, not some adolescent juvenile delinquent drag racer wannabe. My point ... keep things in perspective. The 2018 Mustang GT is undoubtedly a nice car ... for its intended audience,. It’s not, nor was it ever intended to be, a Corvette. Then again, neither is a Corvette a Mustang. Two totally different pieces of American automotive genius designed and intended for totally different markets, totally different drivers, in totally different stages of life.
Old 12-08-2017, 10:54 PM
DAMCars
Instructor

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

I love my C6 and the 18 GT looks like a serious car. However at that price point, I would spend a few more grand and get a 14 or 15 C7 with Z51.

Last edited by DAMCars; 12-08-2017 at 10:54 PM.
Old 12-09-2017, 09:11 AM
Unreal
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Wheel Stander
You’re comparing a daily-drive hotrod boytoy to a sportscar. It reality, there is no comparison. We’re also talking about which car is better suited to a 64 year old man, not some adolescent juvenile delinquent drag racer wannabe. My point ... keep things in perspective. The 2018 Mustang GT is undoubtedly a nice car ... for its intended audience,. It’s not, nor was it ever intended to be, a Corvette. Then again, neither is a Corvette a Mustang. Two totally different pieces of American automotive genius designed and intended for totally different markets, totally different drivers, in totally different stages of life.
The mustang is slowly becoming more and more vette like. My 2012 with a solid axle/etc is still more of a muscle car feel. The 2015+ with IRS, smaller interior, driver centric cockpit, etc feels a lot more like a vette with a almost useless backseat. They are moving more and more towards a sports car and away from a muscle car. The 2018 takes that even a step farther. While it isn't a corvette, for someone wanting a nice ride to get around that is sporty, I would take a mustang over a vette. Now if the goal is to to HPDEs and track events every weekend, and turn best possible lap times, then grab the vette. Swap some slicks, race pads, put a cage/harness in it, some aero, and enjoy. Most people aren't going for best lap times, and for that I think the mustang excels. Then again if you can, grab both. That is what I did. Two great cars.
Old 12-09-2017, 10:54 AM
xBoostx
Melting Slicks

Received 251 Likes on 196 Posts

headers are quicker and easier than clutch on vette. Overall much easier to work on because of normal tranny setup.
Clutch and headers are two very different parts.

Have you install a set headers on a late model double overhead cam V8 mustang engine?
Old 12-09-2017, 11:24 AM
Unreal
Team Owner

Originally Posted by xBoostx
Clutch and headers are two very different parts.

Have you install a set headers on a late model double overhead cam V8 mustang engine?
Yep. My point was both cars have things that are harder. Clutch is a pain in the *** on vette, headers are in a mustang. I would say if you had to do both, it would be quicker/easier to do both on the mustang vs the vette.

Then again, you don't even really need headers on the stang. Can throw a paxton, converter, and fuel system and run 9s all day on factory untouched exhaust.
Old 12-09-2017, 11:40 AM
Mordeth
Melting Slicks

Received 1,678 Likes on 878 Posts
2018 C6 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '10, '17

My buddy has a new GT350. It ain't no Vette, but it is an impressive car. Sounds awesome and drives great. He loves it. He has shown up at Watkins Glen a few times in it and it ran like champ in stock form except for racing pads. I was very impressed. He beat the hell out of it and it didn't flinch. Even though I favor Vette styling, I also enjoyed looking at it. Ford built a solid car.

He got his pony car *** handed to him on a platter of​​​ course, but that was expected.

Last edited by Mordeth; 12-09-2017 at 11:42 AM.
Old 12-09-2017, 01:25 PM
Cherokee Nation
Le Mans Master

Received 290 Likes on 271 Posts

Originally Posted by Wheel Stander
You're a grown man, right? After all, you're 64 years old. Hopefully you've answered your own question. Corvettes are high performance sports cars intended for those who eat at the finest restaurants, drink the finest wines, send their kids to the best schools and universities, are living the American Dream and enjoy flaunting their success. Mustangs are pony cars intended for young American males seeking thrills, chase girls with tattoos, drink rock gut whiskey and dream about success.

Get notified of new replies

To Mustang or Vette?

Old 12-10-2017, 01:54 AM
tekhombre
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by petsur
Oh man!
lol
Old 12-10-2017, 06:06 AM
Kenny94945
Le Mans Master

Received 444 Likes on 382 Posts

OP, (w/ 1 post) a troll or paid by site to get some, such as me, to add content?

Only thing better would be for OP to ask this question on a Camaro forum site.
Old 12-10-2017, 07:22 AM
z06inVB
Race Director

Received 1,107 Likes on 521 Posts

For the price of a performance ordered 18 Mustsng GT you could get a new 2017 1LT Vette

Quick Reply: Mustang or Vette?