C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

strange sound testing fuses?.......

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2018, 08:03 PM
C5 Diag
Moderator, Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,122 Likes on 1,687 Posts

Originally Posted by mazzerman
volts or ohms?

OHMS if you want to check that injector wire from the injector end to the PCM end !!

Last edited by C5 Diag; 09-24-2018 at 08:04 PM.
Old 09-25-2018, 10:11 AM
mazzerman
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm all set for some testing as soon as Amazon deliver my piercing probes....

ECU and crank/cam sensor pinouts
Old 09-25-2018, 10:24 AM
C5 Diag

Support Corvetteforum!

I'm all set for some testing as soon as Amazon deliver my piercing probes....

ECU and crank/cam sensor pinouts
Great !!...let us know what the outcome is ??....hope you bought a few piercing probes ??...they REALLY come in handy...some of these GM Weatherpack connectors are sometimes impossible to back probe !!....a 10 second time base is fine since you'll be cranking the car for about 5 seconds or so...20 volts on the voltage scale. You really only need the crank signal for starting issues but if you want to do the cam that's fine...I thinks it was a brown/white wire if I can remember ??... save the waveform for future reference though !!....with the good injector pulse I'm starting to think the crank sensor will be good....and recheck that fuel pressure again !!

Last edited by C5 Diag; 09-25-2018 at 10:25 AM.
Old 09-25-2018, 10:36 AM
mazzerman
Instructor

Yes, i ordered a set of them.
I really want to check the 12v reference signal the low ref and the signal from the ECU so i know that there is no issue with the ECU and i can then look towards the wiring from the ECU to the connector, but because its tucked behind the starter its a PITA so start at the ECU and work down that way.
This guy is great but sarcasm is his best fault....LOL
Old 09-25-2018, 10:39 AM
mazzerman
Instructor

on a side note i see your from Monmouth county......home of Jon Bon Jovi, down on the river side at Red Bank.
Also Springsteen somewhere round those parts. it must be really cool living in New Jersey?
Old 09-25-2018, 10:57 AM
C5 Diag

Support Corvetteforum!

Yes, i ordered a set of them.
I really want to check the 12v reference signal the low ref and the signal from the ECU so i know that there is no issue with the ECU and i can then look towards the wiring from the ECU to the connector, but because its tucked behind the starter its a PITA so start at the ECU and work down that way.
This guy is great but sarcasm is his best fault....LOL
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AI4LOB7jj3I
Yes !!...Matt is VERY sharp and VERY sarcastic sometimes...a microbiologist by trade...HUH ???...he has some great instructional videos and I remember in his "understanding fuel trims" instructional video he said..."if you change the O2 sensors for this problem....YOU'RE AN IDIOT"...THAT WAS CLASSIC !!...subscribe to his channel and also Scanner Danner...you'll learn a LOT !!
Old 09-25-2018, 11:15 AM
C5 Diag

Support Corvetteforum!

on a side note i see your from Monmouth county......home of Jon Bon Jovi, down on the river side at Red Bank.
Also Springsteen somewhere round those parts. it must be really cool living in New Jersey?
Other than the nice beach NJ SUCKS !!...liberal Governor in office now, high property taxes (and will go up)...I'm moving to Fort Myers, Florida area in a few years anyway when I retire...can't wait...hey, any members reading this thread let me know about the best areas of Fort Myers if you live there...and if you need help with your Corvette let me know...glad to help...I'll have a lot of free time...LOL !!!!..Bon Jovi grew up in Sayrerville... not to far from where I live now but has a beautiful mansion on the Navesink River in Rumson...Bruce grew up in Freehold and had a house in Rumson but living in Colts Neck now...saw him and his kids a few years ago at the drag races around here...nobody from around here bothers him...saw him play unannounced at the Stone Pony in Asbury Park a few times...just comes in the back door and jumps up on stage... legend around here !!
Old 09-25-2018, 11:21 AM
mazzerman
Instructor

yeah its a shame, the good old days of the Stone Pony, iv seen some videos of back stage when Bruce turned up the Asbury dukes Little Steven etc, a few great bands started out there an d Atlantic city etc, yeah iv seen the mansion, great place to be back in the day....anyway back to cars......
Old 09-26-2018, 03:57 PM
C5 Diag

Support Corvetteforum!

yeah its a shame, the good old days of the Stone Pony, iv seen some videos of back stage when Bruce turned up the Asbury dukes Little Steven etc, a few great bands started out there an d Atlantic city etc, yeah iv seen the mansion, great place to be back in the day....anyway back to cars......
Any luck yet ??????????????????
Old 09-26-2018, 04:23 PM
mazzerman
Instructor

not as yet, my probes didnt arrive til 8pm last night then today i had a bit of a crisis so didnt get chance.
i'm going to re-test the coil wiring tomorrow then test for spark and then i'll drop down to the ecu.
Old 09-27-2018, 09:49 AM
mazzerman
Instructor

OK, a few more tests with test light and DVOM today.
I started by probing the ignition 1 voltage circuit at each coil with test lamp grounded to battery negative, test lamp lit on all coils.
2nd i probed the ignition 1 voltage circuit at each coil with test lamp connected to the ground circuit of the coil, no illumination.
3rd, I disconnected the main ignition coil 8 way connector and probed the ignition 1 voltage circuit with test lamp grounded on battery negative and lamp did not illuminate, i then tested same circuit with DVOM on 200 OHMS and got a reading of 83 OHMS.
Service manual says "repair the open or high resistance in the ignition 1 voltage circuit between the fuse block and the splice"

Any thoughts or further tests i can run for double check?
And if that the issue is there a temporary way to test the theory?
Cheers
Old 09-27-2018, 11:44 AM
C5 Diag

Support Corvetteforum!

