C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TPMS sensors

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2018, 02:05 PM
GS Corvette
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
Default TPMS sensors

So I've looked up past threads on this and get mixed reviews as to what to do.... I've got Weld beadlocks on the way and want to know who's running these and what you guys did about the TPMS sensors, there are some guys that installed the TPMS and some that didn't... the replies are all over the place. So I would love to hear only from guys that have a wide body 2010 ZO6 or Grand Sport that have these wheels on the car... any ones help with this and a straight answer would be greatly appreciated as I would like to save $ on TPMS sensors if I don't have to run them...
I also know about "White Auto Media" that can program them completely out.

Thank you in advance.
Old 09-21-2018, 02:28 PM
HOXXOH
Race Director

Received 2,060 Likes on 1,505 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

TPMS don't check to see what year or model car or which wheels are on it. The RCDLR requests info from the sensors and responds to the DIC etc with the info rec'd. The sensors don't even need to be in tires or wheels to respond. You don't "have" to use sensors to drive the car, but you'll "have" to deal with the DIC and other warning messages.
Old 09-21-2018, 02:48 PM
GS Corvette
Racer

Originally Posted by HOXXOH
TPMS don't check to see what year or model car or which wheels are on it. The RCDLR requests info from the sensors and responds to the DIC etc with the info rec'd. The sensors don't even need to be in tires or wheels to respond. You don't "have" to use sensors to drive the car, but you'll "have" to deal with the DIC and other warning messages.
Thank you, I already know this ^^^^
But different year cars are program differently, 2009 is not the same as 2010... and 2010 is not the same as 2013... hence I want to see what guys with a 2010 yr car have done.
Old 09-21-2018, 04:58 PM
HOXXOH
Race Director

Originally Posted by GS Corvette
Thank you, I already know this ^^^^
But different year cars are program differently, 2009 is not the same as 2010... and 2010 is not the same as 2013... hence I want to see what guys with a 2010 yr car have done.
No difference in years as far as the TPMS is concerned. The sensors themselves changed to a slightly different style, but the system and programming remained the same. Except for the export cars with the 433 Mhz system, all the rest use 315 Mhz.

If you believe that only 2010 Z06 and GS cars using Weld beadlock wheels are different from anything else, then don't expect a straight answer you can trust.
Old 09-21-2018, 05:22 PM
GS Corvette
Racer

Originally Posted by HOXXOH
No difference in years as far as the TPMS is concerned. The sensors themselves changed to a slightly different style, but the system and programming remained the same. Except for the export cars with the 433 Mhz system, all the rest use 315 Mhz.

If you believe that only 2010 Z06 and GS cars using Weld beadlock wheels are different from anything else, then don't expect a straight answer you can trust.
The reason I asked someone to chime in with my year car is because all the threads I have read are from guys with older cars and they really didn't give a straight answer... I know my fronts will be just fine but in the rear if I install TPMS sensors and run 28psi or lower they will limit me from using competition mode and since I daily drive my car I can't have that... so there's got to be a solution since I'm not the 1st to run these wheels. Some guys say they don't run them at all but can't use competition mode, some guys say they leave their stock wheels next to the car so on start up the car sees the sensors and then they drive off but after 100 miles or so they get the warning... I rather not deal with all this if there is a better way of doing this. I could pay $175 and have them completely programmed out... but if there's a way to not spend $ if I don't have to then I'd like to hear what that is. Thanks for the replies, much appreciated.
Old 09-22-2018, 12:29 AM
HOXXOH
Race Director

Originally Posted by GS Corvette
The reason I asked someone to chime in with my year car is because all the threads I have read are from guys with older cars and they really didn't give a straight answer... I know my fronts will be just fine but in the rear if I install TPMS sensors and run 28psi or lower they will limit me from using competition mode and since I daily drive my car I can't have that... so there's got to be a solution since I'm not the 1st to run these wheels. Some guys say they don't run them at all but can't use competition mode, some guys say they leave their stock wheels next to the car so on start up the car sees the sensors and then they drive off but after 100 miles or so they get the warning... I rather not deal with all this if there is a better way of doing this. I could pay $175 and have them completely programmed out... but if there's a way to not spend $ if I don't have to then I'd like to hear what that is. Thanks for the replies, much appreciated.
So what you want to do is run low pressure in your rear tires without sensors so you can be in competition mode for your daily driving and these specific wheels only on a 2010 wide body prevent you from doing that.
I hope you understand that competition mode is designed for the track, not for a DD.
BTW, a low psi warning initiates at 24 psi front or rear. Drop pressure to 23 in any tire to verify. Then clear and see how many miles you go before you get a repeat warning. I'm betting 10 miles. It's only a warning and will not put you in limp mode.
You need to buy a 2010 service manual to learn how your car operates. You're getting lots of weird info from other people.

Get notified of new replies

To TPMS sensors

Quick Reply: TPMS sensors