C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PS high pressure hose replacement- install??

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2018, 08:06 PM
edean
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Default PS high pressure hose replacement- install??

Anyone have pics or instructions for replacing the high pressure steering hose w/o removing PS pump?

Thx Evan
Old 01-16-2018, 12:12 AM
torquetube
Le Mans Master

Received 655 Likes on 474 Posts

Originally Posted by edean
Anyone have pics or instructions for replacing the high pressure steering hose w/o removing PS pump?

Thx Evan
The trick is to use a 16mm flare nut crowfoot wrench. You can get at the fitting on the bottom of the pump without removing the pulley. Use the same wrench for the fitting at the steering rack.

The hose routing is shown below. All cars now use the long high-pressure hose (orange). The short version (not pictured) has been discontinued.

Not all cars will have the P/S fluid cooler.

The following 2 users liked this post by torquetube:
HC Mechanic (01-16-2018), NYC6 (01-21-2020)
Old 01-16-2018, 07:35 AM
timd38
Race Director

Received 181 Likes on 162 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

I had one made out of stainless Teflon to avoid replacing it again. 8 years later, and zero issues.

Early cars had a shorter hose. I think it changed in 2008. My car is a 2006 and had the short hose. It was only about 14" long if I remember correctly.

It also cost me less than s a stock replacement.

Last edited by timd38; 01-16-2018 at 07:39 AM.
Old 01-16-2018, 03:05 PM
PCMusicGuy
Safety Car

Received 295 Likes on 222 Posts

And for cars like my 2007 that used the short high pressure hose, my mechanic said replacing it with the long one was a PITA and took more time that it should have.
The following users liked this post:
C3Angel (01-01-2023)
Old 01-16-2018, 03:17 PM
timd38
Race Director

Received 181 Likes on 162 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Originally Posted by PCMusicGuy
And for cars like my 2007 that used the short high pressure hose, my mechanic said replacing it with the long one was a PITA and took more time that it should have.
The new longer one runs around the front of the car. My guess is that the short one had to large a bend in it and that is why it leaked.

I am happy with my home made teflon replacement.
Old 01-17-2018, 11:08 AM
Tech
Safety Car

Received 248 Likes on 215 Posts

Originally Posted by torquetube
The trick is to use a 16mm flare nut crowfoot wrench. You can get at the fitting on the bottom of the pump without removing the pulley. Use the same wrench for the fitting at the steering rack.

The hose routing is shown below. All cars now use the long high-pressure hose (orange). The short version (not pictured) has been discontinued.

Not all cars will have the P/S fluid cooler.

Where did you find this diagram?
Old 01-18-2018, 09:35 PM
demon340
Pro

Received 101 Likes on 81 Posts

I replaced mine on my 07 it is a pain. Crows foot is what's needed
A 18mm line wrench is helpful also, Take DS tire off to get to fittings, took all day to change but I had to go out to get the wrenches from napa and also had to grind down the crows foot wrench a bit. After done I flushed and filled with redline P/S fluid, added a microfine filter and also added a 4 pass aluminum aftermarket cooler in front of the radiator do not want to replace any P/S parts if I can help it!!

Last edited by demon340; 01-18-2018 at 09:40 PM.
The following users liked this post:
timd38 (01-21-2018)
Old 01-21-2020, 12:48 PM
ib4the8
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by demon340
A 18mm line wrench is helpful also, Take DS tire off to get to fittings, took all day to change but I had to go out to get the wrenches from napa and also had to grind down the crows foot wrench a bit. After done I flushed and filled with redline P/S fluid, added a microfine filter and also added a 4 pass aluminum aftermarket cooler in front of the radiator do not want to replace any P/S parts if I can help it!!
I have a 07 also that needs this hose replaced. Can you just remove the old small hose and install the longer hose? I see the reroute diagram. Is there any other modifications that need to be done? My longer hose did not come with a mounting clip #2 shown.
Old 03-16-2021, 02:15 PM
clearwaterms
Drifting

Received 106 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by demon340
with the crows foot wrench, do you still need to remove the power steering pump or can it be done leaving the pump and bracket installed?

Get notified of new replies

To PS high pressure hose replacement- install??

Quick Reply: PS high pressure hose replacement- install??