OK, a few more tests with test light and DVOM today.
I started by probing the ignition 1 voltage circuit at each coil with test lamp grounded to battery negative, test lamp lit on all coils.
2nd i probed the ignition 1 voltage circuit at each coil with test lamp connected to the ground circuit of the coil, no illumination.
3rd, I disconnected the main ignition coil 8 way connector and probed the ignition 1 voltage circuit with test lamp grounded on battery negative and lamp did not illuminate, i then tested same circuit with DVOM on 200 OHMS and got a reading of 83 OHMS.
Service manual says "repair the open or high resistance in the ignition 1 voltage circuit between the fuse block and the splice"

Any thoughts or further tests i can run for double check?
And if that the issue is there a temporary way to test the theory?
Cheers
1) checking voltage at ign. circuit with test light connected to battery positive- great...good test...we know we are getting power down to the coil !!
2) you checked ign. voltage connected to coil ground circuit..no voltage...MMM ??...ok, we have to make sure the ground is OK...check with test light connected to battery POSITIVE...if ground is good the light will light !!
3) If you check ground from the harness side with the test light connected to battery positive does the light illuminate ??
4) the wiring diagram shows a splice between the coil and the 8 way connector (C109/110) and the ground at the back on the cylinder head (not a lot of room to check there)...you have to find that connector...did you check the cylinder head ground (C107) ??...if that ground is bad none of the grounds at each coil will
will be good !!

Last edited by C5 Diag; 09-27-2018 at 01:00 PM.
The following users liked this post:
mazzerman (09-27-2018)
Old 09-27-2018, 11:58 AM
mazzerman
Instructor

Originally Posted by rwobs777
1) checking voltage at ign. circuit with test light connected to battery positive- great...good test...we know we are getting power down to the coil !!
2) you checked ign. voltage connected to coil ground circuit..no voltage...MMM ??...ok, we have to make sure the ground is OK...check with test light connected to battery POSITIVE...if ground is good the light will light !!
3) If you check ground from the harness side with the test light connected to battery positive does the light illuminate ??
4) the wiring diagram shows an inline harness connector between the 8 way connector and the ground at the back on the cylinder head (not a lot of room to check there)...you have to find that connector...did you check the cylinder head ground (C107) ??...if that ground is bad none of the grounds at each coil will
will be good !!
Excellent , i will try those pointers tomorrow.....off to work in a bit (time difference) but got all day tomorrow to test, i'll start with the ground C107 test 1st
Old 09-27-2018, 12:03 PM
C5 Diag

Support Corvetteforum!

Excellent , i will try those pointers tomorrow.....off to work in a bit (time difference) but got all day tomorrow to test, i'll start with the ground C107 test 1st
SUPER !!....I'll look at my harness when I get home to see what I can find !!...I'll send you a PM !!
The following users liked this post:
mazzerman (09-27-2018)
Old 09-28-2018, 08:09 AM
mazzerman
Instructor

Damn this is really frustrating, i am trying to locate engine ground G107 at drivers side rear of motor, and i cant find it anywhere.
I have used telescopic mirror and borescope but just cant locate it.
Does anyone have an accurate description of where it is or a photo or some guidance?
Is it on the block or the firewall, service manual doesn't help.
Old 09-28-2018, 08:18 AM
C5 Diag

Support Corvetteforum!

On my C5 it is on the back of the L/H

cylinder head...took this pic yesterday for you !!
Old 09-28-2018, 08:43 AM
mazzerman
Instructor

Thanks very much for that.
I cant get my bearings on that.......what is the light coloured metal part ( i thought it was the exhaust header but it cant be as thats on the side not the back and again i thought that other part was the steering column link but again that would be the side not the back. Confused!!!!

Get notified of new replies

To strange sound testing fuses?.......

Old 09-28-2018, 08:47 AM
C5 Diag

Support Corvetteforum!

Thanks very much for that.
I cant get my bearings on that.......what is the light coloured metal part ( i thought it was the exhaust header but it cant be as thats on the side not the back and again i thought that other part was the steering column link but again that would be the side not the back. Confused!!!!

My exhaust is OEM...that is the back of valve cover !!
Old 09-28-2018, 08:52 AM
mazzerman
Instructor

OK so G107 is close to the the valve cover on the back of motor, drivers side opposite firewall?
Old 09-28-2018, 09:18 AM
C5 Diag

Support Corvetteforum!

OK so G107 is close to the the valve cover on the back of motor, drivers side opposite firewall?
pic with engine removed !!

Quick Reply: strange sound testing fuses?.......