C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

oil change, obsessive? OCD?, maybe normal?

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2018, 07:52 PM
acheman8
Racer

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by 360Rocket
So over two weeks of driving so I figured IF there was any crud left over from the previous oil change anywhere in the engine it would certainly show up on the stick after two weeks of driving. After looking at the wipe off after coming home from work, I am satisfied with my oil change process and will probably continue to stick to it.

I respect your persistent tenacity. Like I said, we appreciate your business...
Old 09-24-2018, 11:01 PM
360Rocket
Drifting

Received 30 Likes on 17 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14

Originally Posted by Larry Myers
About ten years ago, using Mobil 1 decided would run my GMC Envoy down to zero percentage on the oil life monitor. The monitor finally reached zero at about 12,500 miles. Sent an oil sample to Blackstone. Their analysis indicated all was well. Included in the report was a notation, suggest you extend your next oil change interval another 2,000 miles.

40 posts in this thread of which 35+ disagree with 360s oil change procedure. Seems to me he is off track. No matter the consensus, am confident there will be no change.
This conversation was never about a change or asking anyone to convince me to change, it was just that a conversation about oil change procedures and best practices plain and simple. I never expected a majority of car owners to agree or follow my oil change procedures I just wanted to see if anyone else had practices that may be beyond the usual "Jiffy Lube" oil change. No harm, no foul here.
Old 09-24-2018, 11:02 PM
360Rocket
Drifting

Originally Posted by acheman8
I respect your persistent tenacity. Like I said, we appreciate your business...
No problem, anything to energize our economy.
Old 09-25-2018, 05:28 AM
Boostedsvt
Racer

Received 67 Likes on 54 Posts

I like it. I’ve only been able to change the oil this way previously in my lawn mower and I do it every year, of course it’s only 1.5 qts per change of a cheap SAE 30 conventional oil and there’s no filter involved. I’ve tried it both ways, starting it up and letting it get hot for the second change and also just pouring extra oil in while I’m draining it which is what I usually do since it’s just easier.

I have done two oil changes in a row on some of my cars but I’ve always gotten the oil hot first. In fact, when I take my car in for a change I always want the guys to pull it in right away or go drive it first. It does help that I run an auto repair facility. Until very recently I’ve always changed my oil every 3k on every car I have because it’s what I’ve been trained to do. I had a job change about 6 months ago and it’s a 120 mile per day round trip. The miles on my Honda Accord are really adding up. I’ve decided to go 5k increments now and mainly because it’s easy, 45k, 50k, 55k, etc.., also I like it for the tire maintenance aspect. Rotate the tires every 5k, they will wear better and last longer. Now that’s on my daily driven Accord. I’ve not owned a Corvette yet but picking up my first this weekend. All of the Mustangs I’ve had in the past were weekend toys and I changed the oil at 2500 mile intervals which seems obsessive but most only got driven about that much each year. It also makes for easy oil change reminders, 2500, 5k, 7500, etc...

Maybe the OP is OCD but there’s nothing wrong with it. I like the fact that you want to do what’s best for your engine and you’re trying different things. I can’t possibly imagine that you’re doing any type of damage and I would also say that you’re not skipping any meals cause you can’t afford to do it this way. If it fits your budget and makes you happy then go for it!
The following users liked this post:
360Rocket (09-25-2018)
Old 09-26-2018, 02:45 AM
C5Natie
Safety Car

Received 132 Likes on 64 Posts

I dont think you understand how todays oils work and how good they are. I dont think science and facts will change your mind either. Anyway, its your money to burn. Cheers
Old 09-26-2018, 06:57 AM
360Rocket
Drifting

Originally Posted by C5Natie
I dont think you understand how todays oils work and how good they are. I dont think science and facts will change your mind either. Anyway, its your money to burn. Cheers
What I do understand here is there is an outside factor that is an uncontrollable at this point in oil science and technology and that is oil is yet to be "self cleaning". You can control viscosity but you can't control the amount of dirt, carbon and abrasives absorbed by the oil.
Old 09-26-2018, 08:01 AM
C5Natie
Safety Car

Received 132 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by 360Rocket
What I do understand here is there is an outside factor that is an uncontrollable at this point in oil science and technology and that is oil is yet to be "self cleaning". You can control viscosity but you can't control the amount of dirt, carbon and abrasives absorbed by the oil.
Viscosity breaks down and you cant control that. You can control the amount of particles in the oil to a point. Thats what filters are for. Todays quality oil filters are more than 95% efficient and will handle much longer intervals than those from the past. I suggest joining the Bobistheoilguy forum. Theres tons of good info there on everything oil related.
Old 09-26-2018, 01:26 PM
Orion2011
Burning Brakes

Received 169 Likes on 126 Posts

I change it when the "change oil" message comes on. I feel that is too often based on many years and many thousands of miles doing extended oil changes using Mobil 1 with other car's I've owned.
Old 10-22-2018, 07:05 PM
360Rocket
Drifting

In other news, came across this filter on one of my stops today that came out of a Toyota Camry with 147K miles on it. This could possibly be the original filter.

Quick Reply: oil change, obsessive? OCD?, maybe normal?