C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2005 Exhaust Help

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2018, 10:27 AM
Harold R
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2005 Exhaust Help

Hello looking for some exhaust advice. I've been drooling over corvettes since being a kid in the 80's and finally got my dream car about a week ago.

I purchased a 2005 c6 with a m6 and z51 package. I'm looking for some help with exhaust. I've been reading through the forum trying to educate myself.

First I don't really want to change anything but the axle back exhaust and most likely will try to find something used to save some money.

Secondly I really want to make sure I don't have a lot of drone. I put aftermarket exhaust on a truck one time and though it sounded great it got old at highway speeds. I want to be able to have a conversation with my wife on a trip.

I'm guessing after reading many post and watching videos the below options are the best for what I'm looking for.

1. Stock NPP exhaust really appeals to me but my question is what would I need to make them work besides the mufflers and the mild to wild switch? Looks like anything newer than a 08 will cause me to need a new cross pipe? Also I'm guessing I will need some vacume lines to make these functional or will just the mild to wild switch do the trick?

2. I have also been looking at cheap ebay cut outs but it sounds like these wear out quickly and cause overheating problems.

3. Lots of votes on here for Corsa exhaust and Borla so I'm looking at that as well.

4. Are there any after market NPP exhaust systems to fit the car in a bolt on fashion?

Thanks in advance for any help.
Old 07-21-2018, 09:43 PM
Dave S
Retired & lovin' it!
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 444 Likes on 332 Posts

I've had my '05/MN6/Z51 since new & early on installed AR headers with their hi-flo cats & Corsa Sport mufflers. Very happy with this combination over the past 10 years. If you don't want to go for headers, then the Corsa Sports alone would also be a great choice.
Old 07-21-2018, 10:20 PM
saplumr
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,250 Likes on 894 Posts

NPP tips are way to small. 4” tips do a good job of filling the exhaust tip area. If you want “adjustable” volume get quality cutouts.
Old 07-22-2018, 11:41 AM
John Harry
Melting Slicks

Received 437 Likes on 270 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10-'11-'12-'13-'14

"Good" sound is very subjective. Try to get in touch with a local Corvette club where you can hear different cars in person.
Old 07-22-2018, 05:11 PM
sfrank2886
Racer

Received 76 Likes on 55 Posts

Watch the parts for sale forum for a used set of Npp. These are great and are the best of both worlds as they are cheap, quiet and loud with the flip of a switch so to speak. Purchase the Npp in a box from a vendor and your all in for about $500 - $550.00

Get notified of new replies

To 2005 Exhaust Help

Quick Reply: 2005 Exhaust Help