C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Nav Update CD

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2017, 10:18 AM
EVRose
Race Director

Received 772 Likes on 612 Posts

Originally Posted by mikecronis
The Turn info is on the HUD in Street mode. Changes from the speedometer to the street name and turn when you're close.
Uh, yeah I know.
Old 12-31-2017, 12:17 AM
rcharrison1
Instructor

Received 37 Likes on 26 Posts
Default GM Nav Works Just Fine

Originally Posted by mikecronis
The Turn info is on the HUD in Street mode. Changes from the speedometer to the street name and turn when you're close.
When it comes to the GM Nav system, there are only two points of view - people either hate it or love it-doesn't seem to be any middle ground. For someone who has made up their mind they hate the GM Nav, we should all save our breath trying to convince them it is a good system. For someone who has exclusively used Garmin, Magellan or TomTom, most likely they will never make the switch given the choice. But luckily, that's why God gave us Fords and Chevys and black, green, red, blue and white cars. It's like Adams vs. Zaino, Goodyear Vs. Michelin, BP vs. Exxon Mobil, Microsoft vs. Apple, etc. We'll all go with what gives us the warm and fuzzy and makes sense in our daily life. For me, when I bought this Vette, I paid dearly for the 3LT pkg. which included the Nav system, so I was darn well committed to making it work.

I for one switched from Garmin and OnStar when I bought my Vette and love it. There are pros and cons for both. Free lifetime map updates for Garmin vs. pay for GM disc update. I for one hate a Garmin cluttering up my dash. Turn info. in the HUD is a game changer for the GM system. I use the voice commands extensively. It's a given learning the GM system can be frustrating. My recommendation to friends is to learn only the basics to begin with, which is EZ enough. There are so many things in the GM system is capable of, but you may never use or use once in a lifetime, so why waste the time. As an example, there are approx. 50 voice commands. I use 6 or less, so why try to memorize them all. In the beginning I kept a "cheat sheet" close at hand, but quickly found that was not practical. If one finds there is a voice command or feature they may use frequently, add that to the basic operation rather than trying to learn them all. As far as not being able to enter in a destination while the car is moving, there are two methods for working around that and can be found in the User's Manual. Several times while travelling, I have run into a back-up on the Interstate and using the voice command for Reroute or Detour has probably saved hours sitting in a back-up.

Just my 2 cents worth, but I don't think advising fellow form members asking for an opinion that Product A is a piece of crap or Product B is the best thing since sliced bread. I think someone asking a question would better appreciate someone telling them why they like/dislike a certain product based on some supporting data. I have had 6 Vettes and my personal preference on tires is Michelin. I have had some Goodyears and personally did not like them, but I would never tell someone asking an opinion about tires that Goodyears are crap, because that is not true. There are just as many people who swear by Goodyears. There are many folks who have purchased a Corvette, did not like it once they bought them, but that doesn't make a Corvette a crappy car. If so, us Vette owners apparently aren't too bright.
Old 12-31-2017, 09:33 AM
4SUMERZ
Race Car Tech
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,320 Likes on 1,664 Posts

Originally Posted by rcharrison1
When it comes to the GM Nav system, there are only two points of view - people either hate it or love it-doesn't seem to be any middle ground. For someone who has made up their mind they hate the GM Nav, we should all save our breath trying to convince them it is a good system. For someone who has exclusively used Garmin, Magellan or TomTom, most likely they will never make the switch given the choice. But luckily, that's why God gave us Fords and Chevys and black, green, red, blue and white cars. It's like Adams vs. Zaino, Goodyear Vs. Michelin, BP vs. Exxon Mobil, Microsoft vs. Apple, etc. We'll all go with what gives us the warm and fuzzy and makes sense in our daily life. For me, when I bought this Vette, I paid dearly for the 3LT pkg. which included the Nav system, so I was darn well committed to making it work.

