Sponsored by:

Will the 2012 corvette be a downgrade?

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2008, 07:16 PM
GotCorvette?
Team Owner

Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Rule292
The 1953 intro model was "Polo white and powerglide only" with that 105 hp "Blue Flame" six.

We've come a long way baby!
Blue Flame six was 150 hp.
Old 09-12-2008, 07:20 PM
calmtgguy
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Kent1999

Whenever you see someone start to use that no-talent a$$clown Nostradamus as a reference, you *know* some seriously wacky stuff will follow!
Old 09-12-2008, 07:26 PM
mike100
Safety Car

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts

2800 lbs
5 liter high-tech everything V8
420-460 hp
22/32 mpg when your foot isn't in it.

I'd be down for that.
Old 09-12-2008, 07:29 PM
mksz51
Safety Car

Received 156 Likes on 95 Posts

The 1953 intro model was "Polo white and powerglide only" with that 105 hp "Blue Flame" six.

We've come a long way baby!
Yeah - and I'd take one today in a heartbeat.
Old 09-12-2008, 07:44 PM
User 2623
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by glennhl
If the 2012 Vette is a Sky/Soltice size car with a 300 hp engine, I'd buy it!
This is where they're going, a 70 style vette, same approach like the Camaro retro-forward styling. Only thing is that this current production run will be a long one most likely 2015 at the earliest. I'm telling ya ...
Old 09-12-2008, 07:51 PM
'06 Quicksilver Z06
Team Owner

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by redzone
Remember the Vettes of the 70's?? Not exactly powerhouses.....

To the OP, I'm not impressed with HP #'s.....I'm more concerned with power/weight ratio.
And overall performance.

Originally Posted by Snagle
This, like anything here on the C7, is a wild a** guess...

I suspect the C7 will feature a seriously upgraded electronics package. (The one in the C6 dates back to the early 90's.) I bet the interior will offer better materials, ergonomics and fit/finish. The power may be less than the current LS3, but I bet the performance envelope will be similar. The bottom line, an improved vehicle with similar performance. Who cares about raw numbers as long as the car performs?
Horsepower isn't everything. If they can build a C7 Z06 with 400 hp which will outperform my C6 Z06 making 505 hp, then I'd definitely have to take a look at one.

Last edited by '06 Quicksilver Z06; 09-12-2008 at 07:54 PM.
Old 09-12-2008, 08:18 PM
TANGLVR
Drifting

I heard from an absolutely reliable source inside GM that the next Corvette will have 150 little wheels under the hood with 150 little hamsters making the power. I can't wait!!! At least we will wean ourselves off foreign oil!!!! I just need a pallet of hamster food to keep it moving!!!
Old 09-12-2008, 08:32 PM
runutzzzzz
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 56 Likes on 30 Posts

You do know that EVERYTHING you read on the internet is true, right?
Old 09-12-2008, 08:40 PM
GCD1962
Race Director

Received 161 Likes on 122 Posts

Originally Posted by glennhl
If the 2012 Vette is a Sky/Soltice size car with a 300 hp engine, I'd buy it!
You're probably more on the mark than the other posts, but 300 hp might be on the high side. GM and the others are looking for a gov't handout. If they get it, developing or having high HP cars will catch the eye of some politicians who will go balistic because "GM is spending the taxpayers money to make High HP cars" Enjoy your C-6 now as it won't get any better from here on. In fact, even before the end of the C-6 run (if, GM even decides on a C-7) I would expect the HP to be begin dropping just for the above reasons I mentioned.
Old 09-12-2008, 09:06 PM
beachfrontvette
Safety Car

I would like to see something like the Tesla, maybe in a revamped edition of a Corvette Brand.

.. Info on this new electric sports car looks pretty impressive....

http://www.teslamotors.com/
Old 09-12-2008, 09:08 PM
Rule292
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16

Originally Posted by GCD1962
You're probably more on the mark than the other posts, but 300 hp might be on the high side. GM and the others are looking for a gov't handout. If they get it, developing or having high HP cars will catch the eye of some politicians who will go balistic because "GM is spending the taxpayers money to make High HP cars" Enjoy your C-6 now as it won't get any better from here on. In fact, even before the end of the C-6 run (if, GM even decides on a C-7) I would expect the HP to be begin dropping just for the above reasons I mentioned.
Hmmm I've been saying that for quite a while, and did in my "buy now or cry later" thread.

Unless the C7 is zero emissions and somehow powered by renewable energy expect it to raise the ire of quite a number of powerful politicos.

The cry will indeed be "we bailed them out and they are spending it on gas guzzlers not on getting us off of foreign oil". Those folks are expecting GM Priuses not Corvettes from the General.

Oh, and when I heard GM's sponsorship on NPR this morning, it of course went something like "GM - working to increase the fuel mileage of the world"...

Based upon conversations with an environmentalist friend who was a low-level political "insider", he suspects that ANY bailout of GM will DEFINITELY contain provisions to do away with gas guzzlers.

