C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

torque Tube let go severe noise

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2018, 07:26 PM
magnoman
Burning Brakes

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Default torque Tube let go severe noise

Was at Watkins Glen today did four laps heard and felt bad noise rattling banging came in off track barely
transmission seems fine clutch engages fine transmission shifts smooth .
Can be in neutral let out clutch sounds like the torque tube going to fall out of the car . Let clutch out car bucks and vibrates severely .
Jacked up rear of car can spin rear tires in neutral Fine smooth no binding or grinding .
Had to get flatbed at home five hours !!
I purchased car a few months ago 08 0Z06 has 35k miles person before me had Diamond stage clutch installed that Chevy dealer back in February .
Thinking torque tube bushing broke or bearings went bad unreal . They obviously missed something installation .
talked with Chevy service manager today pulled up repair order said they did not change TT bearings on clutch install .
Old 08-27-2018, 10:51 AM
0Matt@Tick
Former Vendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Most of the time, people don't even think about changing the torque tube bearings or the bushings. We normally have to ask the customer if they want them to be replaced. And they all say the same thing... "Is that something that goes bad?"

Just don't let the dealer kill you on cost of the bearings, we sell a kit for less than half of what I've been told the dealer charges. Good Luck!
Old 08-27-2018, 01:03 PM
schpenxel
Race Director

Received 1,194 Likes on 1,053 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

Yeah, bushings and/or bearings. Replace them all while it's apart IMO.
Old 08-27-2018, 01:46 PM
magnoman
Burning Brakes

It was catastrophic failure I think of rubber coupler Went back to dealer Who installed the clutch they will not honor any warrantee since clutch was not GM an aftermarket even though has nothing to do with the torque tube .

found a connection at a local Chevy dealer where I know the general manager and they are taking care of me .

Will post video of the failure going into turn one at Watkins Glen loud bang been at turn nine severe metal to metal contact .
Old 08-27-2018, 10:44 PM
Dano523
Race Director

Received 3,018 Likes on 2,174 Posts

For me, running Watkins Glen for high speed work, and dealer still doing work on the your car, does not go hand and hand.

Hence I would find an independent shop that works on road corse cars as well, since with you running the car for high speed course work, there are areas on the car that the tech needs to look at, that the dealers just dealing with DD type street driven cars may not be checking isntead.

Hence dealer already missed checking the Torque tube on a clutch replacement, and parts like Wheel hubs and other suspension parts should be checked like a hawk every time that a tech is looking at the car isntead.
Old 08-28-2018, 09:09 AM
magnoman
Burning Brakes

I’ve been running a C5Z for seven years at all the tracks in the Northeast never had an issue with torque tube couplers did have pilot bearing go .
I do all my own work in a mechanic at Ford motor company for years no one touches my car but me except for intensive labor projects like pulling the drivetrain .
The car was serviced before I purchase it talk to dealer yesterday he did the clutch installed said they didn’t do a torque tube bearings don’t know why they would not honor or warrantee the failure of the torque tube.

if you find a dealer with mechanics know what you’re doing it’s not an issue . These cars should be able to handle four laps around Watkins Glen without catastrophic drivetrain failure no matter who installed the parts .

Went to my local Chevy dealer yesterday had a contact from a friend who knows the manager they were very supportive and nice took the car in right away give me a break on labor cost all the mechanics there are old school 50 years and older and working on these cars for decades. Went to my local Chevy dealer yesterday had a contact from a friend who knows the manager they were very supportive and nice took the car in right away give me a break on labor cost all the mechanics there are old school 50 years and older and working on these cars for decades
One mechanic told me there is a procedure for taking down top tubes after the install that many people don’t pay attention to which is starting the car let it get to operate temperature re-torque the top two bolts let it cool down start car again to operating temperature and re-torque bolts torque to have to be perfectly seated and straight or bearings or fail. One mechanic told me there is a procedure for taking down torque tube’s after the install that many people don’t pay attention to which is starting the car let it get to operate temperature re-torque the tour two bolts let it cool down start car again to operating temperature and re-torque bolts torque to have to be perfectly seated and straight or bearings or fail

so to sum it up I think I found a good dealer with capable mechanics to do drivetrain work .
trying to get Shelby to cover the cost of the new torque to if needed not sure if I can rebuild the old one until they take it apart if I do not going to install the OEM rubber couplers
Will install the aluminum couplers with vinyl inserts that cannot tear apart .

