C7 Forced Induction/Nitrous C7 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Pulley Upgrades, Intercoolers, Wet and Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Which Supercharger to put on a 2017 Grand Sport??

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2017, 07:12 AM
BlueDevilZ51
Melting Slicks

Received 389 Likes on 271 Posts

Chuck, i was curious what kinda dyno numbers youve been seeing with the E Force, i have the stage 2. Also what you thought of the Edelbrock tune? They sent me one for 93 octane, not sure if its much different from their 91 octane tune?

Last edited by BlueDevilZ51; 06-15-2017 at 07:15 AM.
Old 06-15-2017, 10:52 AM
robert miller
Team Owner

Received 1,762 Likes on 1,529 Posts

Default ttt

I will give you that on the Eaton blower & what GM has done & the war on them. But also you need to look at the down side on if you take this car to the track IAT heat.

Plus really don't again with you on the power down low it has to much down low & all out of power in down low & just blowing the tires off the car. I cant believe you saying the front mount has to much power up top are we not running are racing the cars here.

Also if the belts & pulleys are all lined up correct the belts last for a few years. To me this is more that time to recheck stuff under the hood. I will give you that if a person will never touch are do any mods on the car then you would be 100% correct. But then again if that was true you wouldn't be doing any business.

I am nothing at all from what you do here at all from all the guys that have posted on the work you have done on these cars. Just making a statement on power in a power & when it comes on in the power range & how it works in the power band.
Old 06-15-2017, 06:40 PM
LSX228R
Pro

Received 88 Likes on 67 Posts

E force is cool until you floor it. Then it's kind of disappointing.
The following 2 users liked this post by LSX228R:
SuprChrgdC7 (06-18-2017), ULOSECLOWN (03-28-2021)
Old 06-15-2017, 11:16 PM
BlueDevilZ51
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by LSX228R
E force is cool until you floor it. Then it's kind of disappointing.
Not true but funny
Old 06-15-2017, 11:20 PM
robert miller
Team Owner

Originally Posted by BlueDevilZ51
Not true but funny
In which way are you looking at it being fun here. If you are spinning you are not winning. I know it would be fun over a stock non blown car for sure. Robert
Old 06-16-2017, 12:24 AM
BlueDevilZ51
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by robert miller
In which way are you looking at it being fun here. If you are spinning you are not winning. I know it would be fun over a stock non blown car for sure. Robert
I know you say the e force spins, I did have that issue in January when it was 25* out even when going wot around 80 mph. Now on say an 80* day and the tires are warm I get very good traction over 25-30mph on stock run flats. A quick flash of the traction control light and then hooks. I'm not saying you can't make more power with other units, but I'd line up with any of them that are still running the stock fuel system without meth like me. With my stage 2 kit I put a few cars on my buddies zo6 and took out a CBR 1000 a few weeks ago(40mph roll). He was laughing before but thumbs up after. If that's disappointing I guess I'm easily pleased.
Old 06-16-2017, 01:43 AM
0Chuck CoW
Former Vendor

Received 243 Likes on 183 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07-'08-'09-'10-'12-'13-'14

Default Remember, 91 octane is all you get in most of the country.

Originally Posted by BlueDevilZ51
Chuck, i was curious what kinda dyno numbers youve been seeing with the E Force, i have the stage 2. Also what you thought of the Edelbrock tune? They sent me one for 93 octane, not sure if its much different from their 91 octane tune?

Remember, 91 octane is all you get in most of the country. Where octane is low and climate is warm/hot

Edelbrock has to be sure the car performs up to the advertised HP and it still has to be SAFE for an aggressive driver

under 91 octane/warm climate conditions. I have to say, the base tune is great for most people and

given the WARRANTY they offer.... I'd say their tune is great!

Certainly in the field, we can adjust and mitigate the torque management or for instance install my CoW BOOSTER!

but even still.... Their tune is great and most importantly safe and reliable without missing a beat.

My every day struggle here at Corvettes of Westchester is (while it often makes me the odd man out)

is to convince people that most RACING parts are exactly what the name implies... FOR RACING.

... And that RACING parts and big peak HP numbers are just not smart or good practice for (most) street driven

vehicles that are expected to be reliable and fun.

Day in and day out people quote these numbers from shops and think that RACING parts are how to make your vehicle

fun and enjoyable.... But, most often I'll prove them wrong even with a car with LESS HP than they thought they needed

to be happy with the car.

The Edelbrock E-Force is one of those kits where people tell me "...BUT A CENTRI MAKES MORE POWER THAN A ROOTS BLOWER"

Over and over again I have to explain that they are 2 different animals and really can't be compared.....

