C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

BTR Cam choice for an LS2

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2018, 11:30 PM
C6 Monterey
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Default BTR Cam choice for an LS2

Hello.

I have a new to me C6 base model LS2 with a 6 speed manual trans. I have added a complete Z06 exhaust system from exhaust manifolds through to the Dual Mode Muffler System.

I MIGHT add a Fast 102 intake (if I can get a good deal on a used one). If not....oh well.

I do want to add a camshaft though. My concerns are this:

I do not want to screw up my odds of selling the Vette should I decide to by going too crazy on a camshaft.

While I will only be using the car around town and possibly occasionally on the highway I want it to have good "street manors" as they say.

I want the definitive sound of a beefed up car, but I do not want it to sound obnoxious or like a "kids car" (I am 54). I do miss the sound of the old muscle cars that I used to own back in the day.

Your choices, from those who are experienced in this field: BTR Stage 2 or Stage 3?

I have googled and listened to various sound clips on YouTube....so hard to tell. I do NOT want to do this twice.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by C6 Monterey; 11-13-2018 at 10:52 AM. Reason: Forgot trans info
Old 11-12-2018, 12:04 AM
MYCoupe
Melting Slicks

Received 67 Likes on 59 Posts

Based on all that you're saying I would go with the Stage 2 cam...
Old 11-12-2018, 03:03 PM
MTPZ06
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,592 Likes on 1,335 Posts

Originally Posted by MYCoupe
Based on all that you're saying I would go with the Stage 2 cam...
Old 11-12-2018, 06:55 PM
C6 Monterey
Instructor

Originally Posted by MTPZ06
Thanks guys. Any other feedback for me?
Old 11-12-2018, 07:01 PM
jaybee924
Burning Brakes

Received 90 Likes on 84 Posts

Are you an auto or 6-speed manual???

More than likely a stage 2 either way but if your an auto stage 2 for sure because a stage 3 would require a stall converter if auto tranny.

An have a good/great tuner to get the driveability on point.
Old 11-12-2018, 10:15 PM
C6 Monterey
Instructor

Originally Posted by jaybee924
Are you an auto or 6-speed manual???

More than likely a stage 2 either way but if your an auto stage 2 for sure because a stage 3 would require a stall converter if auto tranny.

An have a good/great tuner to get the driveability on point.
Shoot....sorry....real important information that I left out!! Yes, a 6 speed manual.

Thanks
Old 11-12-2018, 10:37 PM
jaybee924
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by C6 Monterey
Shoot....sorry....real important information that I left out!! Yes, a 6 speed manual.

Thanks

I have a BTR Stage 3 in my LS3. Runs good and makes very good power. If you have a good tuner and they work on the driveability. I would go with the stage 3 being you are a 6-speed manual. I have good driveability with my BTR stage 3 cam. If I wanted to I could daily drive it, it would not be a problem.
Old 11-12-2018, 11:32 PM
C6 Monterey
Instructor

I have a BTR Stage 3 in my LS3. Runs good and makes very good power. If you have a good tuner and they work on the driveability. I would go with the stage 3 being you are a 6-speed manual. I have good driveability with my BTR stage 3 cam. If I wanted to I could daily drive it, it would not be a problem.
I was really hoping to hear from people who had BTR stage 2 and 3 cams like yourself. Have you by chance heard a similar car with the stage 2 cam? Would you consider yours "obnoxious" in any way, shape or form? LOL....I don't mean that insulting at all. Clearly I am considering it myself!

I am concerned about resalability though. I do have access to a good tuner.

Thanks!
Old 11-13-2018, 07:10 AM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

Cant worry about an unknown buyer, put what you want in it now.
Bigger the cam the deeper the gear you should use, too.
Modded cars sell just as well as stock ones just dont overpersonalize it.
Old 11-13-2018, 09:37 AM
BigVette427
Drifting

Received 405 Likes on 253 Posts

Hello.

I have a new to me C6 base model LS2 with a 6 speed. I have added a complete Z06 exhaust system from exhaust manifolds through to the Dual Mode Muffler System.

I MIGHT add a Fast 102 intake (if I can get a good deal on a used one). If not....oh well.

I do not want t screw up my odds of selling the Vette should I decide to by going too crazy on a camshaft.

While I will only be using the car around town and possibly occasionally on the highway I want it to have good "street manors" as they say.

