C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2006 no crank no start

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2018, 11:25 PM
someoldguy
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2006 no crank no start

Hi hope someone has some ideas. Drove car all was normal shut off and now cannot start. Car has 31k miles on it. Dash blacks out when start is pushed and comes back on after a bit with gauge sweep etc. gas gauge shows empty. Fobs are being read. Dic reads low fuel (theres plenty of gas), service fuel system. No other codes. I cannot seem to read codes on dic by using the option and fuel keys and my code reader gives a communication error and its a compatible unit. What's been done thus far; verify good battery by load testing battery and it charges to about 12.8 volts on battery tender. Checked fuel pump relay and all associated fuses all ok. Fuse block disassembled and inspected all ok. Fuse block ground cleaned and reassembled. Fuel pump will run when relay is jumpered but car will not start with it jumpered either. Checked for any harness damage none found. Reset all associated connectors. Since the owners manual describes this as a fuel system error or no input from ecm I purchased and programmed a replacement ecm. Same symptoms exactly. The computer company says it must be the bcm. This confuses me since everything inside the car works and fob function. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.
Old 03-13-2018, 09:16 AM
EVRose
Race Director

Received 772 Likes on 612 Posts

First the C6 can't read codes from the dic. That was a C5 feature.
Second, if it doesn't crank it' a power issue, not a fuel issue. Did you check the battery connection at the starter? How old is the battery? Getting multiple false warnings on the dic is almost always a sign of a bad battery.
The following users liked this post:
Papic1 (03-27-2018)
Old 03-13-2018, 09:53 AM
someoldguy
Cruising

Originally Posted by EVRose
First the C6 can't read codes from the dic. That was a C5 feature.
Second, if it doesn't crank it' a power issue, not a fuel issue. Did you check the battery connection at the starter? How old is the battery? Getting multiple false warnings on the dic is almost always a sign of a bad battery.
Thanks battery is new and tested good. I looked at the starter wiring but never tried to jump power to the solenoid so thanks i'll check starter function,
Old 03-13-2018, 10:35 AM
someoldguy
Cruising

Originally Posted by someoldguy
Thanks battery is new and tested good. I looked at the starter wiring but never tried to jump power to the solenoid so thanks i'll check starter function,
Jumpered crank solenoid in fuse block and motor cranks readily. So not the battery or the starter. I guess I'll check the switch on the clutch pedal. Btw the only faults displayed are low fuel and service fuel system. Fuel pump does not turn on unless jumpered.
Old 03-13-2018, 01:09 PM
someoldguy
Cruising

Jumpered crank solenoid in fuse block and motor cranks readily. So not the battery or the starter. I guess I'll check the switch on the clutch pedal. Btw the only faults displayed are low fuel and service fuel system. Fuel pump does not turn on unless jumpered.
So I jumpered the fuel pump pushed start nothing. After dash cycled, ignition on, jumpered crank relay and cranked motor. Still no start. So again this points to the pcm. Which leads to a question can the fuel level sensors if they were bad so no output, cause the pcm to think the tank is empty and cause the pcm to turn off the ignition? Simply can the fuel level sensors turn the ignition off? Otherwise how is this not the pcm, Hope someone actually reads all this. Thanks
Old 03-13-2018, 01:21 PM
EVRose
Race Director

Received 772 Likes on 612 Posts

Sorry, I don't know the answer to that.
Old 03-17-2018, 02:24 PM
bmfvette
Drifting

Received 115 Likes on 74 Posts

Received your PM.

You have a CAN (Controller Area Network) Bus problem. There are several buses in the vette but this is the main high speed serial bus controlled by the BCM (Body Control Module). This bus starts at the DLC (Data Link Connector) or ODBII port under the drivers side dash and terminates at the ECM. There are 5 modules on the bus, 6 if you have the F55 (Electronic Suspension) module in this order.

1. BCM – Body Control Module
2. VCIM – Vehicle Communications Interface module
3. ESC – Electronic Suspension Control (F55)
4. TCM – Transmission control Module
5. EBCM - Electronic Brake Control Module
6. ECM – Engine Control Module

Also, I should mention you only have a TCM if you have a 6l80. The manual is controlled by the ECM. The way the CAN Bus works during the crank sequence is the BCM pings the other modules to wake them up and is expecting a response in a short period of time. If no response is received all bets are off the BCM shuts it down. You then get the dreaded blank dash with only the check engine light and the DIC is throwing every error message known to man. You will also get a “Low Fuel” error message. The fuel circuit is not on the bus but uses some of the circuitry from the TCM. Thus the error message. You can trip the crank relay and get the car to crank but it will run like crap cause the ECM will not turn on the fuel pump or injectors and you are burning what’s in the chambers.