Each system has it's benefits and drawbacks.... Problem is, most people get swayed by advice that's biased.

Most people spend thousands of dollars on mods like this and they also want (or assume) that outside of the HP #'s

that the final product is comparable... But, respectfully.... I disagree.

Most people expect that "MORE" is always better, but experience shows that most often it's not the case...

Anyone with an E-Force should really like the power and overall performance....and after times goes by...

The reliability and maintenance free performance becomes more and more worth it.... and more and more apparent.

Chuck CoW
Old 06-16-2017, 02:05 AM
0Chuck CoW
Former Vendor

Default I can appreciate your perspective.....

Originally Posted by robert miller
I will give you that on the Eaton blower & what GM has done & the war on them. But also you need to look at the down side on if you take this car to the track IAT heat.

Plus really don't again with you on the power down low it has to much down low & all out of power in down low & just blowing the tires off the car. I cant believe you saying the front mount has to much power up top are we not running are racing the cars here.

Also if the belts & pulleys are all lined up correct the belts last for a few years. To me this is more that time to recheck stuff under the hood. I will give you that if a person will never touch are do any mods on the car then you would be 100% correct. But then again if that was true you wouldn't be doing any business.

I am nothing at all from what you do here at all from all the guys that have posted on the work you have done on these cars. Just making a statement on power in a power & when it comes on in the power range & how it works in the power band.

I can appreciate your perspective....., but here's my opinion.

Clearly, Big **** and big HP #'s grab everyone's attention.... And the front page of the NY TIMES is also engineered to catch peoples

attention.... to sell newspapers.

While there are plenty of you out there who track your cars and strive to better and beat your last track time, you need to understand

that those of you who fit this profile..... Are in the minority.

One thing that I've learned from this forum business over the years is that I stay very busy.... because I appeal to the masses.

Fact is, that there are FAR FEWER customers that buy superchargers that ACTUALLY TRACK THEIR CARS OR COMPETE than those

retired fellas that have the money and want a really fast car.... AND want to drive cross country to visit the grand kids in their

SUPERCHARGED vette. No tossing belts, no burnt up idler pulleys.... You know what I mean. No insult intended to anyone here,

but again.... Guys wanting/needing/shooting for big bear and bigger HP #'s...... are still the minority and the guys wanting what the

ROOTS systems and E-Force offers are clearly the (silent) majority.... Most often they are not the authors of the BIG #'s

threads and what % mix of METH is best to run....etc... They lurk and watch.... and may not participate in the FI SECTION too much,

but, rest assured they are still the majority... The majority of MY customer base.

"Track Guys" can't understand why everyone else isn't at the track every day..... But fact is, most people are simply most happy to

take the car out every sunday......Even if it's not a 10.5 pass every time.

I hope I'm making sense here.... Not looking to stir the pot, just offering another (my) perspective on a topic that most people

may not know exists.....

What I mean is.... Don't shop for a wife by her breast size.... and Don't shop for MODS by PEAK HP promises.

Sometimes you can do (and enjoy) a LOT more with LESS.

When I post on the forum, clearly I'm not marketing to the "track crew" we'll say.... We do lots of track work for both amateur drag

racers and round track guys alike.... But, guys wanting the hard core stuff and expect to daily drive the car.... We do our best to

talk people out of those type of mods and into more sensible, reliable, and often less expensive stuff.

I'm no maverick forum vendor looking to cause trouble.... When I speak out about something, I'm talking to EVERYONE (yes) but

I'm only expecting to reach the MAJORITY as I explained earlier.

That is the market I'm interested in.... Please nobody be offended by what I say.... I just simply have a "target audience" in

mind when I post here... and I'm not bothered if not everyone agrees with me.

I totally expect it. There is a method to my madness.
Chuck CoW
The following 4 users liked this post by Chuck CoW:
cruzr6 (06-21-2017), LuckyGuy (06-19-2017), Rayrider7 (01-23-2018), slowhatch (06-28-2017)
Old 06-17-2017, 06:18 PM
BrunoTheMellow
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,396 Likes on 999 Posts

Originally Posted by Chuck CoW

Clearly, Big **** and big HP #'s grab everyone's attention.... And the front page of the NY TIMES is also engineered to catch peoples

While there are plenty of you out there who track your cars and strive to better and beat your last track time, you need to understand

One thing that I've learned from this forum business over the years is that I stay very busy.... because I appeal to the masses.