I want the definitive sound of a beefed up car, but I do not want it to sound obnoxious or like a "kids car" (I am 54). I do miss the sound of the old muscle cars that I used to own back in the day.

Your choices, from those who are experienced in this field: BTR Stage 2 or Stage 3?

I have googled and listened to various sound clips on YouTube....so hard to tell. I do NOT want to do this twice.

Thanks in advance!
If potential resale is an issue or concern, make your goal to be able to pop the hood and for the average layman, not be able to tell you ever had any work done. Maybe an Airaid air intake, but that's it. No LT's or goofy aftermarket intake manifold, (get the stock ported.) Focus on new and or ported heads with PSI or PAC springs, and have Pat Guerrea or CamMotion custom spec you a cam specifically tailored for your particular application. And replace the balancer while you have it off, PowerBond Race Series is the best for the money.
Old 11-13-2018, 11:03 AM
C6 Monterey
Instructor

Originally Posted by BigVette427
If potential resale is an issue or concern, make your goal to be able to pop the hood and for the average layman, not be able to tell you ever had any work done. Maybe an Airaid air intake, but that's it. No LT's or goofy aftermarket intake manifold, (get the stock ported.) Focus on new and or ported heads with PSI or PAC springs, and have Pat Guerrea or CamMotion custom spec you a cam specifically tailored for your particular application. And replace the balancer while you have it off, PowerBond Race Series is the best for the money.
I spoke to my guy about a Pat G custom cam. (In fact I also spoke to Pat G.). My guy said “why complicate things, when BTR is proven”?

I like the concept of a custom grind for your application.

I might just really keep it simple and not do anything with intake or heads. My exhaust and cam only.

Why the new balancer you speak of?

Thanks.
Old 11-13-2018, 11:05 AM
C6 Monterey
Instructor

Originally Posted by cuisinartvette
Cant worry about an unknown buyer, put what you want in it now.
Bigger the cam the deeper the gear you should use, too.
Modded cars sell just as well as stock ones just dont overpersonalize it.
By deeper gear you mean rear end gearing? That’s not going to happen....so that may further lean to a stage 2.
Old 11-13-2018, 11:29 AM
BigVette427
Drifting

Received 405 Likes on 253 Posts

I spoke to my guy about a Pat G custom cam. (In fact I also spoke to Pat G.). My guy said “why complicate things, when BTR is proven”?

I like the concept of a custom grind for your application.

I might just really keep it simple and not do anything with intake or heads. My exhaust and cam only.

Why the new balancer you speak of?

Thanks.
It's not overly complicated if the one doing your tune knows what they are doing. Ask your guy if they are going to do a full hybrid tune or just a SD only. PatG will spec you a cam and he usually uses TSP or CamMotion for the cams. And PatG can work with you remotely on your tune, as well. You won't find a better tuner. To take full advantage of a cam, you should increase the flows of your heads; lots of room for improvement on LS2 heads. New cam I would also suggest new lifters; Morel 6504's over GM LS7 and Johson 2110's SLR's if you can afford the extra price.

http://www.cammotion.com/camshafts/m...-ls2-cams-6-0/

LS1/2 Stage II Cam 227/234 .614"/.576" 113+2
https://www.briantooleyracing.com/ls...ge-ii-cam.html

Make sure you install the Morel lifters in the correct orientation.
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...ientation.html

The stock GM balancers, in particular, the LS balancers on so many C5 and C6's, were junk. If you were going to take it off for the cam, it would be a shame to put even a new GM balancer back on. Do a search on GM balancers failing and how all the more so in particular on a Corvette, why it's more difficult to swap versus a GM truck, for example.

Last edited by BigVette427; 11-13-2018 at 11:41 AM.
Old 11-13-2018, 05:02 PM
jaybee924
Burning Brakes

I was really hoping to hear from people who had BTR stage 2 and 3 cams like yourself. Have you by chance heard a similar car with the stage 2 cam? Would you consider yours "obnoxious" in any way, shape or form? LOL....I don't mean that insulting at all. Clearly I am considering it myself!

I am concerned about resalability though. I do have access to a good tuner.

