C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Creaking on slopes from tunnel area

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2018, 12:10 PM
aimz
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Creaking on slopes from tunnel area

Hello everyone,

I am experiencing a new creaking issue with my 2008 C6 and my local shop seems to run out of ideas. The creaking sounds like an old ship or an old tree in strong winds, it is hard to locate but seems to come from the tunnel area. The noise is present when the car is entering or exiting slopes (rear and front wheels on different levels) and (less violently) during parking with big steering angles. What I find very weird is that the sound only occures once the car is warm, so for the first few miles after starting the engine the noise isnt there.

Any ideas on what I might look for?

Thanks in advance!
Old 08-03-2018, 03:38 PM
jaredtxrx
Burning Brakes

Received 196 Likes on 172 Posts

Check all your suspension bushings, brackets, and bolts.

I had a similar creaking noise when entering and exiting my driveway (it has a pretty steep slope). It was being cause by a bolt that was missing on the driver's side rear sway bar bracket. Replaced the bolt and bracket and haven't hear a peep since. There is also the tunnel brace that sits just above the exhaust, check that as well for loose/missing bolts.
Old 08-04-2018, 12:56 PM
hungryhippo
Drifting

Received 57 Likes on 50 Posts

Try tightening down on the tunnel plate bolts. I don't remember the torque spec, but it's not much.
Old 08-05-2018, 07:08 PM
aimz
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thanks guys, suspension looks ok, cant see any missing bolts or bad bushings. Will check the tunnel plate bolts next. This is also what I expect to cause the problem... since it seems to be temperature-related the tunnel-plate seems most plausible to me.

Get notified of new replies

To Creaking on slopes from tunnel area

Quick Reply: Creaking on slopes from tunnel area