C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C6 Tire Drag Pak

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2018, 07:37 PM
Silver c6 z-51
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

Default C6 Tire Drag Pak

I'm looking for some input on tire size diameter without causing active handling issues.
I have it narrowed down to weld wheels rims with mickey thompson tires, however the closest difference between the front and rear diameters are 2" with a 26.5" front and a 28.5" tall rear, there is a 27.5" front but I'm concerned about it rubbing.
Old 03-13-2018, 02:26 PM
subfloor@centurytrans
Supporting Vendor

Received 776 Likes on 505 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (track prepared)
C6 of Year Winner (track prepared) 2019

Originally Posted by Silver c6 z-51
I'm looking for some input on tire size diameter without causing active handling issues.
I have it narrowed down to weld wheels rims with mickey thompson tires, however the closest difference between the front and rear diameters are 2" with a 26.5" front and a 28.5" tall rear, there is a 27.5" front but I'm concerned about it rubbing.
Will you be doing any driving on the street with this setup?
Old 03-13-2018, 02:59 PM
Silver c6 z-51
Instructor

Yes, also I just purchased the lg track box to disable my tire sensors.
Old 03-14-2018, 01:12 AM
HOXXOH
Race Director

Received 2,061 Likes on 1,505 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

How much power and are you A6 or M6? If A6, what converter and what axle gear?
OEM rear size is 1.05 times the fronts when new. The known workable limits are bald fronts vs new rears and new fronts vs bald rears. Tread depth when new is 9/32". You can do the math to see if your combo works or how far from the limits you may be.
The lightest low cost drag pack is 26" M&H bias skinnies on 17" GTO spare wheels and 275/40/17 Hoosiers on C5 Z06 cast front wheels.
From years of experience racing in Northern Ohio and Southern Michigan, you will get caught in rain sometime. The only safe method is to change tires/wheels at the track, since a drag pack only has traction on dry pavement.
Old 03-14-2018, 06:25 AM
Silver c6 z-51
Instructor

The car is a 05 manual with a 4.10 gear, drivetran has had the RPM upgrades while having dynoed 400 natural and 600 with nos.
I’ve been fortunate to only get caught in the rain twice since buying it new, I’m adding LG’s track box so I can drop the rear tires below 23 psi while disabling the traction control.
My concern is to keep the AH/TC issues at bay while doing some street driving and occasional track use. Thanks for your detailed response.
Old 03-15-2018, 01:03 AM
HOXXOH
Race Director

Received 2,061 Likes on 1,505 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

The car is a 05 manual with a 4.10 gear, drivetran has had the RPM upgrades while having dynoed 400 natural and 600 with nos.
I’ve been fortunate to only get caught in the rain twice since buying it new, I’m adding LG’s track box so I can drop the rear tires below 23 psi while disabling the traction control.
My concern is to keep the AH/TC issues at bay while doing some street driving and occasional track use. Thanks for your detailed response.
Search for JoeG posts, since his closely resembles your car and the power is in between your NA and NOS.
I'm thinking those rear tires are too tall for your power and you're killing some of the gearing benefit. I don't see any MT at 28.5", so exactly what are you looking at?

BTW, I've driven about 10K miles with no sensors & well up into triple digits. I don't have sensors in my drag tires either and have no problem turning TC off.
Old 03-15-2018, 09:08 AM
Silver c6 z-51
Instructor

Originally Posted by HOXXOH
Search for JoeG posts, since his closely resembles your car and the power is in between your NA and NOS.
I'm thinking those rear tires are too tall for your power and you're killing some of the gearing benefit. I don't see any MT at 28.5", so exactly what are you looking at?

BTW, I've driven about 10K miles with no sensors & well up into triple digits. I don't have sensors in my drag tires either and have no problem turning TC off.
Thanks for your reply, I am familiar with you and joeG’s posts, which are always good info. I was able to find a Hoosier QuickTime DOT bias ply at 28” tall with a Mickey Thompson bias front runner at 26.5” tall. My LG track box came in recently so I will just install that even though you say without sensors I shouldn’t have a problem. I am currently running the NITTO NT05r package on the car which needs to be close to 15-16 PSI in the rear because of the stiff sidewall for descent traction but has too much sway for me.
My goal was to take some rotating mass off of the wheels with some lightweight weld wheels while improving traction, I was having a hard time finding tires within a 1.5” diameter of each other but I have finally found it with Hoozier and Mickey, although the fronts will be a 17” and the rears will be a 15”.
Old 03-17-2018, 10:45 AM
GARY2004Z06
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 335 Likes on 247 Posts

Thanks for your reply, I am familiar with you and joeG’s posts, which are always good info. I was able to find a Hoosier QuickTime DOT bias ply at 28” tall with a Mickey Thompson bias front runner at 26.5” tall. My LG track box came in recently so I will just install that even though you say without sensors I shouldn’t have a problem. I am currently running the NITTO NT05r package on the car which needs to be close to 15-16 PSI in the rear because of the stiff sidewall for descent traction but has too much sway for me.
My goal was to take some rotating mass off of the wheels with some lightweight weld wheels while improving traction, I was having a hard time finding tires within a 1.5” diameter of each other but I have finally found it with Hoozier and Mickey, although the fronts will be a 17” and the rears will be a 15”.
We have ran Hoosier 28x11.50x16 QTP and M&H 26x4.5x17 on corresponding Bogart D10s without issue on the C6Z. On spray, the 28s will be fine. If you run N/A, you will be better served on a 26" as Tom has mentioned.
I have heard of issues with a 28" tire on a 15" wheel due to the additional sidewall. Tire growth may cause the tire to contact the fender liner at the top end. This happened on my buddy's C6Z. You should look at the 27" Hoosier. This tire will grow approximately an inch at the top end and give you a trap speed of 138 mph at 6800 rpm.

Last edited by GARY2004Z06; 03-17-2018 at 11:04 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To C6 Tire Drag Pak

Quick Reply: C6 Tire Drag Pak