C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

6L80E stuck in 4th gear

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2018, 02:34 PM
aj alaniz
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 6L80E stuck in 4th gear

Recently car was running great so we took it to the dyno. Drove fine, dyno fine but when I got off the dyno, the car stayed in 4th gear on my 6L80E trans. Even with paddle shifters it wont move. We put the tune back to stock and nothing. We tried the tune i previously had and still no luck. I got the car home, looked under and noticed some burnt wires over the exhaust but it was dark to see where they went. Following day I had to leave out of town. There are NO CEL codes. Can anyone tell me what wires these are... this is where they burnt.. its a red wire a beige wire and a black wire that come from trans harness towards the back driver tire area.. trans temps stay 150s-170s.. not sure if the wires are brake related or speed related or trans related. The car is only 450hp area and trans has about 20k miles.. ls2 fbo cammed and 3600 stall.. like I said.. it worked perfect before and during dyno.. car
Old 09-04-2018, 04:52 PM
FLC6GS
Instructor

Received 53 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by aj alaniz
Recently car was running great so we took it to the dyno. Drove fine, dyno fine but when I got off the dyno, the car stayed in 4th gear on my 6L80E trans. Even with paddle shifters it wont move. We put the tune back to stock and nothing. We tried the tune i previously had and still no luck. I got the car home, looked under and noticed some burnt wires over the exhaust but it was dark to see where they went. Following day I had to leave out of town. There are NO CEL codes. Can anyone tell me what wires these are... this is where they burnt.. its a red wire a beige wire and a black wire that come from trans harness towards the back driver tire area.. trans temps stay 150s-170s.. not sure if the wires are brake related or speed related or trans related. The car is only 450hp area and trans has about 20k miles.. ls2 fbo cammed and 3600 stall.. like I said.. it worked perfect before and during dyno.. car
Going by those colors (Red/Beige/Black) and it's the Transmission Harness:
Out of the Transmission from the Control Solenoid Valve Assy you have:
  • Orange/Black > Park/Nuetral Signal to the ECM
  • Red/White > ECM/TCM 15A Fuse in engine compartment block
  • Black/White > Block ground
  • Tan > ECM/BCM Data Bus Neg
  • Tan/Black > ECM/BCM Data Bus Pos
If this helps

Old 09-04-2018, 05:45 PM
aj alaniz
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by FLC6GS
Going by those colors (Red/Beige/Black) and it's the Transmission Harness:
Out of the Transmission from the Control Solenoid Valve Assy you have:
  • Orange/Black > Park/Nuetral Signal to the ECM
  • Red/White > ECM/TCM 15A Fuse in engine compartment block
  • Black/White > Block ground
  • Tan > ECM/BCM Data Bus Neg
  • Tan/Black > ECM/BCM Data Bus Pos
If this helps
if those 3 wires were melted, do u think that could cause the trans to stay stuck in 4th gear. Im out of town so the car is parked. I havent checked for a blown fuse yet. Its just crazy that it worked perfect before dyno.
Old 06-20-2019, 07:01 PM
Edog27
4th Gear

Default Stuck in 4th gear

if those 3 wires were melted, do u think that could cause the trans to stay stuck in 4th gear. Im out of town so the car is parked. I havent checked for a blown fuse yet. Its just crazy that it worked perfect before dyno.
Did you get the problem fixed? If so please let me know because I’m having the same problem and no one can figure it out !!
Old 06-21-2019, 07:21 AM
BIGMAC
Drifting

Received 208 Likes on 136 Posts

Mine did the same thing after a burnout. Stuck in gear and no codes thrown. Sounds like "limp mode" but that should throw a code. Fortunately, mine was OK on the next ignition cycle. I assume you have tried disconnecting and reconnecting the battery.
Old 06-21-2019, 09:20 AM
Edog27
4th Gear

Originally Posted by BIGMAC
Mine did the same thing after a burnout. Stuck in gear and no codes thrown. Sounds like "limp mode" but that should throw a code. Fortunately, mine was OK on the next ignition cycle. I assume you have tried disconnecting and reconnecting the battery.
Yea disconnected the battery same results...
Old 06-21-2019, 12:05 PM
BIGMAC
Drifting

Originally Posted by Edog27
Yea disconnected the battery same results...
Even though my problem "fixed itself" I did some investigating to try to find the cause. I was informed it could be the valve body and/or the Transmission Control Module (TCM).
Old 06-21-2019, 03:57 PM
Edog27
4th Gear

Is it expensive??? Or requires a lot of work??
Old 06-21-2019, 05:57 PM
BIGMAC
Drifting

Don't know.
The following users liked this post:
Edog27 (06-22-2019)

Get notified of new replies

To 6L80E stuck in 4th gear

Quick Reply: 6L80E stuck in 4th gear