Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Automobile Magazine - C7

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2007, 12:28 AM
robl45
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

UMM, NO! Chevy hasn't gotten anywhere near the Ford GT. The Ford GT is a piece of Artwork. It is an amazingly beautiful car that I'm sure everyone on this forum would have if they could afford it. While the Z06 may be as fast, it isn't even close to the Ford GT.

Originally Posted by GMuffley
Chevy already caught the Ford GT-- the Z06.
Old 07-08-2007, 12:41 AM
zbrett
Burning Brakes

Received 76 Likes on 58 Posts

Bring it on. If GM can build a world class mid-engine car for a bargain price, my check is in the mail.
Old 07-08-2007, 12:44 AM
Zymurgy

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 15,076 Likes on 6,173 Posts

As others have said, rumors of a mid-engine Corvette are older than many of our forum members are. Are these rumors any more accurate than the same rumors for the past 3 Corvette generations? Who knows. I'm certainly not going to hold my breath waiting for a mid-engine Corvette.

Old 07-08-2007, 12:49 AM
zbrett
Burning Brakes

Received 76 Likes on 58 Posts

With all the mid-engine concept Corvettes that GM has done over the years, it certainly isn't like this is new territory. A mid-engine would be something that would guarantee I would go from my C6 to a C7.
Old 07-08-2007, 03:59 PM
autophile
Advanced

Originally Posted by robl45
UMM, NO! Chevy hasn't gotten anywhere near the Ford GT. The Ford GT is a piece of Artwork. It is an amazingly beautiful car that I'm sure everyone on this forum would have if they could afford it. While the Z06 may be as fast, it isn't even close to the Ford GT.
I beg to differ. Though I'm not saying the Ford GT isn't a work of art -- it is (especially for a Ford), but a Z06 will literally walk away from a roll. I know, I didn't believe it either, but feel free to Google it. The Z06 is severely limited by traction issues.
Old 07-08-2007, 05:16 PM
KMK454
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Wayne O
As noted its all SWAG at this point but despite Corvette's already excellent weight distribution ratios, it wouldn't surprise me to see a mid-engine C7. It will be interesting to watch as the C7 reveals itself over the coming years.
Weight distribution is one issue, but minimizing polar moments is another. The more focused the car's mass is around the central axis of rotation, the better. A mid-engine layout would help achieve this.
Old 07-08-2007, 05:34 PM
robl45
Melting Slicks

even if the z06 walks away in a roll, I'd still much rather have a Ford GT. Not trying to upset anyone, but this is stupid. Its a much nicer car, that doesn't mean the Corvettes aren't nice, they are and they are a great value for the dollar. Horsepower isn't everything, well its almost everything I don't want to sound like those BMW guys.

Originally Posted by autophile
I beg to differ. Though I'm not saying the Ford GT isn't a work of art -- it is (especially for a Ford), but a Z06 will literally walk away from a roll. I know, I didn't believe it either, but feel free to Google it. The Z06 is severely limited by traction issues.
Old 07-09-2007, 07:56 AM
vetdude
Race Director

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by autophile
Sure about that?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ICLw_Y-WuuI

160 mph+ in Detroit traffic!

GM dabbled with a mid-engine Corvette back in the 70's with the CERV I and CERV II, true. Then they tried again with the Ponitac Fiero. But, after they finally got the bugs worked out, in 1985 or 1986, they dropped the Fiero.

We need to keep this in our back pocket - once the Democrats regain power, the 500+ horsepower V8s and V10s will go the way of the Dodo bird in the interest of fuel economy and the environment. So the idea of a mid-engine 6-cylinder Corvette really isn't that too far-fetched.
Old 07-09-2007, 08:19 AM
LEON RESNICK
Advanced

I own a Ford GT and also a corvette. They are two completely different vehicles. Straight line acceleration is nice but handling can be even more important. That is where the GT shines. No corvette can keep up with a GT through the twisties because of the mid engine layout and the superior suspension. The GT was designed as a distinctive limited production racing type car, not a mass produced vehicle. They are completely different. Comparing apples to oranges. I love them both!

Leon Resnick
Old 07-09-2007, 08:25 AM
vetdude
Race Director

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by LEON RESNICK
I own a Ford GT and also a corvette. They are two completely different vehicles. Straight line acceleration is nice but handling can be even more important. That is where the GT shines. No corvette can keep up with a GT through the twisties because of the mid engine layout and the superior suspension. The GT was designed as a distinctive limited production racing type car, not a mass produced vehicle. They are completely different. Comparing apples to oranges. I love them both!

Leon Resnick
You, my friend, are one fortunate individual! Thanks for the subjective opinion on the two cars...even though there are some around here that will never believe it, even for a minute.
Old 07-09-2007, 10:02 AM
cmb13
Le Mans Master

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

I don't see it happening. I also don't see a 4 seat configuration in the Vette's future, although that was thrown out years back as well.
Old 07-09-2007, 02:08 PM
AFVETTE
Team Owner

Received 41 Likes on 28 Posts

Any configuration change has to be cost effective. Using an average of $1000 increase in base MSRP per year, the 2010 vette should cost no more than $48K and the 2011 around $49K. If some new configuration hikes the base MSRP by SEVERAL THOUSAND DOLLARS GM could have just killed off the Corvette as we know it - the affordable supercar for average hard working folks.

As it is a fully dressed 08 will list for over $60K and a vert is approaching $70K. There is an upper limit to sustain 35,000 units per year.

If GM can pull that off w/o a significant base price increase they are magician's.

Tom
Old 07-09-2007, 03:54 PM
John_R
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by AFVETTE

If GM can pull that off w/o a significant base price increase they are magician's.

Tom

GM can easily build a mid-engined corvette using the exact same frame chassis.

All they would have to do is move the engine and attach it directly to the transmission.

Move up the passenger compartment up front, (however you will have to sacrifice space due to wheelwell intruding inside the footwell)

GM can lower the overall height, to same height of a Murielago.
Also the C6 has the longest wheelbase, and it's longer then a Muciellago by 1.8 inches.

Lets not forget that the Lambo has a V-12 in the back, therefor a mid-engine Vette V8 can be better centered and placed much more in front of the rear axle for better weight distribution.

As far as luggage space, a Mid-engine Vette would have more luggage space
then a De Tomaso Pantera, due to its 6.7 inches longer wheelbase and it's longer 7.5 inches body length.

I have done a fast car dimension chart of a Murcielago V12, Gallardo V10, C6 V8 and Pantera (GTS) V8 so that you all have a better idea.

Last edited by John_R; 07-09-2007 at 04:24 PM. Reason: Correcting some mistakes.
Old 02-09-2008, 05:45 PM
2005ArcticWhite
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11,'18,'20-'21,'24

Around C-7

Quick Reply: Automobile Magazine - C7