C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Attaching two Fan Control Modules in parallel

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2018, 01:27 PM
1VetteJocky
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Attaching two Fan Control Modules in parallel

I just bought a Dewitts shorty radiator/fan combo for my C6 with an A&A supercharger kit. I need to run the two 25A spal fans which would exceed the power specs for the OEM fan controller. I just happen to have an additional OEM fan controller. Can I attach the control signal wire to both fan control modules and use one for each fan? I have a great desire to keep the control of the fans under ECM control. Not knowing the electrical characteristics of the signal input (and ECM output), I don't know if splicing and running the line in parallel to two modules would work or not.
Old 09-07-2018, 01:34 PM
leadfart
Pro

Received 223 Likes on 144 Posts

I also bought one of their radiators, with the Spal fans. Are you saying that I can't splice both fans into the fan controller? That sure isn't what I thought I was buying.
Old 09-07-2018, 08:05 PM
Dano523
Race Director

Received 3,020 Likes on 2,175 Posts

Originally Posted by 1VetteJocky
I just bought a Dewitts shorty radiator/fan combo for my C6 with an A&A supercharger kit. I need to run the two 25A spal fans which would exceed the power specs for the OEM fan controller. I just happen to have an additional OEM fan controller. Can I attach the control signal wire to both fan control modules and use one for each fan? I have a great desire to keep the control of the fans under ECM control. Not knowing the electrical characteristics of the signal input (and ECM output), I don't know if splicing and running the line in parallel to two modules would work or not.
No, even if you connect the actual power needs to battery with relays, your still drawing too much power on the ECM control wire to drive both PWM's, and chance burning up the ECM itself.

As for single OEM PWM to both fans, drawing too much through the PWM, and going to burn it up instead.
Note, some have gotten way with such, since the Dewitts fans draw less power, but only for street use with the fans only coming on once it a while. If your going to be running the motor hard, where the fans will be coming on all the time full blast, questionable how long the oem PWM is going to hold up running both fans. so in cases of street use, moving the PWM up and way from the heat, helps a lot.

Last edited by Dano523; 09-07-2018 at 08:11 PM.
The following users liked this post:
1VetteJocky (09-07-2018)
Old 09-07-2018, 09:05 PM
realcanuk
Le Mans Master

Received 394 Likes on 359 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

Running dual spals through the single PWM for years with no issues and my fans run a lot. I think you're making something out of nothing here.
1VetteJocky (09-07-2018)
Old 09-07-2018, 09:41 PM
Dano523
Race Director

Originally Posted by realcanuk
Running dual spals through the single PWM for years with no issues and my fans run a lot. I think you're making something out of nothing here.
Maybe,
But your a strip guy, while I'm a road course track guy, so two different worlds of just how long/high of motor temps, that we will run the fans full blast for isntead.
Old 09-07-2018, 09:44 PM
realcanuk
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '13

Originally Posted by Dano523
Maybe,
But your a strip guy, while I'm a road course track guy, so two different worlds of just how long/high of motor temps, that we will run the fans full blast for isntead.
Not a strip guy any more. I drive it almost daily and the fans are running a lot. Pretty rare to hear of pwm having problems
Old 09-07-2018, 09:51 PM
Dano523
Race Director

Not a strip guy any more. I drive it almost daily and the fans are running a lot. Pretty rare to hear of pwm having problems
As I said, street use should not have a problem with the PWM burning up with the two Dewitts fans; short of say trying to hold the motor temp at 160* (fan table tweaks) with the fans maxed at full tilt every time the motor is running instead.
Old 09-07-2018, 09:55 PM
realcanuk
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '13

Originally Posted by Dano523
As I said, street use should not have a problem with the PWM burning up with the two Dewitts fans; short of say trying to hold the motor temp at 160* (fan table tweaks) with the fans maxed at full tilt every time the motor is running instead.
LOL. Not sure if you have a blown car but around town with A/C running my fans are running full tilt a lot. 160 is a fantasy..... how about trying to hold it under 220.
Old 09-07-2018, 10:22 PM
1VetteJocky
Racer

realcanuk - you are running dual spal fans on the OEM fan controller with that kind of horse power? Maybe it'd be OK to try. Going from memory (which is a bit dicey these days) I was thinking the fuse on the fan was 40A and the two DeWitts spal fans were a total of 50A. I'm too lazy to go and look. That, combined with my melting connectors going to the controller worry me a bit.
If I had a circuit diagram for the ECM and the PWM fan controller I could figure it out, but with that being unlikely I'm concerned with overloading the PWM signal from the ECM.
Anyway, would be if DeWitts would weigh in. I've sent them two emails and haven't heard anything back. All I got from them was a radiator/fan combo with a catalog for their new radiators thrown in ?!?
Old 09-07-2018, 10:25 PM
realcanuk
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '13

