C7 Forced Induction/Nitrous C7 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Pulley Upgrades, Intercoolers, Wet and Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LT4 HPFP/Injectors

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2019, 07:04 PM
hogurt
Drifting

Received 34 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by FYREANT

will it work? Yes. Should you do it? No. Why? The C7 has a known issue that when the intank pump is worked too hard it will overheat and die under racing conditions on C7’s that haven’t even been modified. Several people have had their C7’s bought back through lemon law as a result of this. Because everytime they would replace the pump the owner could replicate the issue again under the same conditions.

The ZR1 and the 2019 Z06, (and only the 2019 Z06, not prior years) were believed to have a higher flowing pump, however, if I remember correctly it was discovered that the pump is voltage regulated to run at a lower PSI than all the prior year C7 in tank pumps (which were all the exact same regardless of Z06 or non-Z06 prior to 2019) until it was commanded to pump higher, at which point it would be cooler for a longer period of time to fight the overheating issue. The max PSI on the low side remained the same though. If I remember correctly, all C7 up through 2018 flowed 72 PSI on the low side. In 2019 they flowed around 59 PSI and then when commanded higher based on acceleration demand they would raise to 72 PSI.

Knowing this information, do you feel comfortable trying to boost this pump? I sure don’t..

- Ant
Good question and interesting data. Just thinking through that information, here are my initial thoughts: I don't believe a voltage booster causes the pump to "work harder". The fuel pump needs a certain amount of voltage to perform correctly. In normal driving without boost, the drops in voltage and drops in fuel pressure aren't that big of a deal. I will have to get some logs of my car and see what it shows.

Unlike NA setups, in a forced induction setup, voltage fluctuation results in different fuel pressure. If the voltage delivered to the pump becomes low, the pump will not deliver the fuel at the right fuel pressure. So, to answer your question, yes. As of now, I have 0 concerns with adding a voltage booster. If the fuel pump is bad...it's bad...supplying the correct voltage (that the fuel pump is designed to receive) will not be a cause for failure. Personally, I would be more concerned about voltage fluctuation resulting in inconsistent fuel pressure...

I will talk to my tuner to get his thoughts. Thanks for the heads up.

Last edited by hogurt; 01-15-2019 at 07:05 PM.
Old 01-15-2019, 07:26 PM
FYREANT
I'm Batman..
Pro Mechanic
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 908 Likes on 561 Posts
Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by hogurt
Good question and interesting data. Just thinking through that information, here are my initial thoughts: I don't believe a voltage booster causes the pump to "work harder". The fuel pump needs a certain amount of voltage to perform correctly. In normal driving without boost, the drops in voltage and drops in fuel pressure aren't that big of a deal. I will have to get some logs of my car and see what it shows.

Unlike NA setups, in a forced induction setup, voltage fluctuation results in different fuel pressure. If the voltage delivered to the pump becomes low, the pump will not deliver the fuel at the right fuel pressure. So, to answer your question, yes. As of now, I have 0 concerns with adding a voltage booster. If the fuel pump is bad...it's bad...supplying the correct voltage (that the fuel pump is designed to receive) will not be a cause for failure. Personally, I would be more concerned about voltage fluctuation resulting in inconsistent fuel pressure...

I will talk to my tuner to get his thoughts. Thanks for the heads up.
Boost a pumps by design do indeed make the pump work harder. If you are only trying to make the pump more consistent then you are after a pump “regulator”.
Old 01-16-2019, 12:13 PM
C7&7
Le Mans Master

Received 863 Likes on 600 Posts

Originally Posted by FYREANT

Boost a pumps by design do indeed make the pump work harder. If you are only trying to make the pump more consistent then you are after a pump “regulator”.
Agreed. This goes back to the boost a pump concept that came with every c6 blower kit back in the day.

It in effect “overspins” the pump similar to pulleying down on a supercharger.
Old 01-21-2019, 06:48 PM
Silverboost
Racer

Received 50 Likes on 44 Posts

The pump does spin harder but it is only being worked harder when a pre determined amount of boost is present. So in most cases it is for a very short period of time. Literally for seconds at a time.
Old 01-29-2019, 08:44 PM
us3rname
Pro

Received 152 Likes on 106 Posts

Originally Posted by BlueDevilZ51
I believe the LT1 fuel system runs out just over 600whp. If I went with the LT4 HPFP and LT4 injectors what kinda power are they good for on a boosted LT1? I don't want to use meth and I'm not looking to make crazy power. I'm looking to make around 625whp being I'll be limited by the stock pistons.
I'm assuming if i go this route I'll be limited to the same stock fuel limits of a stock Zo6, I just haven't heard what that is.
LT4 blower, injectors, HPFP and 5% od pulley with the factory stingray lp fuel pump made 620/672 with zero fueling issues.

Quick Reply: LT4 HPFP/Injectors