The way to trouble shoot this is you have to take the modules off the bus to see which one is hosing it up. As I mentioned earlier this is a serial bus so all modules are in serial. You will have to remove a module (one at a time) and jumper the in/outputs of the high/low sides of the bus. This bus works with 4.5 volts varying from the high side to the low side (proprietary GM signals). If you break the bus you will get the blank dash so don’t break the bus! There are two modules you can’t take off the bus for obvious reasons. The BCM as it controls the bus and the ECM as it controls everything else and terminates the bus.

The 1st culprit I would go for is the VCIM. It’s located behind the glove box but can be accessed from the passenger foot well if you’re a contortionist. This module controls the Bluetooth and Onstar functions.

The 2nd culprit is usually the EBCM located between the motor and radiator on the driver side.

The 3rd is the F55 module. It’s located behind the passenger fender and shares the same mount as the ECM (pancaked on top of each other).

You will need a bus diagram or “all” of the connector pin outs to see the in/outputs of the each module. You will jumper the in/out of the low side and in/out of the high side. Plus some jumpers (small safety pins will work if you cut the heads off).

I would send you a diagram but I’m at TX2K at the moment but will see if I have a pic on my phone or by chance someone here has access to one.

Good luck! Happy troubleshooting (cause it’s fun)! I hope this helps.
Old 03-17-2018, 04:48 PM
someoldguy
Cruising

Originally Posted by bmfvette
Received your PM.

You have a CAN (Controller Area Network) Bus problem. There are several buses in the vette but this is the main high speed serial bus controlled by the BCM (Body Control Module). This bus starts at the DLC (Data Link Connector) or ODBII port under the drivers side dash and terminates at the ECM. There are 5 modules on the bus, 6 if you have the F55 (Electronic Suspension) module in this order.

1. BCM – Body Control Module
2. VCIM – Vehicle Communications Interface module
3. ESC – Electronic Suspension Control (F55)
4. TCM – Transmission control Module
5. EBCM - Electronic Brake Control Module
6. ECM – Engine Control Module

Also, I should mention you only have a TCM if you have a 6l80. The manual is controlled by the ECM. The way the CAN Bus works during the crank sequence is the BCM pings the other modules to wake them up and is expecting a response in a short period of time. If no response is received all bets are off the BCM shuts it down. You then get the dreaded blank dash with only the check engine light and the DIC is throwing every error message known to man. You will also get a “Low Fuel” error message. The fuel circuit is not on the bus but uses some of the circuitry from the TCM. Thus the error message. You can trip the crank relay and get the car to crank but it will run like crap cause the ECM will not turn on the fuel pump or injectors and you are burning what’s in the chambers.

The way to trouble shoot this is you have to take the modules off the bus to see which one is hosing it up. As I mentioned earlier this is a serial bus so all modules are in serial. You will have to remove a module (one at a time) and jumper the in/outputs of the high/low sides of the bus. This bus works with 4.5 volts varying from the high side to the low side (proprietary GM signals). If you break the bus you will get the blank dash so don’t break the bus! There are two modules you can’t take off the bus for obvious reasons. The BCM as it controls the bus and the ECM as it controls everything else and terminates the bus.

The 1st culprit I would go for is the VCIM. It’s located behind the glove box but can be accessed from the passenger foot well if you’re a contortionist. This module controls the Bluetooth and Onstar functions.

The 2nd culprit is usually the EBCM located between the motor and radiator on the driver side.

The 3rd is the F55 module. It’s located behind the passenger fender and shares the same mount as the ECM (pancaked on top of each other).

You will need a bus diagram or “all” of the connector pin outs to see the in/outputs of the each module. You will jumper the in/out of the low side and in/out of the high side. Plus some jumpers (small safety pins will work if you cut the heads off).

I would send you a diagram but I’m at TX2K at the moment but will see if I have a pic on my phone or by chance someone here has access to one.

Good luck! Happy troubleshooting (cause it’s fun)! I hope this helps.
Thank you!!! I have pretty much eliminated everything else. Diagrams would be greatly appreciated when you're able. I was going to suck it up and buy factory manuals on Monday but figure I better do that anyway. Time to go drinking. Thanks again
Old 03-17-2018, 05:12 PM
someoldguy
Cruising

Thank you!!! I have pretty much eliminated everything else. Diagrams would be greatly appreciated when you're able. I was going to suck it up and buy factory manuals on Monday but figure I better do that anyway. Time to go drinking. Thanks again
I reread your post. So a couple of things this is a 6 speed and the only thing I see on the dic is low fuel, service fuel system and tire pressures. No other messages. So does the buss failure still apply here? Since I can only read tire pressures when the ecm is connected this makes me think the ecm is alive.
Old 03-17-2018, 08:06 PM
geezel
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Probably useless but it only takes a few minutes. Disconnect the negative battery cable for a few minutes to reset everything.
Old 03-19-2018, 12:53 PM
bmfvette
Drifting

I also reread your PM as I skimmed it the 1st time I read it.

