C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Solid or Poly Mounts?

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2018, 10:48 PM
WhiteBitch13Z06
Cruising

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Solid or Poly Mounts?

Know its been asked but going to change out my motor and trans mounts when I pull the drivetrain to do a bunch of stuff.. Car gets driven hard when its out and will do a few track days.. Right now I have my eyes on LG solid mounts or PFADT Poly mounts.. Thanks for info!
Old 02-25-2018, 12:03 AM
CI GS
Le Mans Master

Received 1,110 Likes on 780 Posts

The Hinsons are what I went with. There’s at least a couple of guys with 1000+whp cars on here that’s been running them for years without issues, so that sold them for me.

Last edited by CI GS; 02-25-2018 at 07:13 AM.
Old 02-25-2018, 12:06 AM
Dano523
Race Director

Received 3,017 Likes on 2,173 Posts

Originally Posted by WhiteBitch13Z06
Know its been asked but going to change out my motor and trans mounts when I pull the drivetrain to do a bunch of stuff.. Car gets driven hard when its out and will do a few track days.. Right now I have my eyes on LG solid mounts or PFADT Poly mounts.. Thanks for info!
The reason that the engine and trans have rubber in the motor mounts (fluid in the motor mounts as well), is to dampen the vibration to the chassis so your not feeling it so much in the car instead. Poly is harder than rubber, so it dampens less, while solid motor mounts will not dampen at all.

For full race, solid it better, but not the best for a street driven car isntead.

And if your going to all the effort of the engine and trans mounts, then add the improved bushings for the A arms as well.
Old 02-25-2018, 12:37 AM
WhiteBitch13Z06
Cruising

Originally Posted by CI GS
The Hinsons ate what I decided on. There’s at least a couple of guys with 1000+whp cars on here that’s been running them for years without issues, so that sold them for me.
on the hinsons did you get stock height or the 3/8 shorter ones? is there really clearance issues with manifold on stock height ones?
Old 02-25-2018, 01:52 AM
xBoostx
Melting Slicks

Received 251 Likes on 196 Posts

Hope this thread helps ...

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...post1596665889
Old 02-25-2018, 02:11 AM
WhiteBitch13Z06
Cruising

Originally Posted by xBoostx
I checked it out, good info.. lol I still cant decide if I should go solid or not.. I'm not so much worried about ride quality or "roughness" as I am it picking up knock or actually breaking something from it being too stiff..
Old 02-25-2018, 07:22 AM
CI GS
Le Mans Master

Received 1,110 Likes on 780 Posts

on the hinsons did you get stock height or the 3/8 shorter ones? is there really clearance issues with manifold on stock height ones?
I went with the 3/8” shorter engine mounts, but ended up shimming them with some large stainless fender washers to give myself some more clearance between the the engine cradle and my oversized IW balancer. There’s no clearance issue with the standard height version if you’re running the stock intake manifold.
They do transmit a bit of engine vibration to the chassis, but nowhere as much as I had imagined and nowhere near unbearable. I actually like that. With my relatively mild cam, it feels like a performance car now.
Old 02-25-2018, 08:19 AM
Unreal
Team Owner

Received 2,313 Likes on 1,793 Posts

Hinson. Had the stock height ones for years, zero issues.

They are stock height, so if you don't have clearance issues now, you will not with them.
Old 02-25-2018, 09:39 AM
xBoostx
Melting Slicks

Received 251 Likes on 196 Posts

I checked it out, good info.. lol I still cant decide if I should go solid or not.. I'm not so much worried about ride quality or "roughness" as I am it picking up knock or actually breaking something from it being too stiff..
Now you have choice I don't recommend the H brand cause they fail the first time I removed them and I had to buy a new one cause they have no warranty, well the manufacturer claim they are warranty but it only last till one fail them you have to buy a new replacement.

Here's how, the B guy says is heat damage but there's no heat damage at all that's why their warranty fails with the part.