The Vette might be spared, but full size SUV's will likely not. Buy that SS TrailBlazer now if you want it.
Old 09-12-2008, 09:09 PM
tdogg21
Burning Brakes

Received 37 Likes on 20 Posts
2017 C3 of Year Finalist

the problem is, we're spoiled. these new c6s are just above and beyond what we thought 5-10 years ago. look at the hp numbers of the c5s and even the first Z06s. i wasn't alive then, but to me this looks like the same thing that happened in the 70s. engines got bigger and bigger until the gas crisis caused engines to get small. well now hps are going up and up until a gas crisis forces things to go down. all this means is the engineers will have to develop a car that handles better, is lighter, and still performs with less hp. this means that the c7s probably will be a little down (but maybe not pwoer to weight), but the c8s and c9s will be only better. let's be honest, forcing the engineers to build a lighter better handling car is not a bad thing.

also, since the corvette accounts for such a small portion on gm's sales, having a fleet average of 35 mpg won't affect the corvette much unless they do it just to 'look good' to the lawmakers.

but like everyone said, no one knows for sure. this is just my best guess.
Old 09-12-2008, 09:12 PM
tdogg21
Burning Brakes

Received 37 Likes on 20 Posts
2017 C3 of Year Finalist

Hmmm I've been saying that for quite a while, and did in my "buy now or cry later" thread.

Unless the C7 is zero emissions and somehow powered by renewable energy expect it to raise the ire of quite a number of powerful politicos.

The cry will indeed be "we bailed them out and they are spending it on gas guzzlers not on getting us off of foreign oil". Those folks are expecting GM Priuses not Corvettes from the General.

Oh, and when I heard GM's sponsorship on NPR this morning, it of course went something like "GM - working to increase the fuel mileage of the world"...

Based upon conversations with an environmentalist friend who was a low-level political "insider", he suspects that ANY bailout of GM will DEFINITELY contain provisions to do away with gas guzzlers.

The Vette might be spared, but full size SUV's will likely not. Buy that SS TrailBlazer now if you want it.
Corvettes aren't gas guzzlers and quite honestly, even the politicans (maybe not publicly) will like to have an American built product that can out perform the best the world has to offer at a cheaper price. they can't preach 'buy american!' if the best car you offer is a prius.
Old 09-12-2008, 09:21 PM
ShockwaveGT
Drifting

My source is the interwebs so ya...there ya go!

I don't think they've really decided much at this point. Probably still in the stages of design right now so it could be anything.
Old 09-12-2008, 09:23 PM
moolys
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '09

Originally Posted by Snagle
This, like anything here on the C7, is a wild a** guess...

I suspect the C7 will feature a seriously upgraded electronics package. (The one in the C6 dates back to the early 90's.) I bet the interior will offer better materials, ergonomics and fit/finish. The power may be less than the current LS3, but I bet the performance envelope will be similar. The bottom line, an improved vehicle with similar performance. Who cares about raw numbers as long as the car performs?
Old 09-12-2008, 09:23 PM
johnodrake

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,578 Likes on 1,619 Posts

Originally Posted by runutzzzzz
You do know that EVERYTHING you read on the internet is true, right?
Well, almost everything
Old 09-12-2008, 09:27 PM
Rule292
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16

Originally Posted by tdogg21
Corvettes aren't gas guzzlers and quite honestly, even the politicans (maybe not publicly) will like to have an American built product that can out perform the best the world has to offer at a cheaper price. they can't preach 'buy american!' if the best car you offer is a prius.

You know that and so do I. But remember you're dealing with folks in Congress that run the gamut from the likes of Jay Leno to Ralph Naderites. There are a powerful number of folks that simply hate the American "icon" of big gas guzzling V8's.

The C6 is real close to not meeting the current CAFE standards, let alone those in the future. Regardless of what the DIC says and the highway mileage is, it's still is only rated at 16 city. And remember, much policy is not made by elected officials, but by policy wonks in agencies such as the EPA.

As quick as incandescent light bulbs were "legislated" out of existence so could many cars including the Vette.

Get notified of new replies

To Will the 2012 corvette be a downgrade?

Old 09-12-2008, 09:29 PM
Mark Ducati
Pro

The C6 the last poweful Corvette?

I hope so!

I dont want to trade it in for the C7!!!!
Old 09-12-2008, 09:42 PM
FortMorganAl
Le Mans Master

Location: Currently somewhere in IL,IN,KY,TN,MO,AR,MS,AL, or FL
Received 228 Likes on 187 Posts

The current CAFE standard allows 27.5mpg with any vehicle over 8,500 pounds not counted in the average. The new standard will be 35mpg with everything under 10,000 pounds counted. It is naive to assume that GM will make this average by just making tiny cars no one wants and leave the Corvette alone. The only way to achieve these averages is to make SUVs and pickups much bigger so they weigh over 10K and aren't counted. Then ALL other vehicles will have to make proportional changes. A quick back of the envelope says the Corvette's share will come to about 40mpg. The only way to get there is much smaller and with a 4 cylinder engine.

Anyone who thinks technology will solve this problem doesn't remember what the EPA did to the Corvette in the 70s. Power peaked in 1971 at 425 HP and just 4 years later the best you could get was an L82 with 205 HP. The federal government doesn't care about the Corvettes iconic image and technology can't perform miracles. The LS3/LS7/LS9 will be the last great Corvette engines for a very long time.
Old 09-12-2008, 10:07 PM
OregonC6
Le Mans Master

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by torquetube
Well, except for that 20-year period starting in the early 1970s.

Nobody knows what GM will do with the next-gen Corvette.

If money is tight, it seems like GM could do a cosmetic makeover of the C6 and keep the basic chassis in production for quite a while.
Yes, IF a person is old enough to remember that period he/she knows that the corvette became a thin shadow of what it had been in the mid to late 60s.

But technology was less able to produce hp without lots of gas then...might be different this time around

Quick Reply: Will the 2012 corvette be a downgrade?