Yes, still sticking with my initial diagnosis. The CAN Bus is being compromised by either a short, open, or one of the modules is throwing noise on the bus causing no communication. The fact you stated you hooked up your scanner to the ODBII port and it said “no communication” verifies it. I’m not going to rule it out but you seem concentrated on whether the ECM is doing its thing. I think it’s fine.

You also state it’s a 2006 (which I over looked in my 1st read). With the minimum errors being displayed on the dash you don’t have the F55 option on this car as when it fails there’s about 10 error messages associated with this module (shocks inoperative, service ride control, can’t drive the car over 153 mph, etc. (serious on that last one!)).

Another thing with the 2006 is the VCIM is mounted under the passenger seat (I think it moved behind the glove box in 08). With it being under the seat it is prone to some of the same issues that the early airbag connections under the seat experienced. With the seat being moved forward and back the connectors would rub either the carpet, under the seat, or anything close. This compromised the connector enough to give airbag warnings (which GM later revised). They would also be compromised by just sitting in the seat and putting pressure on them. This could be what your experiencing with the VCIM module under the passenger seat. Be the 1st module I would go for (as stated in my 1st post). It has a couple of Blue connectors and one is the CAN Bus.

Here is a pic of the Bus with a manual trans. I will state this is for a 08 – 13. I don’t have one specifically for a 06. Searching Google Images may produce one if you think you need a 06. It also shows the F55 option, Just ignore it.

Good luck
Attached Images  
Old 03-19-2018, 03:20 PM
bmfvette
Drifting

By the way forgive my manners. Welcome to Corvette Forum!!

Old 03-20-2018, 01:32 AM
someoldguy
Cruising

By the way forgive my manners. Welcome to Corvette Forum!!

Hey thanks again. At this point I've checked so much stuff that its either this or some other open stopping the ecm from turning on. And the only place I've haven't looked is under the passenger seat so first thing in the morning. Thanks for everything.
Old 03-21-2018, 02:43 PM
someoldguy
Cruising

Hey thanks again. At this point I've checked so much stuff that its either this or some other open stopping the ecm from turning on. And the only place I've haven't looked is under the passenger seat so first thing in the morning. Thanks for everything.
So under the seat I found the module, disconnected which opens the buss, and got exactly the same symptoms so must be it. My connector has tan/black and tan but the pinout is different so I'll wait for the manuals to show up.
Old 03-21-2018, 03:58 PM
bmfvette
Drifting

So under the seat I found the module, disconnected which opens the buss, and got exactly the same symptoms so must be it. My connector has tan/black and tan but the pinout is different so I'll wait for the manuals to show up.
You're making progress! Yes, you did duplicate the symptom by physically breaking the bus, but that module may not be your culprit. If I was a betting man I would say he is the culprit or your EBCM module.

If you look at the diagram posted those are the correct color combos. The tan/black (circuit 2500) is the low side, the solid tan (circuit 2501) is the high side. The color and circuit numbers haven't change on the C6. The location and pinouts of some modules certainly have. That particular plug should (and I say should) be just the four wires to the bus and all you need to do is jump the tan/black too the tan/black and the tan too tan. Also, just encase you haven't figured it out, you don't actually have to try and crank the car, Just go to the "full on" ACC mode and see if the gas gauge works. If the gauge works you know you found your culprit. You will also not have the low fuel warning anymore once the gauge works obviously.

When this is all said and done please update the thread as to the fix for future reference of other members. Lots of these threads never have the fix just the issue.

Let me know of any issues or questions. If you need to talk I'll PM you my phone number.
Old 03-27-2018, 01:14 AM
someoldguy
Cruising

You're making progress! Yes, you did duplicate the symptom by physically breaking the bus, but that module may not be your culprit. If I was a betting man I would say he is the culprit or your EBCM module.

If you look at the diagram posted those are the correct color combos. The tan/black (circuit 2500) is the low side, the solid tan (circuit 2501) is the high side. The color and circuit numbers haven't change on the C6. The location and pinouts of some modules certainly have. That particular plug should (and I say should) be just the four wires to the bus and all you need to do is jump the tan/black too the tan/black and the tan too tan. Also, just encase you haven't figured it out, you don't actually have to try and crank the car, Just go to the "full on" ACC mode and see if the gas gauge works. If the gauge works you know you found your culprit. You will also not have the low fuel warning anymore once the gauge works obviously.

