C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C7 Should Go Back to Popup Headlamps - Why? LIDAR!

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2009, 01:53 PM
cyberslick18
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

To all the people who say they aren't aero dynamic...

Why are you tearing *** around in un-lit areas anyway? Anywhere you are going full throttle legally will have lights... maybe some backass strips don't.
Old 05-29-2009, 03:57 PM
Dominic Toretto
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

There are two other cars your car can look like when approaching. An RX7 or a Miata.

-Alex
Old 05-30-2009, 08:24 PM
FASGLAS
Race Director

CI 4-5-6-7-8-9-10-11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09

Old 05-30-2009, 11:49 PM
Roy
Instructor

Say NO to pop ups.

Sure the car looks great with them down, but when they are up they look like crap. Plus anyone who has lived with a pop up headlight car for any length of time knows all the headaches they can be.

Roy
Old 06-01-2009, 09:39 AM
Dominic Toretto
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Roy
Say NO to pop ups.

Sure the car looks great with them down, but when they are up they look like crap. Plus anyone who has lived with a pop up headlight car for any length of time knows all the headaches they can be.

Roy
Um, what headaches? Haven't had any with my car.

-Alex
Old 06-07-2009, 07:14 PM
jimcork1
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You guys have the right idea just wrong concept.

1) they should be hidden
2) they should not be popups

They should be rollovers that have the axes running front to rear and be symmetrical. This way they could roll over 180 degrees and maintain the same aerodynamics and not be pop ups. They would be painted on the reverse and lights on the other side.

So lets forget popups and go rollovers.

I bought my C5 new and now at 80,000 miles I am considering a replacement and I just can't get into the C6 lights.
Old 06-09-2009, 04:14 PM
Guro305
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I think shorter pop-ups would be ok. I think the problem with the pop ups that GM has used for years just pop up way too high.

With lights as powerful as they are today, there is no need to have them pop up so high. Even if you look at the conversion kit for the C5, they are not flat or flush like the lights on the C6. They have a slight hump to them. The problem really lies with the limited space on the 'vette. I have a T/A and have thought of getting rid of the pop ups as well because if you think they look terrible on the C5, then you need to go back and look at how bad they looked on the thirdgen Firebirds and T/As.

The difference is that you had a little room to work on with the T/A.

http://www.thirdgen.org/techboard/fa...p-up-head.html

If we had just this much room with the C5, something very similar could be done with very little effort and money.
Old 06-19-2009, 10:54 AM
metalmechanic
Cruising

i like the hidden factor of the pop up design, i have a t/a and not a camaro
Old 06-21-2009, 06:25 PM
dachevy
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by ZfidyONE-84
i say bring back the popups, its beed a corvette thing since 1963
Exactly, as I see on this thread, some like the popup lights also. All about personal choice.
Old 06-21-2009, 11:54 PM
metalmechanic
Cruising

Yes, ill agree they look like crap when there up, but its dark out then and its not about how you look then, its only about seeing
Old 07-02-2009, 12:20 PM
SeanME
Intermediate

I love the popups! thats the only reason I got a c5 over a c6. Bring them back!
Old 07-02-2009, 01:31 PM
metalmechanic
Cruising

Originally Posted by tdogg21
pop up headlights are gone forever. it's not federal law that made them change, it was european pedistrean law. i don't like the look, but can live with it. i think it looks too much like a european super car. and that's not what i want. if i want one of those, i'll buy one. i want a Corvette. and i want it to look like a Corvette. but pop-ups are gone, and i'll still live and i'll still buy corvettes. i'll just tell my kids and grandkids some day about how Corvettes use to look.
Old 07-03-2009, 10:07 AM
robvuk
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

With LED lighting technologies, there is really no reason for headlights to be so obvious on the front of the car. With or without popups. It's just a matter of time before the designers get up to speed on the new models and design it in.
Old 07-03-2009, 09:42 PM
metalmechanic
Cruising

Old 07-05-2009, 10:02 PM
RedOnRed1995
Racer

Originally Posted by SeanME
I love the popups! thats the only reason I got a c5 over a c6. Bring them back!
Exactly. I love Corvettes and money was not an object to me while purchasing, but I just couldn't get over the fixed headlights on the C6. I ended up deciding to just get a C5-Z06 as the C6Z, and mod it up to equal horsepower, and i couldn't be happier with my decision. 90% of my driving is done with the headlights down and I'm don't constantly do top speed runs, so I don't really care about the reduced aerodynamics and (subjective) reduced looks with the pop-ups up.

As unlikely as it is to happen, it would be a real treat if a car manufacturer would bring back the pop-ups.

Last edited by RedOnRed1995; 07-05-2009 at 10:04 PM.
Old 07-07-2009, 01:27 AM
bob3868
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't get it that so many people don't like the pop up's. To me they make the car very low and very slick looking. When I first saw the new style headlights it made the front in look like other cars. Doesn't have the drop down low look. Kind of flat across the front. Anyway, just my opinion... Oh, your right about at night with them up, not the greatest.
Old 07-07-2009, 12:13 PM
iudoc97
Advanced

Why are we talking about laser jammers....Any cop worth anything would know 100 MPH when he sees it....don't need no stinkin' laser!

Oh and I can live without pop up lights. Nothing says non-cool as seeing a vette driving around with pop-ups stuck in the up position. C6 lights are definitely the way to go from here out.

Last edited by iudoc97; 07-07-2009 at 12:15 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To C7 Should Go Back to Popup Headlamps - Why? LIDAR!

Old 07-13-2009, 06:13 PM
h8trafk
Navigator

please bring back the pop up/flip up headlights, the new lights on the car take away from the rest of the car, GM could have done a lot better with the styling of the lights, put the dlr's down low to to give the car a wider more aggressive look(think c5) or make it easier to turn them off instead of with a computer scanner,and make the lights look a lot better.(aggresive) With the DLR's up hi it draws the eye away from the lines of the car, also in my opinon some cars look better in certain colors than others.because of the paint color under the lens.Plus corvette had pop up/flip up for so long it was a trademark and the last production car in the world with them, Looked exotic ,set them apart from every one else, now every car has exposed headlights. Air brakes I think not, for the every day corvette person, there not slowing you down that much, on the track in maybe the rolex series or similar, maybe, but then get a kit to replace them, most states the speed limit is 75 max. I think given a few more years alot of guys are going to start to dislike these exposed headlights when the lens start to yellow and fog over,then these people will cry how much it cost to replace them. there are other technogies, like liquid crystal to tint the lens during the day and go clear at night,maybe some day in the color of the car, then it would appear to have flip/pop up but they would be body colored,so no need to take off your blackout kit at night:
Old 07-13-2009, 07:11 PM
Trpblk04
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree!
Old 07-14-2009, 02:57 PM
Ron Dittmer
Drifting

Received 138 Likes on 77 Posts

I did not read through everone's replies but.......

HOW ABOUT THE BEST OF BOTH WORLDS?

You can now purchase windows for your home with electronic shading. The flip of an electric switch, makes the windows dark to significantly reduce sun penetration into a house.

The same technology could be applied to the outer lens of a C6 Corvette. When the motor is running, the lens go dark, or better yet, change to the color of the paint. Turn on the head lights, and they change to clear.

That would be most impressive.

One more bit of advise to Chevy.

How about a feature to change the back-lit gauges to whatever color you choose? There are a few other vehicles that offer the full color spectrum. You could change the dash lighting to mix or match with your exterior paint. How cool would that be?

Quick Reply: C7 Should Go Back to Popup Headlamps - Why? LIDAR!