C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Replace Rear Wheel Bearings

Old 03-14-2019, 05:42 PM
stoessjc
Burning Brakes

Received 45 Likes on 33 Posts

Default Replace Rear Wheel Bearings

Need to replace the rear wheel bearings on a 2017 C6 coupe. I watched a youtube video on this and the person doing the work used red loctite on the bolts attaching the bearing hub to the spindle. He also said there was a TSB that said to use red permatex gasket sealer when installing the axle nut and to let it cure for 24 hours. My 2008 shop manual does not direct the installer to do either the loctite or the permatex. Can anyone confirm that either of these are required?
Old 03-14-2019, 07:57 PM
schpenxel
Race Director

Received 1,193 Likes on 1,052 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

The gasket sealer on the axle nut is to help prevent it from coming ever so slightly loose. If you get a popping noise at some point, that's probably what it is. For mine I had to re-tighten them I believe twice before they finally stayed put and the noise never returned. Doesn't hurt anything, just an annoying sound when doing between forward/reverse torque between the shaft and hub, it moves just enough to make a noise.

If they're torqued correctly the bolts should be fine without red loctite, though I'm surprised they didn't use any at all. I thought those bolts came with some on it actually, but it's been a few years since I changed mine. I would have at least used blue though.. really don't want those coming loose.
Old 03-14-2019, 08:47 PM
xBoostx
Melting Slicks

Received 251 Likes on 196 Posts

I put the blue thread lock and hat to remove it later to swap to long studs result was broke two 1/2 inch breaker bars would not come loose, had to buy a 1,200 foot pounds capacity newmatic torque wrench, that worked just saying.
Torque spec is 240 lbs. The dry glue on there from factory is all that’s needed imo.
Old 03-14-2019, 10:54 PM
stoessjc
Burning Brakes

Received 45 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by xBoostx
I put the blue thread lock and hat to remove it later to swap to long studs result was broke two 1/2 inch breaker bars would not come loose, had to buy a 1,200 foot pounds capacity newmatic torque wrench, that worked just saying.
Torque spec is 240 lbs. The dry glue on there from factory is all that’s needed imo.
My shop manual shows torque spec on drive axle spindle nut 151 lb-ft.
By dry glue, do you mean a new spindle nut comes with the coating already applied to the threads?

Get notified of new replies

To Replace Rear Wheel Bearings

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Replace Rear Wheel Bearings