C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

strange sound testing fuses?.......

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2018, 08:28 AM
C5 Diag
Moderator, Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,124 Likes on 1,689 Posts

Did the car start with the propane ??
Old 09-23-2018, 08:30 AM
mazzerman
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

no....not even an attempt, just cranking.
Old 09-23-2018, 09:34 AM
C5 Diag

Support Corvetteforum!

Ok, first think is to make sure the VATS system is ok...should have done this first....does your security light go out when key installed ??... if it does we will move on. Check for tach movement. If no tach movement most likely bad crank sensor. You can confirm with scope tapping into the signal wire at PCM (easiest location).

p.s with all that chattering you heard at the fuse box don’t use the power probe...just a 12 volt test light if you have one...you can check the injector fuses and the others !!
Old 09-23-2018, 09:39 AM
saplumr
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,251 Likes on 895 Posts

Is there any chance this car ever had a blower installed on it?
Old 09-23-2018, 09:41 AM
mazzerman
Instructor

yeah pretty sure it went out but will double check when i put the battery back in. and check for tach movement as well.
went underneath just now to check the crank sensor connector next to starter just to make sure it was secure.
I can check crank and cam RPM at the same time on the T2.
just printed out all the service manual connector end views for all the ign coils, crank and cam as well so at least i know which wires are ground, low ref, IC control and IGN voltage.
I just checked my test light and its toast so i.ll pop out in the morning to get a new one, (i need one really as it's the easiest and quickest way to check for voltage.
Old 09-23-2018, 09:44 AM
mazzerman
Instructor

Originally Posted by saplumr
Is there any chance this car ever had a blower installed on it?
No never.... it's always been stock, the only mod is the hotwire kit, but while i'm testing i've reverted back to the normal fuel pump wiring (OEM)
until i sort the problem.
Old 09-23-2018, 09:56 AM
saplumr
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,251 Likes on 895 Posts

Originally Posted by mazzerman
No never.... it's always been stock, the only mod is the hotwire kit, but while i'm testing i've reverted back to the normal fuel pump wiring (OEM)
until i sort the problem.
Has the fuel pump relay had any dark marks on top? I had this happen to me when my original blower installer wired my bap to the stock fuel system and eventually burned out the fuel pump relay section on the fuse block which had to be replaced. Was a very intermittent condition until I eventually found it.
Old 09-23-2018, 10:01 AM
mazzerman
Instructor

Originally Posted by saplumr

Has the fuel pump relay had any dark marks on top? I had this happen to me when my original blower installer wired my bap to the stock fuel system and eventually burned out the fuel pump relay section on the fuse block which had to be replaced. Was a very intermittent condition until I eventually found it.
Yes it had the dark burn marks on the side, it has been replaced now, the forum opinion on this is that the connectors underneath the fuses/relays become loose and make intermittent connection, i have had it apart and pushed all the connections back up and used hot glue to hold them in place, because when you push the block connectors back on and tighten up the bolts between the fuses/relays, it can push the connectors back down again, so hopefully my little DIY effort kept them in place.
Old 09-23-2018, 10:21 AM
C5 Diag

Support Corvetteforum!

yeah pretty sure it went out but will double check when i put the battery back in. and check for tach movement as well.
went underneath just now to check the crank sensor connector next to starter just to make sure it was secure.
I can check crank and cam RPM at the same time on the T2.
just printed out all the service manual connector end views for all the ign coils, crank and cam as well so at least i know which wires are ground, low ref, IC control and IGN voltage.
I just checked my test light and its toast so i.ll pop out in the morning to get a new one, (i need one really as it's the easiest and quickest way to check for voltage.
My crank signal wire was a blue/white wire at PCM...pic of cam/crank enclosed !!...bottom waveform is crank...0-12 volt !!...I didn’t back probe wire because I have wire piercing probe...covered up small hole with liquid electrical tape when finished...you can you a 10 second time base and 0-20 volt setting !!...if it’s just electrical issue check ign fuses first then power at the coils !!!...let’s make sure VATS is letting you try to start the car !!

Last edited by C5 Diag; 09-23-2018 at 10:24 AM.
Old 09-23-2018, 11:18 AM
mazzerman
Instructor

OK, put battery back on, security light goes out after a few seconds.
turn motor over but NO tach movement on the dash. so i guess its cam or crank sensor???
Old 09-23-2018, 11:47 AM
C5 Diag

Support Corvetteforum!

OK, put battery back on, security light goes out after a few seconds.
turn motor over but NO tach movement on the dash. so i guess its cam or crank sensor???
its crank sensor !!...you can verify by checking crank signal with scope like I mentioned..I would do it just to make sure..,you can check for injector pulse at injector. If you have a t-pin back probe the injector control wire and connect 12 volt test light to battery positive and touch end of tester to t pin..,crank engine.. test light should flicker if getting signal from PCM. Mine was hard to see when I had done it but it does flicker.,,if no we definitely don’t have injection or ignition !!...bad crank sensor !!

