Sponsored by:

C7 engine

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2008, 10:04 AM
Runge_Kutta
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default C7 engine

Well, the Gen V, OHV, small block looked like it was well on its way.

http://www.soldiersofsolidarity.com/...ntract_all.pdf

(search for the phrase "Gen V"). The OHV engine, 5X, is a
spark-ignition direct injection (SIDI) engine.

Now, GM V8 engines got put on the back burner.

http://www.forbes.com/markets/2008/0...markets33.html

"GM is also cutting its capital expenditures by $1.5 billion—mostly by delaying its next-generation large pickups, sports-utility vehicles and V8 engines—and cutting engineering costs back to 2006 levels. It’s also rethinking promotional ties to motor sports and other events in an effort to reduce expenditures."

This may influence the release date of C7 and its engine.
Old 07-16-2008, 03:58 PM
Hot Z06
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Runge_Kutta

(search for the phrase "Gen V"). The OHV engine, 5X, is a
spark-ignition direct injection (SIDI) engine.

Now, GM V8 engines got put on the back burner.

http://www.forbes.com/markets/2008/0...markets33.html

"GM is also cutting its capital expenditures by $1.5 billion—mostly by delaying its next-generation large pickups, sports-utility vehicles and V8 engines—and cutting engineering costs back to 2006 levels. It’s also rethinking promotional ties to motor sports and other events in an effort to reduce expenditures."

This may influence the release date of C7 and its engine.
Good Just keep making the LS7 Z06 and The LS9 ZR1
Old 07-16-2008, 04:23 PM
GN1270
Safety Car

How much faster do you need to go? After the GTR showed how valuable AWD can be, maybe they should start thinking in that direction next.
Old 07-16-2008, 05:20 PM
Racer X
Le Mans Master

Received 4,375 Likes on 2,066 Posts

Actually, direct injection is not about faster, it is about more efficient. The greater HP is a side benefit.

I doubt they will stop development on that aspect of V-8s. Perhaps they are stopping development on the "high content" v-8 replacement as had previously reported.

I don't know if they could easily add Direct Injection to the Gen IV engine without other changes.

AWD is not the answer, lighter weight is a better answer, it allows better performance and better milage. AWD costs money, and hurts your mileage, how does that fit in better with higher milage standards and better profitability?
Old 07-16-2008, 05:29 PM
03QuicksilverZ06
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Racer X
Actually, direct injection is not about faster, it is about more efficient. The greater HP is a side benefit.

I doubt they will stop development on that aspect of V-8s. Perhaps they are stopping development on the "high content" v-8 replacement as had previously reported.

I don't know if they could easily add Direct Injection to the Gen IV engine without other changes.

AWD is not the answer, lighter weight is a better answer, it allows better performance and better milage. AWD costs money, and hurts your mileage, how does that fit in better with higher milage standards and better profitability?
Racer X

If you do a search you can find many sources saying that the c7 corvette will be getting the the same HALDEX awd system as the bugatti veyron.. This is a lightweight very efficient awd system that allows 4% power to the front wheels and 96% to the back wheels until power is needed to different wheels. I really hope this happens so corvette can move toward to what "I believe" is the future and apparently so does GM.
Old 07-16-2008, 07:42 PM
ZeeOSix
Le Mans Master

Received 159 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by Runge_Kutta

Hummm ... GM and Delphi confidential info (marked on slide footers). Wonder if they know it's on the internet.
Old 07-16-2008, 09:28 PM
Tavarez
Drifting

interesting, I don't see the v8 disappearing.
Old 07-16-2008, 09:56 PM
vette-oholic
Melting Slicks

agreed, but i dont think thats what the thread is about..
its about the new v8s being delayed.

Originally Posted by Tavarez
Old 07-16-2008, 11:16 PM
Blow N By
Burning Brakes

Just like a four wheel drive pickup, there is added weight, a new set of rotating assemblies, and added maintenance, less fuel efficiency due to tire resistence. More moving parts = more $$$$. AWD is nice but just it's just what I like what I like in government, I'm looking for less. Taste's great...Less Filling....

Last edited by Blow N By; 07-16-2008 at 11:19 PM.
Old 07-17-2008, 11:37 AM
WhiteDiamond
Race Director

Received 84 Likes on 55 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

I think many of the technologies Runge has posted about and those that are discussed on this forum are much furthor along in development. I believe GM is already capable of putting DI on the V8 line, as the research and development is done.

This may not be the end of the V8, but I believe we are going to see much smaller displacement V8s in the future.
Old 07-17-2008, 02:04 PM
Hot Z06
Pro

Originally Posted by Tavarez
EVER!!!!!
Old 07-17-2008, 03:16 PM
Racer X
Le Mans Master

Did anybody notice the Gen V 6.2 DOHC engine mentioned? Perhaps, that is one of the V-8 engines that has had it's development delayed?

Does it sound like it was a Gen V block with DOHC heads, so the short blocks could the same with just different heads and cam drive systems?

edit:
I also just notice the mention of the Next Gen Corvette for 2011. Some HVAC parts mentioned in conjunction with GMX711/721/731, which must be another set of models with similar HVAC needs.

Last edited by Racer X; 07-17-2008 at 03:22 PM.
Old 07-17-2008, 11:55 PM
GrampZ
Pro

Received 69 Likes on 37 Posts

Did anybody notice the Gen V 6.2 DOHC engine mentioned?
I caught that too.

