C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Nav Update CD

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2017, 09:41 PM
spburke
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Nav Update CD

Hello all, I am new to the forums having bought my first Corvette last week. 2006, C6 LS2 Convertible 13500 miles. Car was owned by my mother in law, new to her Christmas gift 2005. I was looking through the original purchase docs and found the window sticker indicating that it includes two free map updates. I spoke with my mother in law and she advised that they never updated the maps. Any idea with Chevrolet will honor the map update? Anyone else have something similar? Thanks for your help. Lots to read here and enjoying the forums.
Old 12-07-2017, 09:50 PM
RPOZ4Z
Le Mans Master

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
Cruise-In VII Veteran

brand new Nav update CD... $10.00

bought on a few weeks ago, works fine in my '05 Convertible.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/GM-Chevrole...72.m2749.l2649

Last edited by RPOZ4Z; 12-07-2017 at 09:51 PM.
Old 12-08-2017, 10:50 AM
GMJim
Drifting

Received 230 Likes on 152 Posts

Originally Posted by RPOZ4Z
brand new Nav update CD... $10.00

bought on a few weeks ago, works fine in my '05 Convertible.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/GM-Chevrole...72.m2749.l2649
Great price! Does it look like a copy or original GM?
Thanks
Old 12-08-2017, 11:06 AM
4SUMERZ
Race Car Tech
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,320 Likes on 1,664 Posts

Originally Posted by spburke
Hello all, I am new to the forums having bought my first Corvette last week. 2006, C6 LS2 Convertible 13500 miles. Car was owned by my mother in law, new to her Christmas gift 2005. I was looking through the original purchase docs and found the window sticker indicating that it includes two free map updates. I spoke with my mother in law and she advised that they never updated the maps. Any idea with Chevrolet will honor the map update? Anyone else have something similar? Thanks for your help. Lots to read here and enjoying the forums.
I was in a similar situation with my 2006. The 2 free updates had never been claimed. I e-mailed the contact e-mail for the GMNav disc site and got the version 9 for free and the newest version 10 for free.

Others have tried and have been refused. I guess it depends on your e-mail and which associate happens to be in a giving mode on that particular day.

I have the info that I used if you want. PM me and I can forward it to you.
Old 12-08-2017, 11:36 PM
rcharrison1
Instructor

Received 37 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by LV2TOUR
I was in a similar situation with my 2006. The 2 free updates had never been claimed. I e-mailed the contact e-mail for the GMNav disc site and got the version 9 for free and the newest version 10 for free.

Others have tried and have been refused. I guess it depends on your e-mail and which associate happens to be in a giving mode on that particular day.

I have the info that I used if you want. PM me and I can forward it to you.
If GM won't give you the update, check EBay. They have copies available for $9.99. People who have bought them say they work fine - no issues.
Old 12-11-2017, 08:55 PM
TomdaToolman
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 168 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by spburke
I ordered one, should be here in two days! Thanks for the link.
Old 12-16-2017, 12:39 AM
TomdaToolman
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 168 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by TomdaToolman
I ordered one, should be here in two days! Thanks for the link.
Got it today. Doesn't look like a copy.
Old 12-16-2017, 10:16 AM
rcharrison1
Instructor

Received 37 Likes on 26 Posts
Default Should Work Well

They do look exactly like an original, but they are copies. However, they work just as well. I have an original and I burnt a back-up just in case the new one fails. When I bought mine, I think the original was $159 + shipping. A few months ago a group was selling copies on Ebay for $99 and they were selling like hotcakes. Some previous posts on the Forum called members out for buying copies and saying it was illegal and immoral. I call it free enterprise. Build a better mousetrap............