I read they don't have any fail history but failed to me the first time removed cause the only thing holding the stud from turning is the rubber itself when the factory motor mount nut which is (recommended in writing by the manufacturer) is used these nuts are made so they don't come loose and they come out with a little drag this drag cause the rubber to bust on the side with a crack (nothing to do with heat)

If when they make these mounts a flexible wire is welded to the top and bottom inner plates to keep em from turning on removal this will never happen but they don't.
Old 02-25-2018, 10:24 AM
Mark@AMT Motorsport
Supporting Vendor

Received 554 Likes on 264 Posts

I don't recommend solid mounts unless you're putting solid mounts everywhere, and even then I still wouldn't do it. The bell housing is supposed to have some vibration dampening, and that's why we developed our vulcan engine mounts. The engine stays in place because it's captured by one bolt but the rubber puck still allows vibration dampening.

Can't speak to anyone else's warranty policy but ours are gauranteed for life no questions asked.
Old 02-25-2018, 10:58 AM
realcanuk
Le Mans Master

Received 394 Likes on 359 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

Originally Posted by xBoostx
Now you have choice I don't recommend the H brand cause they fail the first time I removed them and I had to buy a new one cause they have no warranty, well the manufacturer claim they are warranty but it only last till one fail them you have to buy a new replacement.

Here's how, the B guy says is heat damage but there's no heat damage at all that's why their warranty fails with the part.

I read they don't have any fail history but failed to me the first time removed cause the only thing holding the stud from turning is the rubber itself when the factory motor mount nut which is (recommended in writing by the manufacturer) is used these nuts are made so they don't come loose and they come out with a little drag this drag cause the rubber to bust on the side with a crack (nothing to do with heat)

If when they make these mounts a flexible wire is welded to the top and bottom inner plates to keep em from turning on removal this will never happen but they don't.
It sucks that they didn't stand behind the product. That said, myself and many others run the hinson mounts with no issues, and I have never heard of any other one that failed. I guess it is possible that you got a defective part..........who knows. I reused the factory heat shields when I installed mine, as I am sure with headers, the heat the mounts take is far more than when stock.

Mine have been on through 2 builds and I like them. Minimal more vibration then stock, and both the motor and trans mounts have held up well. Personally I wouldn't go solid for a street car. I think the vibes would get annoying.
Old 02-25-2018, 12:04 PM
WhiteBitch13Z06
Cruising

Thanks for all the info guys! decided I'm Going to go with a poly style and leaning towards the Hinsons and I do have a FAST manifold for it so Id be using the 3/8 shorter ones,(unless that causes more problems than giving the intake more room?).... And I assume the PFADT brands don't have an advantage that's worth almost double the price??
Old 02-25-2018, 04:44 PM
Unreal
Team Owner

I wouldn't touch the pfadts. Way too many complaints. Hinson or go with the AMT ones.

As for lowering ones, if your fast fits now, it will fit with normal height. Not sure why you would want to go with the lower ones unless you have an intake that doesn't fit with stock mounts.
Old 02-25-2018, 07:03 PM
WhiteBitch13Z06
Cruising

Well I have a FAST manifold for it, just not on the car yet so not sure on fitment with oem height..
Old 02-25-2018, 07:04 PM
Unreal
Team Owner

It fits with OEM mounts, so it fits with hinsons. IMO I would just ditch the fast anyways and go right to a MSD intake.
Old 02-25-2018, 07:17 PM
WhiteBitch13Z06
Cruising

I know the msd makes a little more steam but that thing is ugly as hell IMO lol.. if I was worried about every bit of power I would have gone holley hi ram.. but I aint cutting a thing on this car, I already have a cut up race car lol.. Looks like I'm going Hinson oem height.. I really appreciate all the help fellas!

Get notified of new replies

To Solid or Poly Mounts?

Quick Reply: Solid or Poly Mounts?