Thanks!
My first setup i had a 230/234 cam 4 degrees of overlap. I was concerned about drivability which I was also for the BTR Stage 3 10.5 degrees of overlap. The reason I switched cams was to go back and take care of the wobbly GM balancer. I tried on the first build but had a wet sump balancer instead of the dry sump balance (I have a GS manual 6) and that tuner went ahead and put it back together. For a BTR stage 2 or 3 you shouldn't have to mess with gearing. My opinion is your tuner is your friend tell him what you want and what he think will fit your needs and you make the finally call. An no my car does not sound obnoxious to me, hey you have the dual exhaust mufflers. He He I'm going to send you a link to my budget build that went wild in all of 3 seconds. LoL
Old 11-13-2018, 05:04 PM
jaybee924
Burning Brakes

By deeper gear you mean rear end gearing? That’s not going to happen....so that may further lean to a stage 2.
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...preciated.html
Old 11-13-2018, 09:55 PM
C6 Monterey
Instructor

My first setup i had a 230/234 cam 4 degrees of overlap. I was concerned about drivability which I was also for the BTR Stage 3 10.5 degrees of overlap. The reason I switched cams was to go back and take care of the wobbly GM balancer. I tried on the first build but had a wet sump balancer instead of the dry sump balance (I have a GS manual 6) and that tuner went ahead and put it back together. For a BTR stage 2 or 3 you shouldn't have to mess with gearing. My opinion is your tuner is your friend tell him what you want and what he think will fit your needs and you make the finally call. An no my car does not sound obnoxious to me, hey you have the dual exhaust mufflers. He He I'm going to send you a link to my budget build that went wild in all of 3 seconds. LoL
Thanks everyone for the info.

Jaybee I read through the thread of yours that you linked. Thanks. You have done your homework! I had to laugh about your "budget build" though. I AM ON A BUDGET BUILD. As said, the plan (if I can stick to it) is the Z06 full exhaust and the cam / tune. I know that heads and intake can make quite a difference, but I just really want to keep costs down (unlike my crazy Magnacharged truck that I sold and took a bath on).

Our goals (at least initially) were the same.

I would much rather get as large of an increase as I can in lower RPM for more fun city driving, rather then super high RPM.

So you final call (based on your experience and my limitations), BTR stage two or three.....or? (And yes....apparently a balancer is the worth it.)

Thanks

Last edited by C6 Monterey; 11-13-2018 at 09:58 PM.
Old 11-13-2018, 10:03 PM
C6 Monterey
Instructor

Originally Posted by BigVette427
I like your advice. Thanks.

Last edited by C6 Monterey; 11-13-2018 at 10:05 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To BTR Cam choice for an LS2

Old 11-13-2018, 10:09 PM
C6 Monterey
Instructor

BigVette427, the tuner had not heard the term "Hybrid" tune. He asked if by SD I meant "Speed Density"? If so...he does not do SD. He said the factory PCM is tuned / flashed using HP Tuners. The MAF is used, just not the MAP.
Old 11-14-2018, 02:34 AM
numbadoh
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I did my build over the winter last year and was in the same boat as you. 2006 6 speed base and was unsure if I'd keep the car or sell it and move on. I was stuck between the BTR stage 2 and stage 3 but ultimately I ended up with the comp cam xer273hr. Couldn't be happier. I got the whole cam package from BTR. I've done my tuning via datalogging using the intune i2 with Diablew. It's much louder than yours will be as it's long tubes with Billy boat bullets and will never attract a purist if I sell it but I love it. I vote for going big and not restricting yourself on what a potential buyer may or may not want if you ever decide to part with it.
Old 11-14-2018, 10:06 AM
Prewoz
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Hello.

I have a new to me C6 base model LS2 with a 6 speed manual trans. I have added a complete Z06 exhaust system from exhaust manifolds through to the Dual Mode Muffler System.

I do not want to screw up my odds of selling the Vette should I decide to by going too crazy on a camshaft.

Thanks in advance!
Cant give you any personal experience but I’ve done a lot of research as my next project is a cam. After going through everything I’m personally going with the btr Stage 2. Also going to upgrade all the valve springs, pushrods, and trunions. Also replacing the harmonic balancer, belts, and debating on slapping a new water pump as long as I’m in there. I’m also going to swap the intake for a fast 102.

I already have headers, cai, and exhaust. 2006 Base model.

Reason on I chimed in is my goals are similar to yours and I think the Stage 2 is where I want to be. To be honest just having the CAI, Kook header, x-pipe, Corsa extremes, the sound is already pretty amazing. I get a lot of compliments on the sound, so realistically I don’t think I need a cam just for the sound (if that’s one of your goals).

Quick Reply: BTR Cam choice for an LS2