C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TPMS Shelf Life

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2018, 08:22 AM
RogerRamjet21
Pro

Received 217 Likes on 148 Posts
Default TPMS Shelf Life

Anyone know the shelf life of these? I bought 4 new ones to replace mine (2008). They have date codes on them and one of them is 5 of 08, so I'm concerned that it's new, but 10 years old. My appointment for installation is tomorrow, so should I pick up one more locally today or do these typically last 10 years from first activation?
Old 02-23-2018, 05:54 PM
RogerRamjet21
Pro

95 views and no opinions? Anyway, decided not to take a chance and sent that one back and got another with a more current date stamp. Moved install to next Thursday.
Old 02-24-2018, 10:18 AM
irok
Safety Car

Received 500 Likes on 443 Posts

Originally Posted by RogerRamjet21
95 views and no opinions? Anyway, decided not to take a chance and sent that one back and got another with a more current date stamp. Moved install to next Thursday.
Your asking a question that has no answer.no one can give you an accurate life span from first activation of a 8 year old TPMS.I have the original 14 year old factory sensors that work perfectly

Last edited by irok; 02-24-2018 at 10:43 AM.
Old 02-24-2018, 11:29 AM
Icecap
Burning Brakes

Received 220 Likes on 174 Posts

The TPMS sensors on my 2007 Indy Pace Car with 18,000 miles are being replaced when I put the car back on the road in the spring. Last summer I started to get erroneous warning from my left front even though the pressure was always correct when I checked it with a manual gauge.

I already purchased a set from TPMS.com ready to install. I thought that buying them from a specialty supplier with a large turnover they would be fresher or newer in production date. I checked the production date codes on the ones that I bought a couple of months ago and they were manufactured in October of 2016.
Old 02-24-2018, 11:47 AM
Icecap
Burning Brakes

Received 220 Likes on 174 Posts

Anyone know the shelf life of these? I bought 4 new ones to replace mine (2008). They have date codes on them and one of them is 5 of 08, so I'm concerned that it's new, but 10 years old. My appointment for installation is tomorrow, so should I pick up one more locally today or do these typically last 10 years from first activation?
I would try to get newer sensors. I just did a google search for storage life of Lithium "coin" batteries. From YouTube videos I have watched of people who claimed to have attempted to replace the batteries in their TPMS sensors that is the type of battery in the sensors.

The maximum recommended storage life is 10 years so I would avoid buying a sensor that is already that old although unused.
Old 02-24-2018, 04:07 PM
RogerRamjet21
Pro

Originally Posted by Icecap
I would try to get newer sensors. I just did a google search for storage life of Lithium "coin" batteries. From YouTube videos I have watched of people who claimed to have attempted to replace the batteries in their TPMS sensors that is the type of battery in the sensors.

The maximum recommended storage life is 10 years so I would avoid buying a sensor that is already that old although unused.
Thanks, that's what I did, returned old and received current. They go in Thursday. Not sure anyone here really knows how a new, but old TPMS would hold up, but I didn't want to risk it.

Get notified of new replies

To TPMS Shelf Life

Quick Reply: TPMS Shelf Life