C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

NPP vs Non-Npp/Base Muffler Cans

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2019, 10:50 AM
da6speed
Burning Brakes

Received 89 Likes on 78 Posts

Default NPP vs Non-Npp/Base Muffler Cans

Tried searching with no luck. Talking about NPP vs Base, NOT the Z06/ZR1 mufflers.

Is there a difference in the muffler cans themselves between the base NPP and the base mufflers without the npp.
Old 06-24-2019, 11:11 AM
crusher1
Burning Brakes

Received 89 Likes on 75 Posts

This may help

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...p-muffler.html
Old 06-24-2019, 04:01 PM
da6speed
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by crusher1
That is internal of NPP muffler.. Now I wonder what a non-npp looks like.

Trying to figure out if non-npp can is less restrictive than npp closed.
Old 06-24-2019, 04:55 PM
HOXXOH
Race Director

Received 2,060 Likes on 1,505 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

Base muffler pic. Inlet on the left and exit on the right. There was fiberglass in the center compartment.

Old 06-24-2019, 05:42 PM
old motorhead
Le Mans Master

Received 1,336 Likes on 945 Posts

I can tell you that NPP's closed fall 20hp short of NPP's open. That's on a 470rwhp cam and bolt on LS3. Saw that on a dyno. NPP's open get you an extra 6 hp vs stock narrow body mufflers on a stock LS3...per GM. I suspect that difference may grow if/when you had HP.
Old 06-24-2019, 08:19 PM
da6speed
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by HOXXOH
Base muffler pic. Inlet on the left and exit on the right. There was fiberglass in the center compartment.

Originally Posted by old motorhead
I can tell you that NPP's closed fall 20hp short of NPP's open. That's on a 470rwhp cam and bolt on LS3. Saw that on a dyno. NPP's open get you an extra 6 hp vs stock narrow body mufflers on a stock LS3...per GM. I suspect that difference may grow if/when you had HP.
I wonder if the fiberglass helps with drone or the muffler design itself? My non-npp mufflers had zero drone and worked great, changed to npp few years back when I went head/cam/nitrous. I know NPP open vs closed is huge difference.. Now I'm procharged and the npp open drone is awful. Car will not run worth a crap with npp closed, like falls on it's face with just a few lbs of boost. I'm debating on going back to base mufflers but wondering how much power I might lose.
Old 06-25-2019, 07:26 AM
old motorhead
Le Mans Master

Received 1,336 Likes on 945 Posts

I'm assuming you have NPP in a box to control the mufflers. If so, the controller is in your right hand cubby just inside the trunk. Take the controller out of the system by hooking the vacuum feed from the engine direct to the vacuum line going to the mufflers. You're just by-passing the controller. You'll have to cut the line going from the box to the mufflers as it's connected inside the controller. Just cut it as long as possible in case you want to put the controller back in the loop. The hose from the engine is connected by a hose barb on the outside of the box. It just pulls off. You may have a zip tie there that you'll need to cut off. You'll need a vacuum line butt connector that is made for different size vacuum lines as the line going to the mufflers is much smaller than the line coming from the engine. They are commonly available at just about any auto parts store. This is about a 1 minute job that's cheap, easily done, and easily reversible.

Running it this way means your NPP's are closed anytime there is 5" of vacuum or more at the engine. Just driving abound easy and it's quiet. The moment you step on it hard, they will open immediately.
Old 08-19-2019, 03:11 PM
da6speed
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by old motorhead
I'm assuming you have NPP in a box to control the mufflers. If so, the controller is in your right hand cubby just inside the trunk. Take the controller out of the system by hooking the vacuum feed from the engine direct to the vacuum line going to the mufflers. You're just by-passing the controller. You'll have to cut the line going from the box to the mufflers as it's connected inside the controller. Just cut it as long as possible in case you want to put the controller back in the loop. The hose from the engine is connected by a hose barb on the outside of the box. It just pulls off. You may have a zip tie there that you'll need to cut off. You'll need a vacuum line butt connector that is made for different size vacuum lines as the line going to the mufflers is much smaller than the line coming from the engine. They are commonly available at just about any auto parts store. This is about a 1 minute job that's cheap, easily done, and easily reversible.

Running it this way means your NPP's are closed anytime there is 5" of vacuum or more at the engine. Just driving abound easy and it's quiet. The moment you step on it hard, they will open immediately.
I know how the NPP works, I have it on my car, installed it myself as it didn't come with it..

I was thinking of ditching the NPP for a base muffler but was wondering how much more restrictive the base muffler is compared to an NPP open.

Get notified of new replies

To NPP vs Non-Npp/Base Muffler Cans

Quick Reply: NPP vs Non-Npp/Base Muffler Cans