C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

basic tune or dyno tune??

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2018, 09:43 PM
demon340
Pro

Received 101 Likes on 81 Posts
Default basic tune or dyno tune??

I have a 07 base mn6 that is completely stock, over the next two months i plan on installing a vararam with paper filter, Port the stock intake, 160-t-stat, NGK tr55's gaped at .054, and ZO6 manifolds/mid pipe reduced to 2.5" before the over axle pipes. Any other basic "low cost" mods i can and should do while i'm working on it? Anyway i probably will never go with headers/ cam/ heads ETC.. on it. Is it worth the extra cost to go with a full dyno tune where the car is on the rollers, or with these mods is the basic flash tune/mail order tune the way to go? I really would like the tune to take advantage of the vararam and the 93 octane and keep the timing pull to a minimum.
Old 01-26-2018, 09:51 PM
damascus1986
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

i had a diablo tune when i first got the vette and it was stock. i got a custom steet tune a few months later i have to say the custom tune was much better at least as far as the butt dyno was concerned. i felt like the car made more torque for sure put you back in the seat alot harder. i dont regret trying the diablo because i picked it up here for 260 and sold it for 220$. i know there is a guy here who can build a more customized tune offf the diablo but i would try to find someone who is a good tuner in your area.
Old 01-27-2018, 08:07 AM
emoFTW
Racer

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts

In my opinion yes. A tune is the best thing you could do for the car. A street would be plenty in my opinion for your setup.
Old 01-27-2018, 09:18 AM
Neumonic2002
Drifting

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10

With a Vararam you will want a full custom street tune and upgrade to the amsoil filter, save your money on the plugs and leave the factory GM plugs in there.
Old 01-27-2018, 09:49 AM
Boomer111
Race Director

Received 191 Likes on 151 Posts

Might as well add the tunnel plate while the mid pipe is off.
Old 01-27-2018, 10:02 AM
Unreal
Team Owner

Received 2,313 Likes on 1,793 Posts

How the tune doesn't matter. A dyno is a tool, nothing special. The thing that makes the difference is the tuner. You can have a complete crap dyno tune, or an awesome tune that never sees the rollers. Mail order, street tune, dyno tune doesn't matter, who does the tune does. Shop based off tuner, not "style" of tune.
Old 01-27-2018, 10:58 AM
demon340
Pro

Originally Posted by Neumonic2002
With a Vararam you will want a full custom street tune and upgrade to the amsoil filter, save your money on the plugs and leave the factory GM plugs in there.
I was going to use a wix, but I'll look into the amsoil filter also. Thanks
Old 01-27-2018, 03:35 PM
Dcasole
Le Mans Master

Received 2,241 Likes on 1,634 Posts

Originally Posted by Unreal
How the tune doesn't matter. A dyno is a tool, nothing special. The thing that makes the difference is the tuner. You can have a complete crap dyno tune, or an awesome tune that never sees the rollers. Mail order, street tune, dyno tune doesn't matter, who does the tune does. Shop based off tuner, not "style" of tune.

it makes no difference its the person who is pushing the buttons

you can make a dyno post any numbers you want with some creative rounding lol

Dave
The following users liked this post:
damascus1986 (01-30-2018)
Old 01-28-2018, 10:12 AM
demon340
Pro

Originally Posted by demon340
I was going to use a wix, but I'll look into the amsoil filter also. Thanks
Looks like the amsoil EAA-240 is no longer available.
Old 01-28-2018, 11:26 AM
Unreal
Team Owner

Received 2,313 Likes on 1,793 Posts

Nothing wrong with a wix filter. They are great.
Old 01-28-2018, 01:01 PM
Tennispro1986
Racer

Received 59 Likes on 44 Posts

Forget about a flash tune using a tuner. Save tour money and contact ECS and mail in your PCM and have them flash it for 150 bucks. The mods you have are basic bolt ons and they would be able to get the tune dialed in 99% perfect as they have tons of files saved form cars that have similar mods to yours. With your mods and a tune from them, you should see 40hp or so. They will also adjust some of the torque management making the car feel and act more responsive. It's well worth it.
Old 01-28-2018, 03:58 PM
Curt D
Burning Brakes

Received 176 Likes on 151 Posts

Prob never do a cam, I said that too lol. Drive to St Louis and let Shane Hinds do the tune. The shop I use is down there too.