Old 08-28-2018, 11:31 AM
Dano523
Race Director

The six shooter couplers may not be the way to go, since a lot where having problems with the rear coupling bolt and sleeves shearing since they do not allow enough flex in them.
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...-exploded.html

So would replace the OEM's with the VTRB-12's instead.

But to add, you throw enough power even at them, and your going to have problems too.
Old 08-28-2018, 11:56 AM
magnoman
Burning Brakes

Yes was looking at these couplers. Depends on if my torque tube can be rebuilt it might be too far gone – need to order brand new torque tube would just leave it stock . My car basically start motor With New cylinder heads and large radiator no power adders as of now . Thinking of just doing headers and exhaust .
Old 08-28-2018, 12:03 PM
schpenxel
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '15

Highly doubt it's too far gone. Pretty much everything side of the tube can be replaced for less than a whole new one would cost.
Old 08-28-2018, 12:08 PM
magnoman
Burning Brakes

Will find out soon the drive shaft was slamming the outer tube hope did not damage it and also the shaft it self could bend .
Here is y tube link . big band out of turn 1did not know what happend backed off and then it let go in turn 9 really bad into pits noise ....ugly

Old 08-28-2018, 03:53 PM
magnoman
Burning Brakes

Just back from dealer like though drive shaft will not turn inside of TT . Not worth the labor of taking a part trying to rebuild to find shaft is bent and will wear out new bearings and couplers .. It's new TT time ....They are contacting Chevy service rep to see if they will help with cost of part .
Old 09-04-2018, 03:49 PM
magnoman
Burning Brakes

Default Torque Tube bang

Originally Posted by magnoman
Just back from dealer like though drive shaft will not turn inside of TT . Not worth the labor of taking a part trying to rebuild to find shaft is bent and will wear out new bearings and couplers .. It's new TT time ....They are contacting Chevy service rep to see if they will help with cost of part .

Old 09-04-2018, 07:50 PM
Proff
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I’ve had two clutches done on mine. Both times I told the Corvette race shop in Lewisville TX to absolutely disassemble and check the torque tube for any wear anywhere-rubber, steel, all of it. Both times all fine, but damn well worth the $100 bill that the labor cost to tear it down. I consider it ‘basic preventive maintenance’on a C6 Corvette. Hope I never have what happened to yours.
Thanks for posting.
Paul in Dallas
Old 09-04-2018, 09:09 PM
Dano523
Race Director

Got to love it when you shear a bolt off at the flange.

Hence would not be in a rush to just bolt everything back together, but take the time to spin the shaft between centers to make sure it not bent to start with, and what caused the bolt to shear instead.

Old 09-04-2018, 09:49 PM
magnoman
Burning Brakes

No using the old TT and trying to rebuild just for that reason . Purchased a brand new one .... OMG $1700 ..
Old 09-05-2018, 12:18 PM
Dano523
Race Director

No using the old TT and trying to rebuild just for that reason . Purchased a brand new one .... OMG $1700 ..
And the epic part since I don't see you running the stock couplers or coupler bolts again, still have to rip it apart to change parts.

Hell, if the old TT housing was still fine, could have picked up a stronger shaft to replace your bent shaft, and still been cheaper with new bearings, couplers, and ARP bolts instead.
Old 09-05-2018, 12:34 PM
schpenxel
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '15

Originally Posted by Dano523

Hell, if the old TT housing was still fine, could have picked up a stronger shaft to replace your bent shaft, and still been cheaper with new bearings, couplers, and ARP bolts instead.
Exactly.
Old 09-05-2018, 03:59 PM
magnoman
Burning Brakes

Problem was shop could not leave my car on lift and wait for me to rebuild old TT plus new upgraded shaft like $800 then $200 each for better couplers and bearings pretty close to new TT cost . Rather as some $ and get the carbon shaft that does not use couplers .
Think going to keep old tube and rebuilt it down the road . For know will go with new OE .

Get notified of new replies

To torque Tube let go severe noise

Quick Reply: torque Tube let go severe noise