I for one switched from Garmin and OnStar when I bought my Vette and love it. There are pros and cons for both. Free lifetime map updates for Garmin vs. pay for GM disc update. I for one hate a Garmin cluttering up my dash. Turn info. in the HUD is a game changer for the GM system. I use the voice commands extensively. It's a given learning the GM system can be frustrating. My recommendation to friends is to learn only the basics to begin with, which is EZ enough. There are so many things in the GM system is capable of, but you may never use or use once in a lifetime, so why waste the time. As an example, there are approx. 50 voice commands. I use 6 or less, so why try to memorize them all. In the beginning I kept a "cheat sheet" close at hand, but quickly found that was not practical. If one finds there is a voice command or feature they may use frequently, add that to the basic operation rather than trying to learn them all. As far as not being able to enter in a destination while the car is moving, there are two methods for working around that and can be found in the User's Manual. Several times while travelling, I have run into a back-up on the Interstate and using the voice command for Reroute or Detour has probably saved hours sitting in a back-up.

Just my 2 cents worth, but I don't think advising fellow form members asking for an opinion that Product A is a piece of crap or Product B is the best thing since sliced bread. I think someone asking a question would better appreciate someone telling them why they like/dislike a certain product based on some supporting data. I have had 6 Vettes and my personal preference on tires is Michelin. I have had some Goodyears and personally did not like them, but I would never tell someone asking an opinion about tires that Goodyears are crap, because that is not true. There are just as many people who swear by Goodyears. There are many folks who have purchased a Corvette, did not like it once they bought them, but that doesn't make a Corvette a crappy car. If so, us Vette owners apparently aren't too bright.
Well written. You make great points.
I am one that really likes the GM NAV. Unlike you, I don't use the voice commands, but I do have the cheat awitch from Ray Kawal that allows my passenger to input on the fly.
If I have a planned road trip, knowing approx. where I will be stopping daily (hotels, restaurants, places of interest, etc,) I input all those addresses into Memory points, and use the memory point to input my route for that day. BTW, memory points can be inputted while the car is moving.

The best thing about the Nav is the HUD integration for sure.
Old 01-06-2018, 07:32 PM
GMJim
Drifting

Received 230 Likes on 152 Posts

When I get my car out of storage this spring I'll make a conscious effort to learn how to use the onboard nav. You just might make a believer out of me? Voice commands might be the ticket!
Old 01-06-2018, 11:51 PM
rcharrison1
Instructor

Default Worth Trying

Originally Posted by GMJim
When I get my car out of storage this spring I'll make a conscious effort to learn how to use the onboard nav. You just might make a believer out of me? Voice commands might be the ticket!
My experience - just try it with an open mind and work on just the basics at first. If you do that, trying to maneuver in the system doesn't become too frustrating. There are several worthwhile tutorials on both the CF and You Tube. I just love the turn directions showing up in the HUD and voice commands. One of my most used commands is Repeat - with the CD on and talking with my wife, I sometimes don't catch the latest command.
Old 01-07-2018, 12:32 AM
HK770
Burning Brakes

Received 237 Likes on 189 Posts

Originally Posted by GMJim

https://my.chevrolet.com/content/dam...navigation.pdf
Old 01-07-2018, 12:18 PM
rcharrison1
Instructor

HK770 - how is the Tampa weather? Our Corvette club is coming to Tampa on Jan. 20, leaving out of Tampa on the 21st for a Caribbean cruise. We also did one last January to escape some of the winter weather.
Old 01-07-2018, 02:24 PM
HK770
Burning Brakes

Received 237 Likes on 189 Posts

Originally Posted by rcharrison1
HK770 - how is the Tampa weather? Our Corvette club is coming to Tampa on Jan. 20, leaving out of Tampa on the 21st for a Caribbean cruise. We also did one last January to escape some of the winter weather.

42* ish this AM, at two PM out side in shorts, shirt, no shoes polishing car.

Suppose to show a gradual warm up next week but Florida.

Don't like weather now wait a bit it will change. ...LOL

Quick Reply: Nav Update CD