Last edited by C5 Diag; 09-23-2018 at 12:52 PM.
Old 09-23-2018, 02:07 PM
mazzerman
Instructor

ok so far, i had to drop the cat to be able to get to the CRK sensor, nearly had to take the starter off as well, its really difficult to get your hand behind the starter and solenoid but eventually got the connector off so could start back probing, my battery has had a bit of a bashing again being in KOEO for so long so it was reading 12.5v when i started to back probe, 12v reference wire was reading 11.7 which i believe is low, i think it should be no more than 0.5v difference to the system voltage.
I ran out of daylight so will have to continue tomorrow.
I'm not sure whats next but i think i'v got to test for a short to ground on the 12v reference circuit?
Old 09-23-2018, 05:14 PM
C5 Diag

Support Corvetteforum!

ok so far, i had to drop the cat to be able to get to the CRK sensor, nearly had to take the starter off as well, its really difficult to get your hand behind the starter and solenoid but eventually got the connector off so could start back probing, my battery has had a bit of a bashing again being in KOEO for so long so it was reading 12.5v when i started to back probe, 12v reference wire was reading 11.7 which i believe is low, i think it should be no more than 0.5v difference to the system voltage.
I ran out of daylight so will have to continue tomorrow.
I'm not sure whats next but i think i'v got to test for a short to ground on the 12v reference circuit?
NOOOOO !!...you didn't have to back probe the crank signal wire at the sensor itself...too hard with the starter in the way !!...like I had said in my post you can back probe the signal wire at the PCM instead (see pic)...right front tire removed and remove the plastic access panel....back of the wheel well. I think it's better we check for injector pulse...I included a video by "The Master" and you can see we check for feed power (pink wire on mine...the feed wires are all the same color on all injectors).Turn key on and with 12 volt test light connected to ground or battery negative test light should illuminate...if not check injector fuses... one for each bank...if 12 volt feed good now connect the 12 volt test light to battery POSITIVE... if you can back probe connector (pushing t-pin in back of connector...(pic enclosed) you won't risk spreading the pin if you front probe... if you do front probe just DON'T shove the end of test light into the pin !!….now crank the engine with test light to other wire (usually different colored striped wires)...test light should flash...it might be difficult to see in bright sun...watch the video !!...I think we should do this before messing around with the crank sensor....and if no injector pulse we can look to bad crank sensor but we HAVE to check wiring integrity first. Oh, 11.7 is most likely OK...your system voltage might be a little low with KOEO for a while...the .5 volt difference you were thinking of is the "voltage drop" voltage on a "loaded" circuit...a running fuel pump for instance... you would check with a voltmeter the difference between positive battery voltage of the battery and the power wire at the fuel pump !!...difference should not exceed .5 volts. Same for the ground side !! ...I also included a video of circuit test of 3 wire Hall Effect crank sensor...don't remember if my signal wire was a pull up or down...the signal on mine was dark blue and white wire !!

Old 09-23-2018, 05:20 PM
mazzerman
Instructor

cool, i will try that tomorrow, its the spark at the plugs that is bothering me.
i somehow need to check the crank wiring for short or open, before i pull the trigger on a new crank sensor.
Old 09-23-2018, 05:45 PM
C5 Diag

Support Corvetteforum!

cool, i will try that tomorrow, its the spark at the plugs that is bothering me.
i somehow need to check the crank wiring for short or open, before i pull the trigger on a new crank sensor.
Let's look for injector power and control first then concentrate on crank sensor and it's wiring...I included another great 2 part video on crank sensor operation and testing....my crank wiring is dark blue/white- signal input, yellow/black- low reference (ground), and light green- 12 volt reference (feed),
If we have no injector pulse then definitely look at the crank sensor !!….and if you have to change it....DO NOT INSTALL AN AFTERMARKET ONE...i.e. Dorman etc...OEM only !!...also, let's address that priming fuel pressure too !!

Last edited by C5 Diag; 09-23-2018 at 05:48 PM.
Old 09-23-2018, 05:49 PM
mazzerman
Instructor

videos are great and very informative, will definitely start with the injectors and at least eliminate them from diagnosis,
Old 09-23-2018, 05:54 PM
C5 Diag

Support Corvetteforum!

videos are great and very informative, will definitely start with the injectors and at least eliminate them from diagnosis,
DEFINEITELY !!!....did you ever check that buzzing with that test light or a DVOM instead of the Power Probe ??...wondering what that was about and if that's still an issue ???

Get notified of new replies

To strange sound testing fuses?.......

Old 09-23-2018, 05:58 PM
mazzerman
Instructor

Originally Posted by rwobs777
DEFINEITELY !!!....did you ever check that buzzing with that test light or a DVOM instead of the Power Probe ??...wondering what that was about and if that's still an issue ???
i got hold of a test light and got no light on those fuses with key off, which was buzzing with probe. so not sure what that was about......
Old 09-23-2018, 06:05 PM
C5 Diag

Support Corvetteforum!

i got hold of a test light and got no light on those fuses with key off, which was buzzing with probe. so not sure what that was about......
Great !!...Time for a new Power Probe....LOL !!!...get the 4 !!...AWESOME tool !!

Old 09-23-2018, 06:11 PM
mazzerman
Instructor

Originally Posted by rwobs777
Great !!...Time for a new Power Probe....LOL !!!...get the 4 !!...AWESOME tool !!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=krAUIq3bWIg
thats really cool kit.....i would buy it just for that fuel injector feature, that looks so easy to use compared with setting up the scope.

Quick Reply: strange sound testing fuses?.......