C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2005 C6 rear sway bar shifts to right

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2017, 06:19 PM
russforest
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2005 C6 rear sway bar shifts to right

Has anyone had a problem with the rear sway bar shifting to the right about 1.5 inches. I have reset it by loosening the 2 bushings and moved it back to center. After about 150 miles it has shifted all the way to the right again. Is there something wrong with the rear end? It was so far over it would hit the tail pipe and the link arms are at an extreme angle. Finally I made a bracket about 14 inches long and attached one end to the bushing bolt and the other end is clamped to the sway bar. Has been like that for a couple years and works fine. Have researched this issue a few times but never got any ideas why it happens. Hope I'm doing this right. It's my first post and I am old school,low teck and struggling with this system. russ
Old 12-18-2017, 01:43 PM
Kenny94945
Le Mans Master

Received 446 Likes on 383 Posts

First I've read of this. I also have 2005 Z51.
I personally don't know like your bracket idea, yet it seems to work well.

First I would inspect the entire rear suspension for proper torque.

Seems to me the item forcing it could be the sway bar end links or the a-arms are lose or the bar is bent and through the travel something is applying pressure that is moving the bar. Possible, but don't think so, the bushings center have worn and or the bushing brackets are damaged. Possible, as there are posts concerning, the end links failed. Just maybe the bar is installed upside down?

So,
1) Bring back to stock remove your modification
2) Check all bolts of the entire rear suspension.
3) Inspect all the rubber components of the rear suspension.
4) Completely remove the sway bar.
5) Look for damage to the sway bar and directly related components.

Throwing money without finding cause: New sway bar, end links, bushings and bushing retainer brackets. Maybe $500.

FWIW I have found on my 2005 (original owner) that the sway bar clamp bushings age and become hard from the exhaust heat and the bar wears the center of the bushings from circular to oval. I consider the bushings a 15K maintenance item. I have never experienced this bar shifting issue

Good hunting.
The following users liked this post:
russforest (12-18-2017)
Old 12-18-2017, 02:09 PM
russforest
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Kenny94945
First I've read of this. I also have 2005 Z51.
I personally don't know like your bracket idea, yet it seems to work well.

First I would inspect the entire rear suspension for proper torque.

Seems to me the item forcing it could be the sway bar end links or the a-arms are lose or the bar is bent and through the travel something is applying pressure that is moving the bar. Possible, but don't think so, the bushings center have worn and or the bushing brackets are damaged. Possible, as there are posts concerning, the end links failed. Just maybe the bar is installed upside down?

So,
1) Bring back to stock remove your modification
2) Check all bolts of the entire rear suspension.
3) Inspect all the rubber components of the rear suspension.
4) Completely remove the sway bar.
5) Look for damage to the sway bar and directly related components.

Throwing money without finding cause: New sway bar, end links, bushings and bushing retainer brackets. Maybe $500.

FWIW I have found on my 2005 (original owner) that the sway bar clamp bushings age and become hard from the exhaust heat and the bar wears the center of the bushings from circular to oval. I consider the bushings a 15K maintenance item. I have never experienced this bar shifting issue

Good hunting.
Thanks for getting to me. When I first noticed the issue the car had only 28k on it. Bushings looked good and all associated linkage nice and tight. That was almost 3 years ago. Recently had a 4 wheel alignment done after installing new tires. They said the rear wheel were way out !! Now that I think of it that may have fixed the problem. Will remove sway bar bracket and see what happens. Will let you know the results. It would be nice to know the answer. russ forest

Get notified of new replies

To 2005 C6 rear sway bar shifts to right

Quick Reply: 2005 C6 rear sway bar shifts to right