Last edited by Curt D; 01-28-2018 at 03:58 PM.
Old 01-28-2018, 06:34 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,481 Likes on 1,944 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

My opinion is if you want to save some money, then a mail tune is certainly less cost. But, if you're going to all the trouble*, what you don't want is something that doesn't optimize your add ons. *Kinda like what "boomer" said: as long as you have the underside of the tunnel exposed put in some thermal/noise reduction.

Like so many things tho, it isn't all about the technology as much as it is about the professional administering it. For that reason, I do agree w. unreal and dcasole. You want someone who hears your words, your concerns and knows how to optimize your setup while leaving a safety factor in the tune for "extraordinary circumstances" that you may encounter.

Good luck and enjoy the car!
Old 01-28-2018, 08:23 PM
Dcasole
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Tennispro1986
Forget about a flash tune using a tuner. Save tour money and contact ECS and mail in your PCM and have them flash it for 150 bucks. The mods you have are basic bolt ons and they would be able to get the tune dialed in 99% perfect as they have tons of files saved form cars that have similar mods to yours. With your mods and a tune from them, you should see 40hp or so. They will also adjust some of the torque management making the car feel and act more responsive. It's well worth it.
So basicly the same thing as doing a mail order tune with a diablo or SCT device without the convenience of being able to adjust parameters you might want to adjust on your own ..
Dave
Old 01-28-2018, 11:40 PM
Tennispro1986
Racer

Originally Posted by Dcasole
So basicly the same thing as doing a mail order tune with a diablo or SCT device without the convenience of being able to adjust parameters you might want to adjust on your own ..
Dave
A diablo tuner will allow you to flash tunes to your car, not adjust parameters. That's in the tune, now something you can mess with on the device. And I recommend a place like ECS for the tune over the generic handheld tuner for a better calibration.
Old 01-29-2018, 05:33 AM
Dcasole
Le Mans Master

A diablo tuner will allow you to flash tunes to your car, not adjust parameters. That's in the tune, now something you can mess with on the device. And I recommend a place like ECS for the tune over the generic handheld tuner for a better calibration.
Really .... you better check your facts before you make statements like this ... ,

This is how INTERNET URBAN LEDGENDS get started ... help me stamp out URBAN Ledgends

i can richen up or lean fuel , and many , many other items in ECM tune ,you also can access the TCM and make adjusts to the shift points and pressure, in D or in S mode , again , many many other parameters in the TCM tune , these are the same parameters that are adjusted with the CRM software used by Tuners ...

So yes , yes you can make adjustments to your tune or a custom tune using a Diablo ....

Dave
Old 01-29-2018, 06:52 AM
Tennispro1986
Racer

Originally Posted by Dcasole
Really .... you better check your facts before you make statements like this ... ,

This is how INTERNET URBAN LEDGENDS get started ... help me stamp out URBAN Ledgends

i can richen up or lean fuel , and many , many other items in ECM tune ,you also can access the TCM and make adjusts to the shift points and pressure, in D or in S mode , again , many many other parameters in the TCM tune , these are the same parameters that are adjusted with the CRM software used by Tuners ...

So yes , yes you can make adjustments to your tune or a custom tune using a Diablo ....

Dave
I'll take your word for it, however I don't think the OP is going to install a wideband and start writing his own tune...if you can do that with a diablo tuner.

Last edited by Tennispro1986; 01-29-2018 at 08:07 AM.
Old 01-29-2018, 10:38 AM
Dcasole
Le Mans Master

I'll take your word for it, however I don't think the OP is going to install a wideband and start writing his own tune...if you can do that with a diablo tuner.
Not to say he would either ... just correcting your statement that you can't... you can data log with a Diablo and make changes if you so desire ...not to mention some of the things that he might do like change his cooling fan percentages , tire size , shift points or firmness as these are very easy to do

Plus it's a great OBD tool

Dave
Old 01-30-2018, 08:41 PM
demon340
Pro

i would be happy with 40hp . Thanks for the info

Get notified of new replies

To basic tune or dyno tune??

Quick Reply: basic tune or dyno tune??