C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Transmission or Clutch problem help?

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2018, 04:46 PM
rmtt
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Default Transmission or Clutch problem help?

Hey guys...needing help with an issue. I know its going to end up going to the shop...but trying to gauge the damage.

Wife and I were cruising in our 2005 M6 Z51. About 45 minutes into the drive, the car grabs hard like I ran over something and got stuck. I immediately pulled over....and couldn't get the car to shift into gear correctly. Checked fluids...everything was fine. I do the Ranger clutch fluid clean. Clutch pedal operates normally....no codes thrown.....no abnormal temps.

I get it in reverse, but trying to back up...it's grabbing like the tires are locking on and off.

Was finally able to get it into 3rd, and since we were close to home....I was able to get back although I could hear chatter from the gearbox. At that point I didn't try the gears again as I was scared I may not be able to get it back in gear.

We get home....and now I can shift between gears easily....but can feel restriction when trying to back the car up. So I just shut it down.

Car has never had an issue a side from the pedal spring breaking on me about 3 months ago. I had an occasional code about the clutch switch...so I figured that went out with the spring. But after a few days, the cel light went out and figured that replacing the spring allowed the pedal all the way back up making the switch for a few cycles...which took care of itself.

Car has about 74,000 miles on it....again never had any issues.

Any ideas what I may be looking at?

Thanks guys.
Old 03-18-2018, 09:48 AM
rmtt
Pro

So just an update. This morning I flushed the clutch fluid again even though it was pretty clean.

With the car off or running (not moving) and the clutch in.....it shifts into every year easily.

I put it in reverse, slowly backed up and no restrictions although I could hear some vibration sounds. Put back into 1st...ease forward and the same.

Put back into reverse, and as I'm backing up....it grabs and catches twice like you've hit the brakes....and I hear a significant noise in the front area. So I shut the car back down.

So is this clutch or transmission related?

I have noticed in the past that while sitting at a red light and the clutch pressed in...it would occasionally grind if I shifted to first.

Just trying to get a general idea.

I'm in upstate SC....Spartanburg to be exact. And we don't have a lot of corvette specific mechanics in my area....or any that I know of since Joey Cartee shut his place down.
Old 03-18-2018, 05:58 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,481 Likes on 1,944 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

Sounds clutch-related to me. There've been issues with Master in the past.

I'd do an advanced search in Corvette Forum's regional section on Corvette technician/mechanic in SC.* Failing that, I'd also contact any Corv. club in your city, area or state, or all 3 to find a shop as close as possible that really does know Corvettes. It is possible you'll be going to either a dealer nearby, or an indie shop not so nearby.

Off topic, it could also be rear diff issue but I tend to doubt it if you can feel it when you shift, or try to. Also, after 13 years in there, you may need a thorough drain and fill of the clutch fluid, good as the Ranger method is (it may not be enough). Another thought is that since your car has the T56 trans and that's one that has been around a long time, you may start considering talking to trans repair shops that know a thing or two about T56s.

Just did a google search for SC Corvette shops; here's what I found. Know of any of them with good or bad reputations? As you say, most are not close to you.

https://www.google.com/search?ei=qOG....0.Jsz8OwDEdwg

Come back and tell us what it is/was. Good luck.

* https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/southeast-42/

Last edited by AORoads; 03-18-2018 at 06:04 PM.
Old 05-13-2018, 03:01 PM
rmtt
Pro

So the transmission was toast. When pulled, about 2/3 of the fluid was missing. Everything was discolored due to heat. What's weird is that the transmission casing looked brand new, no stains or signs of a leak, and the garage floor where it's always parked has no signs of anything. I needed a 1st, 2nd, 3rd, and 6th gear.....all new syncros, main shaft.....essentially when it was put back together....I had a level 2 upgrade done. I also had a few parts I had been holding onto, and figured might as well get them done since everything was out.

Vararam Intake
LG Super Pro 1 3/4"Headers
No Cats (X pipe)
Tunnel Plate
Peak ported Fast 102
160 Stat
Dyno Tune

Just talked to my guy. I can't pick it up until next week because of work constraints....but he said the following numbers were put down.

400 RWHP
404 RWTQ

I will get the graph next week although I don't have a comparison from before as the transmission was injured....hence the upgrade.

How does these numbers look to you guys? Mind you the last time I got to drive it.....it was bone stock aside from a cat-back. So I'm hoping to feel a nice SOTP improvement!
Old 05-13-2018, 03:19 PM
RicK T
Team Owner

Received 556 Likes on 452 Posts

Sorry for your troubles but an interesting case. Wonder where the trans fluid went. I guess you'll be adding trans fluid level check to your maintenance routine.

Dyno numbers look pretty good for an LS2. I'm sure members who have done similar mods will chime in with their numbers for reference.

Have fun.

Get notified of new replies

To Transmission or Clutch problem help?

Quick Reply: Transmission or Clutch problem help?