C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

c6 engine removal

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2018, 04:52 PM
graycat
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default c6 engine removal

we have a coustmer that needs us to remove the engine from his c6 vette never done one of these any secrets tricks or good advise to share frome the great bank of vette knowledge here on this site thanks in advance
Old 03-12-2018, 07:29 PM
Tech
Safety Car

Received 248 Likes on 215 Posts

Lift or no lift? It can come out the top or the bottom.

If you're going out the top, you have to choose between lowering the front subframe extra, or removing the power steering rack. I chose to drop the subframe more, which meant disconnecting the top a-arms and shocks.

You can leave the AC compressor in the chassis if you don't want to evac it.

If it's a manual and you want to replace the slave cylinder, remove the h-pipe, tunnel brace and disconnect the torque tube housing from the bell housing, so the bell housing comes out with the engine. If you aren't going to touch the slave cylinder, it's easier to leave all of that stuff on and just disconnect the bell housing from the back of the engine.

You don't have to remove the fans, condenser, or radiator. You can also leave the waterpump and heads on if you prefer. You can disconnect the engine mount stud on the top or the bottom.

Is there anything specific you're concerned about?
Old 03-13-2018, 11:09 AM
3X2
Melting Slicks

Received 466 Likes on 361 Posts

I removed the cradle bolts from the framerails. Don't forget to refill the trans when done.
Old 03-16-2018, 10:08 PM
k1500coburn
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default put it back in?

I'm new here so just finding my way around and how to use the forum.

'06 6spd - I just got the engine out from the top. I had already taken the sub-frame down and steering out (did the timing chain, but found other issues that required engine removal). I'll be doing a total engine overhaul (177,000 miles). The ABS is still connected so the sub-frame isn't quite all the way loose.

Any tips on getting the engine back on the sub-frame AND the output shaft into the clutch? I bought a valley cover lift-plate, and with the clutch on, it doesn't sit level.

I've got a lot of questions and this forum is huge, so thanks for any tips.

Get notified of new replies

To c6 engine removal

Quick Reply: c6 engine removal