Running dual spals with a Dewitt's rad. Stock controller and I'm pretty sure the stock fuse is 60 amps. The connector should be addressed so you don't have trouble but everything else should be fine.
My car makes 1000rwhp and the fans work plenty.
Old 09-07-2018, 10:30 PM
1VetteJocky
Racer

LOL. Not sure if you have a blown car but around town with A/C running my fans are running full tilt a lot. 160 is a fantasy..... how about trying to hold it under 220.
Same here - I'm only running at 500RWHP with the A&A SC and you can hear the fans maxed out at any stop-light on a hot day with the AC on. Honestly, I think stop-and-go traffic uses the fans a lot more than any type of racing - though admittedly I've only done autocross and 1/4 mile. Even with my fan broken on a hot day (that wasn't a fun day) anything over about 35MPH would cool the engine down to about normal. But at a stoplight, the temp would quickly start getting dangerously high.
Old 09-07-2018, 11:40 PM
leadfart
Pro

Interesting stuff. I haven't got my new radiator and fan setup, yet. I'm not going to be installing it for a time. I just got a new fan assembly and module, under my GMEPP. When it runs out, I'm going to do bricks, snout and pulley. I thought I'd get a better radiator and fans, while they were on sale. I would like to know the best way to wire the fans up, when the time comes. I wish someone made a plug and play pigtail, for the Spal fans to the stock fan module, if that is indeed how I will be wiring it. Appreciate the information.
Old 09-08-2018, 12:02 AM
leadfart
Pro

Got my shop manuals out, and the cooling fan fuse is 60 amp.
1VetteJocky (09-10-2018)
Old 09-08-2018, 09:20 AM
Unreal
Team Owner

Received 2,313 Likes on 1,793 Posts

My first suggestion would be return the spal fans and just run the OEM, as it cools better.

As for road racing with them, factory ecu turns the fans off past ~40 or so (can't remember exact number) so as soon as you the track, unless it is a road course where you are constantly under 40, the fans are just there for a ride.
leadfart (09-08-2018)
Old 09-10-2018, 01:02 AM
1VetteJocky
Racer

Originally Posted by Unreal
My first suggestion would be return the spal fans and just run the OEM, as it cools better.

As for road racing with them, factory ecu turns the fans off past ~40 or so (can't remember exact number) so as soon as you the track, unless it is a road course where you are constantly under 40, the fans are just there for a ride.
Actually my stock fan worked fine for cooling, but I'm tired of scraping the nose on everything after the A&A supercharger kit install lowered it. Getting the shorty Dewitts will allow me to take out the spacers and get the nose back to factory height. My fan has been giving me problems for a bit so I figured why not do both at the same time.
Old 09-10-2018, 06:18 AM
realcanuk
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '13

Better to use a full size rad and modify the mounts to lower it. The short rad doesn't cool nearly as well.
Old 09-10-2018, 08:13 AM
Unreal
Team Owner

Better to use a full size rad and modify the mounts to lower it. The short rad doesn't cool nearly as well.
What Jody said. Cheaper, easier to just lower the mounts on the radiator cradle, than kill the cool capability, and spend a ton of money doing it. If you still want a dewitts, because they are nice radiators, run the full size one.

Get notified of new replies

To Attaching two Fan Control Modules in parallel

Old 09-10-2018, 11:29 AM
double06
Melting Slicks

Received 374 Likes on 299 Posts

On the fans - if you are running the two - 25 amp fans that Prospeed (or something like that) uses I think you are right to do the dual controller. If you are talking about the plastic shroud dual 11 inch fan set up those fans each draw about 16 amps (the kit everyone sells) and I think that is what people are thinking you may have and people have not had problems with. Big difference in 32 amps versus 50 amps. I think the factory fans draws like 35 amps or so depending if you have it turned on all the way.
Old 09-10-2018, 02:42 PM
Dano523
Race Director

Originally Posted by 1VetteJocky
I'm tired of scraping the nose on everything after the A&A supercharger kit install lowered it.
Super charger kit added weight to the front end the car. Change out the front trans spring to a stiffer spring for the added weight in the front end, then use the ride height adjusters to re-corner balance the car.

Old 09-10-2018, 02:56 PM
Unreal
Team Owner

And typically you can just adjust it back up with the bolts without even going to a different spring.

Quick Reply: Attaching two Fan Control Modules in parallel