C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Styling aside, what would you like to see in the C7?

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2009, 08:32 AM
I Go To Costco
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Realistically, everything that would be better either adds weight or cost, or both. It would be nice to have a dual-clutch transmission as an option but I'd hate to see it replace a manual outright. I figure it might add $1,000-$3,000 more on the price of a Corvette compared to the current 6-speed auto, which isn't too bad.

Lets not forget that the Corvette is one of the best bargains out there for what I like to call entry-level world-class performance cars. Not to mention they're usually not overly complex or flashy.
  • Pop-up headlights. I still prefer the sleek front end of the C5, in addition to the integrated sidemarkers, though it is subjective.
  • Higher-quality interior.
  • At least an option for better seats. The Recaro seats that come standard in my friend's $35,000 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution X are great in terms of comfort and you feel like you're locked in. Long-term comfort I haven't tested yet, but hey, it's an option.
  • A better audio system. I've yet to hear a truly good sounding Bose system in a car.
  • T-tops! If there's anything retro for the C7 that I want to see aside from pop-up headlights, its t-tops. It offers increased structural rigidity, though storage may not be as easy or fast. My 8-year old Camaro's t-tops don't rattle, even if it seems like a bunch of other things do

I second things like making the car lighter (though with today's ever-increasing safety requirements I'd be glad if it weighed the same), improving underbody aerodynamics, direct-injection, and possibly variable valve timing. I can imagine it now.... people with C7's which have GM's new Lxx direct-injected, continuously variable valve timing engine reporting upwards of 40 mpg on the highway.

All wheel drive? Blasphemy.
Old 07-30-2009, 10:45 AM
Humy
Race Director

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Aerovette
Very cool. A touch screen with Performance tune, or econmy tune adjustments and a "reset all defaults" to allow you to start all over again. Limit teh paramters so you don't have mechanical catastrophes by pushing an incorrect timing curve etc.
that would be ubber cool
sadly, that is a far far away dream
Old 07-31-2009, 06:12 AM
copternadle
6th Gear

I ordered the same borla exhaust too, and love the way it sounds it also looks very nice. I have people asking me all the time what kind of exhaust it is because it sounds so good. I got mine from borla parts here, borla 11759 and was pleased with the price a delivery time. You should also check craigslist sometimes you can find a used set.
Old 07-31-2009, 05:40 PM
QUAKEJAKE
Le Mans Master

Received 80 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by cartop2
Please don't scream at me. Just a little out of the box here. How about an electric motor with enough power to outrun the C6 Z06 and a range more than 600 miles on one charge (sound s impossible). Maybe put a fuel cell in it so all you need is a little hydrogen and off you go again.

I would miss the fun of working on the gas engines and the sound of the exhaust.
Not to make fun but there are people out there designing external sound systems for electric vehicles,I read tesla is looking into it because two techs on their test track almost got run over,vehicles to qiuet,So you could dial in your custom sound.
Old 08-09-2009, 09:44 AM
JD'sAtomicOrange
Advanced

Much needed:

1. Better/wider seats.

2. Narrower tranny tunnel to allow for wider seats with better bolsters.

3. AWD to compete with the GTR.

4. Launch control.

5. A tall redhead in the passenger seat! Retract that, my wife is now reading this.....

JD
Old 08-09-2009, 09:44 PM
Cranegod1
Heel & Toe

Please God, no V6!
Old 08-10-2009, 07:44 AM
Callsign_Jester
Instructor

1. Improved Seats (lateral support)
2. Dual Clutch Transmission (with LC)
Old 08-11-2009, 10:14 AM
leatherneck21
Racer

The interior will def have to be different, right now you can't even put two drinks side by side in the cup holder!! (unless its' like a can of pepsi or something)
Old 08-11-2009, 12:23 PM
Tom400CFI
Team Owner
Pro Mechanic

Received 3,181 Likes on 2,322 Posts

Originally Posted by JD'sAtomicOrange
Much needed:

1. Better/wider seats.

2. Narrower tranny tunnel to allow for wider seats with better bolsters.
Huh. I'd want better/NARROWER seats. C4 seats up to '92 are where it's at for stock Corvette seats. Everything after that is made for...the "average American" of today.
Old 08-12-2009, 09:42 AM
VRedZ06
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10

Originally Posted by Tom400CFI
Huh. I'd want better/NARROWER seats. C4 seats up to '92 are where it's at for stock Corvette seats. Everything after that is made for...the "average American" of today.

They really need to have a optional interior package. I have been lucky enough to have the new Daytona Caravaggio seats that fit a wider guy. They are very good and track worthy. The other seats he has are WAY TOO tight for the Average 38-40 waist.

