C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fuel pressure

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2023, 05:16 PM
Jimmybevis
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Fuel pressure

I need a little help taking the fuel pressure on my AC6 Z51.

I hooked up the tester to the end of the fuel rail, but not getting any readings. Is there something else I need to do to get a good number? I also tried to check the fuel line that goes into the rail but cant get the connector off. It looks like a push/pull connection but no luck (Yes I did take the connector lock off first).

I had a new fuel pump on it a few months ago so that shouldnt be the problem.
Thanks
Jim
Old 02-26-2023, 06:10 PM
ClothSeats
Drifting

Received 797 Likes on 515 Posts

To disconnect the fuel line, you need a special, but inexpensive tool. Search on Youtube for videos that show how to disconnect the fuel line. Forgive me if this sounds dumb, but you didn't say that the engine was running when you tried to measure the pressure with your gauge on the fuel rail. The engine must be running, or in "on" mode so the fuel pump is running in order to measure fuel pressure.
Old 02-26-2023, 06:25 PM
Jimmybevis
Advanced

Default Fuel pressure

Originally Posted by ClothSeats
To disconnect the fuel line, you need a special, but inexpensive tool. Search on Youtube for videos that show how to disconnect the fuel line. Forgive me if this sounds dumb, but you didn't say that the engine was running when you tried to measure the pressure with your gauge on the fuel rail. The engine must be running, or in "on" mode so the fuel pump is running in order to measure fuel pressure.
The car is in a crank/no run status. When I tried to measure the pressure if was trying to crank.
I would hate it the fuel pump was bad. I just had a new one installed not long ago. I have no idea how long
GM warranties the Pump.

Thanks for your input.
Old 02-27-2023, 05:04 AM
torquetube
Le Mans Master

Received 655 Likes on 474 Posts

Originally Posted by Jimmybevis
The car is in a crank/no run status. When I tried to measure the pressure if was trying to crank.
I would hate it the fuel pump was bad. I just had a new one installed not long ago. I have no idea how long
GM warranties the Pump.

Thanks for your input.
Are you saying it cranks (for like 10 seconds or so) but won't start? That would be consistent with no fuel pressure.

Check the fuel pump relay, and the fuel pump relay terminals in the connector under the fuse box.
Old 05-27-2023, 11:34 AM
Drift Vette
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

GM warranties the Pump.

Thanks for your input.
Did you ever get this fixed? I am having no fuel pressure at cranking either.
Old 05-27-2023, 01:59 PM
Jimmybevis
Advanced

Originally Posted by Drift Vette
Yes the car is fixed. After spending over $6000 on pumps and other parts it turned out to be an electrical issue. I would check that first.

FYI: Dont make the same mistake I made by taking the car to a dealer. I went through three chevy dealers who couldnt help me. I found a small shop that specializes in foreign cars and they had the thing fixed within three days.

Jim
Old 05-27-2023, 04:19 PM
C5 Diag
Moderator, Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,136 Likes on 1,701 Posts

Yes the car is fixed. After spending over $6000 on pumps and other parts it turned out to be an electrical issue. I would check that first.

FYI: Dont make the same mistake I made by taking the car to a dealer. I went through three chevy dealers who couldnt help me. I found a small shop that specializes in foreign cars and they had the thing fixed within three days.

Jim
Doesn’t surprise me a dealership couldn’t diagnose this…can’t remember the last time I read on the Forum a dealership diagnosed a car correctly !!..what was the electrical issue ???

Last edited by C5 Diag; 05-27-2023 at 04:31 PM.
Old 05-27-2023, 04:21 PM
C5 Diag
Moderator, Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,136 Likes on 1,701 Posts

Originally Posted by Drift Vette

Do you own a 12 volt incandescent test light ??…that is all you need to diagnose this !!…does your fuel pressure gauge have a pin in the end of the hose that will push open the Schrader valve ??…do you hear the pump turn on for 2 seconds with ignition on ??

Last edited by C5 Diag; 05-27-2023 at 04:30 PM.
Old 05-27-2023, 04:27 PM
Dano523
Race Director

Received 3,028 Likes on 2,182 Posts

What gauge, since you may have to pull the schrader valve if the gauge does not have a way of opening it in the fuel rail port, or is pushing the valve deep enough to open it.

Get notified of new replies

To Fuel pressure

Quick Reply: Fuel pressure