C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2005 Electric Steering?

Old 04-14-2004, 10:59 AM
Suttleone
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 2005 Electric Steering?

I have been trying to sniff out un-announced changes due on the 2005 by studying the Cadillac SRX. It has rack and pinion electric assisted steering. Has anyone heard if this is going to be in the Corvette too? I've read that it is a great improvement over hydraulic assist on european cars. Its better on fuel consumption also. (I inadvertently posted this on the C5 Forum too. Sorry.)
Old 04-14-2004, 10:35 PM
SWCDuke
Race Director

Received 1,973 Likes on 1,188 Posts

Default Re: 2005 Electric Steering? (Suttleone)

I've seen no mention of anything "new" about the C6 steering, so I believe it's safe to assume that the C5 Magnasteer system has been carried over, probably with minor tuning changes.

The Z51 package includes a P/S cooler, which would probably not be necessary with an electrohydraulic system, since the electric motor only turns the pump fast enough to provide the necessary boost, or in the case of some systems, provide a direct electrically actuated torque assist to the steering column.

Duke
Old 04-15-2004, 08:48 AM
Scissors
☠☣☢ Semper Ebrius ☢☣☠
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Cruise-In IV-V-VI-VII Veteran
St. Jude's Donor '06

Default Re: 2005 Electric Steering? (SWCDuke)

I've seen no mention of anything "new" about the C6 steering, so I believe it's safe to assume that the C5 Magnasteer system has been carried over, probably with minor tuning changes.
You are correct. GM even stated that the caster angle has been changed to help the C6 avoid following ruts in the road.

Get notified of new replies

To 2005 Electric Steering?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2005 Electric Steering?