Fact is, that there are FAR FEWER customers that buy superchargers that ACTUALLY TRACK THEIR CARS OR COMPETE than those

retired fellas that have the money and want a really fast car.... AND want to drive cross country to visit the grand kids in their

SUPERCHARGED vette. No tossing belts, no burnt up idler pulleys.... You know what I mean. No insult intended to anyone here,

but again.... Guys wanting/needing/shooting for big bear and bigger HP #'s...... are still the minority and the guys wanting what the

ROOTS systems and E-Force offers are clearly the (silent) majority.... Most often they are not the authors of the BIG #'s

threads and what % mix of METH is best to run....etc... They lurk and watch.... and may not participate in the FI SECTION too much,

but, rest assured they are still the majority... The majority of MY customer base.

"Track Guys" can't understand why everyone else isn't at the track every day..... But fact is, most people are simply most happy to

I hope I'm making sense here.... Not looking to stir the pot, just offering another (my) perspective on a topic that most people

may not know exists.....

What I mean is.... Don't shop for a wife by her breast size.... and Don't shop for MODS by PEAK HP promises.

When I post on the forum, clearly I'm not marketing to the "track crew" we'll say.... We do lots of track work for both amateur drag

racers and round track guys alike.... But, guys wanting the hard core stuff and expect to daily drive the car.... We do our best to

talk people out of those type of mods and into more sensible, reliable, and often less expensive stuff.

I'm no maverick forum vendor looking to cause trouble.... When I speak out about something, I'm talking to EVERYONE (yes) but

That is the market I'm interested in.... Please nobody be offended by what I say.... I just simply have a "target audience" in

Chuck CoW
I picked centrifugal because I do HDPEs on my car. I couldn't imagine how fast my car would overheat with an eforce.
Old 06-18-2017, 11:27 AM
0Quik Z06
Former Vendor

Received 411 Likes on 280 Posts

This is who I chose. Had a whipple on my 03 Cobra years ago and traction was always a pain, I can respect everyone's opinions on them and preferences but for me I like the way centris perform

Old 06-19-2017, 08:15 PM
acz06
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

I just had my shop pull my lt4 blower and catch can.. 2000 plus shipping.. a deal..a couple of people on the forums did the lt4 set up with great results..
Old 06-19-2017, 08:42 PM
vetteandv
Racer

Received 226 Likes on 109 Posts

What brand catch can?
Old 06-20-2017, 08:45 PM
VIC_C7
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a A&A on my vette with the 3.8 pulley, meth and tsp headers. The car made 620whp. I personally don't like the waste gate sound, and also under certain conditions you will smell oil. As of today 10k miles on the blower, two 1/2 miles event and one 1/4 mile event and the car run strong.

I am just getting prep for my third 1/2 on the first week of July.

Now if your GS is an automatic unfortunately you will need to go with a vertical front mount intercooler that is only offered by procharger or eliminate the front oil cooler as the A&A intercooler sit were the oil cooler is in the GS.
Old 06-20-2017, 09:10 PM
snow
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 220 Likes on 171 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10, '17-'18-'19

I have hated centris for ever. Nothing but headaches with belt wrap, changing belts, excessive (and at times permanent)

mods to the car, nose heavy, too much power up top and not enough on bottom, restrictor plates, blower bearing failure,

overpowering the trans, blow-off-valves and other blower noises, and so on.......

That's why... Really simple, GM has about a million engineers making what they feel is the BEST AND MOST RELIABLE

SUPERCHARGERS for their WORLD CLASS ZR1, ZO6, ZL1, CTSV, etc.....

These cars are all NO JOKE and come with big warranties and 100,000 mile service intervals ONLY BECAUSE they use the

TOTALLY RELIABLE EATON ROTORS, BEARINGS, DESIGN, etc....

QUIET, RELIABLE, well designed belt configuration that does not throw or eat belts.....

I could go on for hours..... WHY AGAIN, would you NOT use a roots blower??????

Also, most people get sucked into horsepower promises and buy with their eyes and not their heads.

Hands down, the EATON family of superchargers is simply the most proven and reliable supercharger design out there.

Big power down low (where you need it) and not excessive power up top that tears stuff up.

Not looking to cause a fist fight here, but simply put.... Most of the time the consumer does not know what they are buying

and they get "RACE CAR" type advice from shops instead of "good sense" advice.

We have ZERO issues with ROOTS BLOWERS here and any supercharger repairs that ever come in the door are

ALWAYS centri type blowers. It's a design that self destructs.....