Does it sound like it was a Gen V block with DOHC heads, so the short blocks could the same with just different heads and cam drive systems?
Yes. DOHC means more R's (one way to get more bhp). And that bad a@@ bottom end is already bought and paid for.
Old 07-17-2008, 11:59 PM
GrampZ
Pro

Originally Posted by ZeeOSix
Hummm ... GM and Delphi confidential info (marked on slide footers). Wonder if they know it's on the internet.
The "confidential" was neither here nor there.

The "subject to protective order" means this posting to the web probably violates some judge's Order - and since it says "subject to Fed. Rule of Evidence 408" that judge would be a FEDERAL judge.
Old 07-18-2008, 12:11 AM
heavychevy
Safety Car

Received 179 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by 03QuicksilverZ06
Racer X

If you do a search you can find many sources saying that the c7 corvette will be getting the the same HALDEX awd system as the bugatti veyron.. This is a lightweight very efficient awd system that allows 4% power to the front wheels and 96% to the back wheels until power is needed to different wheels. I really hope this happens so corvette can move toward to what "I believe" is the future and apparently so does GM.

AWD on a corvette.

There is nothing that lightweight. It will still add around 70-100 lbs. Add a paddle shifter and that adds 60-80 more.

With more and more safety standards, weights will continue to grow.

All hail the 3500 lbs corvette.
Old 07-18-2008, 10:20 AM
Racer X
Le Mans Master

My target would be a 2500-2600 pound Corvette. Reduce the wheel size. This would improve mileage, acceleration, braking, and handling. At the same time it would reduce materials usage and lower the enviromental impact of disposal. A "green" Corvette if you will.
Old 07-18-2008, 01:25 PM
heavychevy
Safety Car

Received 179 Likes on 112 Posts

My target would be a 2500-2600 pound Corvette. Reduce the wheel size. This would improve mileage, acceleration, braking, and handling. At the same time it would reduce materials usage and lower the enviromental impact of disposal. A "green" Corvette if you will.

Not a chance. With ABS, TC, Power Everything, AC Radio, AIRBAGS.

Not going to happen with the size of the corvette. Even gutted race versions of street cars are hard pressed to get to 2200, so adding all the amenities will make that impossible.

Remember, the number of people who buy corvettes for Corvette cruise in's and trips to bowling green FAR FAR FAR FAR outnumber the people who buy them to track. So the amenities will take precidence. In fact, you can expect more gadgets like paddles and auto Z's with dual clutches that will add even more weight.

The days of the 2X00 lb full size sports car are gone. Only the compacts like the cayman, miata, lotus etc will get there now.

Get notified of new replies

To C7 engine

Old 07-18-2008, 08:39 PM
ZeeOSix
Le Mans Master

Received 159 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by GrampZ
The "confidential" was neither here nor there.

The "subject to protective order" means this posting to the web probably violates some judge's Order - and since it says "subject to Fed. Rule of Evidence 408" that judge would be a FEDERAL judge.
I highly doubt Delphi or GM would have released this information publicly. If that is the case, whoever is plastering it on the internet may be subject to some legal action if they catch wind of such action. I wouldn't be caught dead posting this info ... I've seen cases where heads have rolled and huge Federal fines and possible jail time result in releasing confidential or competition sensitive info without explicit authorization from the information owner.
Old 07-19-2008, 02:33 AM
Racer X
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by heavychevy
Not a chance. With ABS, TC, Power Everything, AC Radio, AIRBAGS.

Not going to happen with the size of the corvette. Even gutted race versions of street cars are hard pressed to get to 2200, so adding all the amenities will make that impossible.

Remember, the number of people who buy corvettes for Corvette cruise in's and trips to bowling green FAR FAR FAR FAR outnumber the people who buy them to track. So the amenities will take precidence. In fact, you can expect more gadgets like paddles and auto Z's with dual clutches that will add even more weight.

The days of the 2X00 lb full size sports car are gone. Only the compacts like the cayman, miata, lotus etc will get there now.
2900 would be easy. Standard Vette with aluminum frame, lightweight 17 inch wheels, Carbon brakes, Carbonfiber panels, Lightweight seats, Titanium exhaust, coated polycarbonate rear glass, this plus any other of the Z06 weight saving changes and I think you are there. Additionally, they could take a couple inches in width and 4-6" in length out and save more weight without compromising interior size much.

2600-2700 would be much harder and require more changes in size. Think Elise and working your way up in weight 600 pounds. That is a lot of weight. The much more powerful engine and transmission is likely to add only a couple hundred pounds, the LSX engine is fairly lightweight.

I think one could have a bigger difference in the levels of trim that might change the weight of the car 100+ pounds due to more luxurious seats and interiors.After having an Elise I can deal with less. A Elise is to a Corvete, as a Corvette is to Escalade in terms of driver space and luxury. Heck, I got use to having a seat that did have an adjustable seat back angle. Of course, I am old enough to remember when almost no car did

If taking all the steps above, and more, and some increased driveline efficiency (direct injection) improved the Vette's fuel economy 20% and thereby saved it, while at the same time improved it's performance in every performance category (acceleration, braking, handling), I am all for a little reduction in luxury, ask the guys with the C1-C3's if they could do it.
Old 07-20-2008, 11:58 AM
GrampZ
Pro

Originally Posted by ZeeOSix
I highly doubt Delphi or GM would have released this information publicly. If that is the case, whoever is plastering it on the internet may be subject to some legal action if they catch wind of such action.

Agreed. But neither Delphi or GM posted this.

These folks did: http://www.soldiersofsolidarity.com/

Quick Reply: C7 engine