There should be a 4 option package normal, track thin track wide, and Complete Leather package where the interior is all leather just like the cars in the same high performance class that come from Italy and Germany. Corvette should have the option to have as good or better of an interior as Ferrari or Lamborghini.

Last edited by VRedZ06; 08-12-2009 at 09:52 AM. Reason: Spelling
Old 08-12-2009, 03:08 PM
Tom400CFI
Team Owner
Pro Mechanic

Received 3,181 Likes on 2,322 Posts

Originally Posted by VRedZ06
There should be a 4 option package normal, track thin track wide, and Complete Leather package where the interior is all leather just like the cars in the same high performance class that come from Italy and Germany. Corvette should have the option to have as good or better of an interior as Ferrari or Lamborghini.
That I agree with whole heartedly. I don't understand why they can't offer the same multi-teered interior package for those who don't care, and then offer Ala'cardt items -even if at "retail prices" installed in the car during assembly; seats (like described above), stereo packages, shifter, "comp" suspension bushings and shocks, etc. There are items that I DEFINITELY would have chosen (and rolled into my car payment) had they been available, even if at the same cost as retail, b/c I save on labor, and the challenge of paying outright for the item later.

The way it is now, you have no choices. You get: rubbery shifter, dorky clutch, flimsy seats, squishy suspension (even the Z51 that I optioned), crappy stereo...but you're still PAYING for all that junk.

It seems that GM would still make the same profit on all the masses of 'Vettes bought by...."the masses", equiped w/standerd option "Packages", but w/thier buying power, they could make a killing, "special optioning" ordered cars by selling those items at retail prices...already installed.
Old 08-12-2009, 03:48 PM
spender1326
Heel & Toe

1. Dual Clutch - Come on, by 2013 everyone will have a DCT of some sort. Please do not introduce the GM flagship without one. And use a transaxle please. Not this Frankstien monster of a regular transmission mounted in the back with a diff right behind it. Use a Porsche style DCT transaxle which could be mounted further back to better improve the F/R weight distribution.
2. Direct Injection Engine LS engine - with 10-20% better fuel efficiency and about 450-480 hp on the base model, 550-600 on a Z06. Maintain the 6.2 displacement. Eliminate power robbing conventional power steering; goto an electronic PS unit, which I’m sure you are developing for the Volt. Use the BMW M3 like Intelligent Alternator Control where it recharge the battery only on braking or engine overrun, so that no engine power is wasted on acceleration.
3. Curb weight of around 3000 lbs - Use an AL chassis like the Z06. Carbon Fiber is still too expensive but how about reduction of unsprung weight with some lighter wheels, lighter suspension components, brakes. Implement the Single Wire Can Network for Vehicle Applications standard to reduce wiring and weight.
4. Downforce - the C6 still creates lift, the Z06 is better and the ZR1 produces some downforce. The new standard for sports cars will be all about downforce. Move the exhaust more to the center of the rear and create two huge channels for the rear defuser. Use an floor panel with channels to direct air to the rear diffuser; make the channels boundaries out of poly, so any scraps will be absorbed.
5. Competition Tuned Traction Control - like what the Scuderia 430 is to the regular run of the mill F430. Have one of your factory sponsored racers help tune a handling package for corner exit where the driver just plants his foot to the floor and the computer adjusts power input to power out of the corner without wheel spin, kind of like pre 2008 Formula 1 That should pick up more than a few seconds at the ring.
6. Better interior - I know this is a lot to ask but please something worthy of a $50k car. I’m not asking for much, just something in league with the base $30k'ish Mercedes or Bmw.
Old 08-12-2009, 11:34 PM
Jinx
Le Mans Master

Received 398 Likes on 207 Posts

Default I like the C6.

I don't want anything radically different -- just some refinements.

- fully-powered tilt/telescope steering wheel
- fully-powered seat -- no more manual seatback adjustment
- seat with better lateral support
- higher-res HUD (sharper, easier to read)
- DIC fuel economy expressed as gal/100mi (l/100km) in addition to MPG
- HUD treated as a performance option (i.e. not exclusively bundled with the "luxury" package)
- non-proprietary audio system

As for "fully-powered adds weight/cost" -- not much, and it's worth it. Continuous adjustment (no steps), full memory recall, and the ability to tweak position while driving are important. Besides, the C6 seatback adjustment feels cheap and flimsy and works poorly.

What I DON'T want is just as important:

- taller
- narrower
- less cargo space
- less presence
- fixed roof
- trunk instead of hatch
- styling that equates higher performance with afterthought vents & bulges (e.g. GrandSport vs Z51; C6 Z06 vs C4 ZR-1)
- more road noise
- less safe
- less performance in any category than C6

Quick Reply: Styling aside, what would you like to see in the C7?