Send a centri back to the manufacturer for "repair" and it takes WEEKS.... WHY, because they are always swamped

with repairs..... ROOTS blower manufacturers have a minimum of repairs.

Edelbrock explains that the "service interval" for their supercharger is 100,000 (YES, 100 THOUSAND) miles between

oil services or overhaul.

None of the centri manufacturers offer anything like it.

I made my decision many many years ago.
Chuck CoW
Chuck thanks for the detailed explanation but let me ask you dont root style charges also suffer from heat soak in some way? For track days would it not be better to use a centrifugal SC? thanks in advance for the schooling...
The following users liked this post:
Chuck CoW (10-31-2017)
Old 10-31-2017, 04:47 AM
0Chuck CoW
Former Vendor

Default Simple mods can be made to roots blowers to make them cool for racing.

Originally Posted by snow
Chuck thanks for the detailed explanation but let me ask you dont root style charges also suffer from heat soak in some way? For track days would it not be better to use a centrifugal SC? thanks in advance for the schooling...
Centri superchargers have a host of defects that can not be easily overcome.......reliability being the #1 fault. Belts, bearings, mounting.....etc..... always trouble. Flip drives and such.....

None of that mess with the Edelbrock E-Force Supercharger!

First rate - 100,000 mile service interval..... Better than ALL AVAILABLE.

You can't beat that!

Chuck CoW
The following 2 users liked this post by Chuck CoW:
BlueDevilZ51 (10-31-2017), snow (10-31-2017)
Old 10-31-2017, 07:23 AM
NoOne
Team Owner

Received 503 Likes on 247 Posts

That's why... Really simple, GM has about a million engineers making what they feel is the BEST AND MOST RELIABLE
PD blowers are from OEM's due to packaging reasons.

Centri's never come into the discussion not because of any of the issues you mention, it is just easier to bolt something on top the motor.
Old 10-31-2017, 07:25 AM
NoOne
Team Owner

Received 503 Likes on 247 Posts

Centri superchargers have a host of defects that can not be easily overcome.......reliability being the #1 fault. Belts, bearings, mounting.....etc..... always trouble. Flip drives and such.....

You can't beat that!

Chuck CoW
You ignored his question. PD blowers heat soak terribly and the cooling complexity and cost is quite high.

My S4 had a PD blower and the limitation that everyone runs into, heat soak. What it takes to keep it cool after 1-2 runs.

Get notified of new replies

To Which Supercharger to put on a 2017 Grand Sport??

Old 10-31-2017, 11:54 AM
algZO6
Melting Slicks

Received 106 Likes on 80 Posts

You can't beat that!

Chuck CoW
Old 10-31-2017, 01:31 PM
robert miller
Team Owner

may not know exists.....

Chuck CoW

Chuck I understand what you are getting across here on guys wanting something that will run good & has just a few more rwhp.

I am in that same boat now from the prev's set up in the c5. I also agree I want something to per say I feel safe in that MAY not break every time I get on it really hard also.

I also agree with you on what type of this business that you are looking for & agree with that 100% cause the other hard core guys that really set up the car for per say all out kill in it your stuff will not do nothing for them that HP tuners & EFI will not do better in the car.

Not saying nothing on what you do here on the T.B. settings & the trans line setting yes it does feel faster by the seat of the pants running. Robert
Old 10-31-2017, 05:45 PM
0Chuck CoW
Former Vendor

Default Nobody ignored anyone......

Originally Posted by NoOne
You ignored his question. PD blowers heat soak terribly and the cooling complexity and cost is quite high.

My S4 had a PD blower and the limitation that everyone runs into, heat soak. What it takes to keep it cool after 1-2 runs.
Nobody ignored any questions.... There is no possible (sensible) way to compare the two blower types.

Roots blowers manufactured in the past 10 years simply fit better and provide much more utility and instant power than

centri designs..... No proof needed here..... General Motors Chose the roots blower for all of the same reasons listed above

and Companies like Lingenfelter and myself really don't offer centris because when it comes down to it they are just not

worth the headache..... Big peaky top end power.... for a sort time. and the trade offs are just not worth the headache

for most of us....

Kinda like a wife with the LARGEST fake breasts they make..... Might look cool short term....

But when she don't wanna sleep with you because her back is out...(from the over-sized ****) then they don't look

soooo cool any more....Do they??? Then they SAG....and the whole package gets traded in for a new one....

That's how I look at centris.... Instant gratification.... if you're willing to deal with all the crap that comes with them.....

It's just how I see it....
Chuck CoW

Quick Reply: Which Supercharger to put on a 2017 Grand Sport??