When this is all said and done please update the thread as to the fix for future reference of other members. Lots of these threads never have the fix just the issue.

Let me know of any issues or questions. If you need to talk I'll PM you my phone number.
Thanks. I still haven't seen the manuals. My device has a single connector and only a single tan and tan black. So I expect that the bcm input to it are different colors. And be assured I will post the results. I did not find a real discussion of this in my searching and only luckily stumbled across your previous post. And man are there a lot of possible causes and solutions for the no start symptom.
Old 03-27-2018, 02:09 PM
Pb82 Ronin
Le Mans Master

Received 942 Likes on 686 Posts

Subbing

Get notified of new replies

To 2006 no crank no start

Old 03-27-2018, 07:50 PM
SHERMAN AARON
1st Gear

Hi hope someone has some ideas. Drove car all was normal shut off and now cannot start. Car has 31k miles on it. Dash blacks out when start is pushed and comes back on after a bit with gauge sweep etc. gas gauge shows empty. Fobs are being read. Dic reads low fuel (theres plenty of gas), service fuel system. No other codes. I cannot seem to read codes on dic by using the option and fuel keys and my code reader gives a communication error and its a compatible unit. What's been done thus far; verify good battery by load testing battery and it charges to about 12.8 volts on battery tender. Checked fuel pump relay and all associated fuses all ok. Fuse block disassembled and inspected all ok. Fuse block ground cleaned and reassembled. Fuel pump will run when relay is jumpered but car will not start with it jumpered either. Checked for any harness damage none found. Reset all associated connectors. Since the owners manual describes this as a fuel system error or no input from ecm I purchased and programmed a replacement ecm. Same symptoms exactly. The computer company says it must be the bcm. This confuses me since everything inside the car works and fob function. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.
I had the same issue on my 2010, but it would come and go, I would drive it some where, stop, try to start, nothing, let it sit, try it again hours later it would start, this went on for several years, (changed BCM 4 times) would clear up for a month or so then would act up again. even left it at the dealer for a month, they couldn't figure it out. (turns out my dealer didn't have a real diagnostic tech, just a parts changer) I had the luck of it breaking down in Columbus Ga, It took the dealer there, 30 min to figure it out! a couple of corroded terminals in the plug for the BCM, they replaced them and I haven't had an issue since (over a year).
Old 03-29-2018, 01:13 AM
someoldguy
Cruising

Originally Posted by SHERMAN AARON
I had the same issue on my 2010, but it would come and go, I would drive it some where, stop, try to start, nothing, let it sit, try it again hours later it would start, this went on for several years, (changed BCM 4 times) would clear up for a month or so then would act up again. even left it at the dealer for a month, they couldn't figure it out. (turns out my dealer didn't have a real diagnostic tech, just a parts changer) I had the luck of it breaking down in Columbus Ga, It took the dealer there, 30 min to figure it out! a couple of corroded terminals in the plug for the BCM, they replaced them and I haven't had an issue since (over a year).
The ongoing saga. So the manuals arrived and the communication module is not under the seat but in the back right of the car at the front of the right storage well under a panel. So disconnecting this, which breaks the buss, gives me additional codes generated by the loss of the brake module which is downstream of the other one. So the buss is alive. So the bcm simply cannot see the ecm. Which makes sense since the fuel system runs thru the ecm with data going to the bcm. I'm exactly where I started: bad ecm or loss of power to the ecm. Since I now have the pinouts i'll check the harness. But this wouldn't be the first time a replacement electronic part showed up bad since this is the replacement rebuilt ecm.
Old 04-01-2018, 09:46 PM
bmfvette
Drifting

Apologies bro, my job requires me to be a road warrior. Didn’t mean to leave you hanging.

From reading your last post, looks like things haven’t improved.

As for the VCIM being in the rear compartment, when I was looking for a 2005 GMLAN diagram for you the research showed the module was under the seat. In 2008 it moved behind the console. Maybe you have an early 2005 and they move it mid year. I don’t know (just guessing). Regardless where it’s located, you’re troubleshooting will be the same. Explains why the module under the seat only had one set of the Tan and Tan/Blk wires.

The issue Sherman Arron is mentioning is a valid issue and has happened to many of C5’s, C6’s, and will happen to C7’s. The “utters” that directs water from the cowl will clog with debris and back water up in the passenger side foot well and corrode the terminals on all the electronics. That would be a safe bet from what he described. It’s very well documented all the way back to the C5 here on the forum (and all other forums).

Now that you have your manuals, I will PM you my number if you want to discuss and vent a little! I’ll be home the next couple day’s.

Quick Reply: 2006 no crank no start