C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cooling Fans don't turn on after water pump swap

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2018, 09:33 PM
4LtVette
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Cooling Fans don't turn on after water pump swap

So my 6 speed 09 started leaking water from the water pump. While tackling on this job i decided to upgrade the radiator to a C6Z radiator. I was in no rush to do it since I hardly ever drive the Vette. 2 months later I decided to finish the job.
After swapping out both parts and putting everything back on, the cooling fans don't turn on.
I didn't disconnect the fans since they were not in the way.
Not sure what happened.

Where to start?
I swapped the fuse from the fan with another one and fans still don't work.
What can I check next?
Any help is welcomed.
Old 08-08-2018, 04:19 PM
Dano523
Race Director

Received 3,055 Likes on 2,196 Posts

You lost me on fans, since the C6 OEM only has one fan for the radiator.

As for connectors, check and clean the one on the back side of the radiator passenger side and pray that when you disconnect the connector to clean it, the connector is not melted.

The red dot is on the radiator fan connector,
Attachment 48334002

And one that is melted.

Also to check the ran and it's connector, start the car and tune on the A/C. The AC will turn the radiator fan on even with the engine is cold.

If you have two fans, then we need to see what controller you have in play, since it will not be driving by the oem PWM isntead.
Hence the PWM is the silver box on the OEM radiator shroud, and what the upper connector above is sending power/control to control the fan.

Last edited by Dano523; 08-08-2018 at 04:24 PM.
The following users liked this post:
4LtVette (08-08-2018)
Old 08-08-2018, 04:36 PM
4LtVette
Advanced

Originally Posted by Dano523
You lost me on fans, since the C6 OEM only has one fan for the radiator.

As for connectors, check and clean the one on the back side of the radiator passenger side and pray that when you disconnect the connector to clean it, the connector is not melted.

The red dot is on the radiator fan connector,

And one that is melted.

Also to check the ran and it's connector, start the car and tune on the A/C. The AC will turn the radiator fan on even with the engine is cold.

If you have two fans, then we need to see what controller you have in play, since it will not be driving by the oem PWM isntead.
Hence the PWM is the silver box on the OEM radiator shroud, and what the upper connector above is sending power/control to control the fan.
Correction, "Fan". It ended up being the plug. It was melted and stuck together. I fixed it this morning and the fan is working as it should.
Thanks for the reply.
Old 08-08-2018, 04:57 PM
Dano523
Race Director

Received 3,055 Likes on 2,196 Posts

What fix, since I have seen guys do all kind of things with the upper connector to beef up that connector point, and if the reason that the connector melted was due to the fan tables being too aggressive with the fan coming on too much, then it will just pushes the same problem down to the PWM connector to melt the PWM connector and it pins next.

If the radiator fan turn on tables are still stock, then with the motor off, spin the radiator fan by hand to see if its binding, with the fan motor bearings on the way out the problem isntead.
Old 08-08-2018, 08:08 PM
LSCHLEM
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10

Default Connector a weak link in the cooling system

Originally Posted by Dano523
What fix, since I have seen guys do all kind of things with the upper connector to beef up that connector point, and if the reason that the connector melted was due to the fan tables being too aggressive with the fan coming on too much, then it will just pushes the same problem down to the PWM connector to melt the PWM connector and it pins next.

If the radiator fan turn on tables are still stock, then with the motor off, spin the radiator fan by hand to see if its binding, with the fan motor bearings on the way out the problem isntead.
I had a similar problem except my fan had an intermittent running with PWM at 100%. Drove me nuts . The connector terminals appeared ok with some oxidation. The problem was solved with
bypassing the leads around the connector with heavy duty stakons and using HEAT SHRINK to seal the terminals. Worked well for about 2 months now.

Get notified of new replies

To Cooling Fans don't turn on after water pump swap

Quick Reply: Cooling Fans don't turn on after water pump swap