Good luck with your new disc - the money saved can be well utilized here at Christmas.
Old 12-24-2017, 07:00 PM
GMJim
Drifting

I got one too and it's a copy! There are a few sites you can find that explain how to identify a copy. Also looked at the sellers negative feedback and some of the buyers have claimed the disc mucked up their nav unit. I'm not even going to put it in the car. Seller DID send me a refund however. I'll stick to my Garmin. The thing I like about the Garmin is if you need gas or a hotel all you need to do is touch the icon for either and you have choices where as with the GM Nav you need to know where the gas station is to program it to go there. A thousand miles from you're not going to have a clue where the station is?
Old 12-25-2017, 02:05 AM
EVRose
Race Director

Received 772 Likes on 612 Posts

Originally Posted by GMJim
I got one too and it's a copy! There are a few sites you can find that explain how to identify a copy. Also looked at the sellers negative feedback and some of the buyers have claimed the disc mucked up their nav unit. I'm not even going to put it in the car. Seller DID send me a refund however. I'll stick to my Garmin. The thing I like about the Garmin is if you need gas or a hotel all you need to do is touch the icon for either and you have choices where as with the GM Nav you need to know where the gas station is to program it to go there. A thousand miles from you're not going to have a clue where the station is?
The GM Nav works the same way. Touch the POI button for gas and the nearest gas stations appear on the map.

Old 12-25-2017, 08:44 AM
Dcasole
Le Mans Master

Received 2,241 Likes on 1,634 Posts

Originally Posted by EVRose
The GM Nav works the same way. Touch the POI button for gas and the nearest gas stations appear on the map.
So many are quick to down the GM NAV and they never even have learned how to work it lol lol lol

It really is not bad , does almost everything you could possibly want a NAV to do and has never failed to get me where I wanted to go

Could the graphics be better ... sure but do we really need prettier graphics .....

Dave
Old 12-25-2017, 08:53 AM
RPOZ4Z
Le Mans Master

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
Cruise-In VII Veteran

Originally Posted by Dcasole
So many are quick to down the GM NAV and they never even have learned how to work it lol lol lol

It really is not bad , does almost everything you could possibly want a NAV to do and has never failed to get me where I wanted to go

Could the graphics be better ... sure but do we really need prettier graphics .....

Dave
YES! we really DO need preitter graphics!
Old 12-25-2017, 09:50 AM
Dcasole
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by RPOZ4Z
YES! we really DO need preitter graphics!

Dave
Old 12-25-2017, 10:46 AM
EVRose
Race Director

Received 772 Likes on 612 Posts

No, we don't need pretty graphics when we can see the turn info right in front of us on the HUD.
Old 12-25-2017, 12:14 PM
Dcasole
Le Mans Master

No, we don't need pretty graphics when we can see the turn info right in front of us on the HUD.

That's right !!

Dave
Old 12-25-2017, 12:32 PM
dmaxx3500
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,183 Likes on 748 Posts

GM factory nav works great,

screw the aftermarket stuff on the dash/windshield,,

read how to use the factory one[and put the update disc in it] and it will get you too-from anywhere
Old 12-25-2017, 12:59 PM
4SUMERZ
Race Car Tech
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,320 Likes on 1,664 Posts

Granted, the Garmin is easier to use, but the OEM NAV is easy as well, and is very powerful once it is learned. There is no trouble finding gas stations, hotels, restaurants with the POI's. It can be set so what you may need (gas stations) is displayed 1 mile prior to coming up to any exit of a city or town.
It's in dash, no need to clutter up the interior with extra add on gadgets.

After market in dash units would be a much better solution to replace an OEM Nav than a Garmin IMO

We all have choices, and we do what we think is best for our situations.

Last edited by 4SUMERZ; 12-25-2017 at 01:00 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Nav Update CD

Old 12-26-2017, 11:50 AM
67-427ci
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

Yep, the factory NAV works great. And since I installed a switch to enable input while driving it’s even better.
Roy
Old 12-29-2017, 05:49 PM
GMJim
Drifting

Originally Posted by dmaxx3500
GM factory nav works great,

screw the aftermarket stuff on the dash/windshield,,

read how to use the factory one[and put the update disc in it] and it will get you too-from anywhere
War and peace would be an easier read! I took my Garmin out of the box and had it all figured out in a couple of minutes without the instructions. I think the main issue is I only drive my Corvette to places I don't know once or twice a year and my Garmin is in my DD and it gets more use so more familiar. I DID read the manual for the Nav several times and still get messed up with it. The biggest issue I have with the Nav is I have to pull over to use it and I don't want to rewire it to work. It's a PIA!

Last edited by GMJim; 12-29-2017 at 05:51 PM.
Old 12-29-2017, 11:50 PM
mikecronis
Racer

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

The Turn info is on the HUD in Street mode. Changes from the speedometer to the street name and turn when you're close.

Quick Reply: Nav Update CD