Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Corvette will live on but lighter and greener

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2008, 08:14 PM
dagon138
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I'm all for a Lighter mid-engine corvette, even with a smaller engine. This won't be something that happens overnight. Those engineers will figure it out. I'm 6'4 so, not too small please!

Even now, GM could have put in Direction injection, variable cams, and cylinder deactivation into their V8's.

My feeling is that a race series needs to be developed that can push this lighter, faster, greener thing. Like everyone is set to race given a set amount of "fuel" to work with.

Look at Audi's big V12 diesel, look at the crazy power F1 engines make. All these technologies float down.
Old 01-26-2008, 08:43 PM
BuckGW
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'll take a lighter, more responsive Vette, but I also want one that is at least as fast as my 07, and has the same interior and trunk space.

If GM can do that and get 35 MPG, then I'll get one. However, I suspect I'll have my 07 for at least a decade.
Old 01-26-2008, 09:25 PM
StickShiftCorvette
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The Corvette could be kept similar to what it is (with additional HP and incremental weight reductions) by using at least one simple approach.

For each Corvette sold, a 1200 lb, two cylinder "car" with EPA ratings high enough to average out the Corvette's EPA rating to support any mandatory CAFE requirements would be given to the Corvette buyer when their Corvette is delivered.

In our area, Kia was offering a Rio FREE with the purchase of a new Kia SUV so it is not without precident.

Since the car wouldn't need to be "sold" it could be made as cheaply as possible perhaps with only a driver's side toll window, no power anything, a body made of unpainted recycled milk jugs, and virtually no interior (maybe only one seat!). The car would ONLY have to meet federally mandated requirements. There could be aftermarket accessories (passenger seats, radio, AC, etc....) to make them more attractive in the secondary market.

if the Corvette buyer didn't want the car he or she could donate it to an appropriate charity as tax deduction!!

Last edited by StickShiftCorvette; 01-26-2008 at 09:28 PM. Reason: improve wording
Old 01-26-2008, 11:06 PM
MikeyTX
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,186 Likes on 1,337 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15- '16-'17-‘18-‘19-'20-'21
NCM Lifetime Member

[QUOTE=siffert;1563797219] Dont know who was smoking what when they did that math.
QUOTE]

Siffert ! Empty your p/m box ............. It's full

Quick Reply: Corvette will live on but lighter and greener