C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What have you done for the starter heat soak problem, z06/427 motor

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2018, 02:51 PM
froggy47
Race Director

Received 194 Likes on 164 Posts

Originally Posted by Dano523
Cover is for the lower fuse box below the BCM, and you just need to spin the cover 180 degrees to get it correctly orientated with the snaps to lock it into to place.

The add a circuit I put in for the exhaust cut out and another one I added to hard wire my V1 are sticking down and blocking the cover from going back on. I could move the V! bit to another fuse spot that is OFF when the ign is off on when car is running. Anyone suggest one that is not near the bottom of this fuse box? The cut out exhaust has to be where it is of course. It's working fine and I REALLY like being able to go loud for a while, then quiet when it gets on my nerves or I want to listen to music and quiet of course in the hood. GM should have made it that way of course but makes too much sense.

Old 10-02-2018, 10:35 AM
0DEITIM
Former Vendor

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by tomcat11
Thank you Froggy for posting the video and bringing this product to my attention. Thank You DEI and all the other vendors for developing products that help all of us make our cars better and make up for the short comings that should have been addressed at GM.
Thank you for supporting DEI and our products.
Old 10-02-2018, 10:37 AM
0DEITIM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by Dano523
Froggy, let me put it this way,
Not a fan of trapping heat of any kind on the cat's, or even blocking the air flow past them, since it will shorten their life.

As for heat tapping down pipe, never been a fan of such, since what the wrap can trap itself. So if reduction of heat radiation is needed, then ceramic coating just does a better job without the fear of trapping instead.

So problem is heat soak to the starter alone since the cat and down pipe are not having problems themselves, and the simple $14 heat shield on the starter alone, solves the problem nicely without all the needed extra work of trapping in heat of other parts.

As for the starter now with heat soak problems, being that is has seen a lot of heat soak to begin with, it needs to be pulled down to be cleaned/greased/refreshend, then the heat shield install on it.

Regarding starter heat shields, it's kind of just luck of the draw that someone did find a $14 unit that works, since before such, were faced with bolt on built units in the $80 range, just breaking metal to make one yourself, or heat blanks that again, can trap debris.

Regarding this thread, since it seems to turned vendor product pimping with a lot of extra products and work to promote sales (that I don't see begin needed to start with due to there short comings long term), I wash my hands of this thread and lets just let it go at that. Simply put, debating with a paid vendor to put anything of their products in an off-color just end up with either the response deleted by staff, or just being ban from the site instead (not mater if the point is valid or not).

Cheers,
Dano523
By no means was my intent to "pimp out" our products. Froggy was nice enough to do a video that helped DEI gain some exposure on this forum and help him solve a heat issue he was having. I sent him the products that I thought would fit his needs best in return for his video. DEI is paying to be on this forum to support customers and learn where we can get involved to help solve heat issues with our products. If we can gain some exposure and help someone on here at the same time I wouldn't call that "pimping out" product, but more of a win-win. If any every has any question on DEI or our products please feel free to contact me.
Old 10-02-2018, 02:32 PM
froggy47
Race Director

I just ordered ACDelco # 337-1201 from Amazon @ $93. I'll do a video on how it goes. Prime delivered "free".

Thanks all.

BTW local Chev dealer wanted $543 & $45 core for what I am pretty sure is the same starter, go figure.

Same one on Rock Auto for $92 plus ship.

Last edited by froggy47; 10-02-2018 at 02:36 PM.
The following users liked this post:
BigVette427 (10-04-2018)
Old 10-04-2018, 12:14 PM
BigVette427
Drifting

Received 405 Likes on 253 Posts

Good thread here. I have a 2012 Z06 with 7.5k miles and experience this slow-start when hot phenomenon as well, it is apparently much more common than I was aware. I like the heat shield wrap for the starter but I'm wondering if the starter won't still ultimately get to the same high temps that it otherwise would, and then when it does, fear that this shield may impede the ability of the starter to shed that heat and cool as otherwise it normally would?
Old 10-04-2018, 01:50 PM
froggy47
Race Director

Originally Posted by BigVette427
Good thread here. I have a 2012 Z06 with 7.5k miles and experience this slow-start when hot phenomenon as well, it is apparently much more common than I was aware. I like the heat shield wrap for the starter but I'm wondering if the starter won't still ultimately get to the same high temps that it otherwise would, and then when it does, fear that this shield may impede the ability of the starter to shed that heat and cool as otherwise it normally would?
I think only "time will tell". I am putting in a new acdelco and wrapping it with dei & also cat shield, so I am a test case. 9k on a 2013 z.

Keep posted.
Old 10-04-2018, 02:12 PM
0DEITIM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by froggy47
I think only "time will tell". I am putting in a new acdelco and wrapping it with dei & also cat shield, so I am a test case. 9k on a 2013 z.

Keep posted.
Bigvette427

If using the DEI Versa Shield starter wrap, it simply vel-cro's over top of the starter and solenoid. The outer skin is a reflective mylar covering that will help reflect ambient heat away. The inside material is a lightweight glass fiber matting to help block the heat from coming thru the shield. This shield also is open on both ends to allow for airflow thru the starter. The catalytic converter shield is design to clamp on allowing an air gap but blocking the direct heat from going directly on to the starter in Froggy's case. There may some cases and situations where an engine or exhaust system is upgraded and produce more heat, or be closer to the starter and cause an extreme heat soak,but our products will help and in most cases cure the issue. Please feel free to contact me if you have any questions.
Thanks, Tim
Old 10-13-2018, 04:44 PM
froggy47
Race Director

Bringing this up to date, I am back to thinking the loose nut on the starter (found when I went to unscrew it) is/was the problem along with heat. The nut that fastens the conn to alt & conn to batt both on one stud. Perfect cold start, slow/no hot start. Bad/loose connection. I am going with the original starter (I have a new spare). I am wrapping the cat & starter. Wish luck. Race tomorrow.

I would like any info on who/what fastens this on original assembly? Hard to figure a robot does it. Only 9k miles & doubt it's been touched by anyone since built. Anyone know? I think some guy/gal never got it tight, but was tight enough to roll off the line, problem to show up later, miles down the road.

Last edited by froggy47; 10-13-2018 at 04:49 PM.
The following users liked this post:
MURDEREDOUT (12-09-2018)
Old 04-24-2019, 04:28 PM
TreyE
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by DEITIM
Hello Everyone,

Tim from DEI here. We get his question a lot. While every application and engine is just a little bit different, typically we see great results with our Universal starter shields. Check out our Versa shield for the original standard GM starter (the big one). We also offer a smaller version for the high torque mini starters or new OE styles. P# 010384 for the bigger shield http://designengineering.com/versa-s...tarter-shield/ and P# 010384 for the smaller shield http://designengineering.com/mini-versa-shield/ . Also depending on how your header tubes run we also like to recommend wrapping your headers or at least the area by the starter. We also offer a pipe shield that clamps on over the pipe to shield heat away from the desired area you want to protect. http://designengineering.com/titanium-pipe-shield/ all of these products are available from Corvette Central or Zip Products. Feel free to contact me with any questions.

Thanks, Tim
How do you know which shield you need? I have a 2006 Z06 so which one is best for me?
Old 04-24-2019, 10:58 PM
froggy47
Race Director

Originally Posted by TreyE
How do you know which shield you need? I have a 2006 Z06 so which one is best for me?
You might want to look the videos I did on Froggy's Garage

Quick Reply: What have you done for the starter heat soak problem, z06/427 motor