Sponsored by:

Government to influence C7 design?

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2010, 06:12 PM
PnC KING
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by andrewdonald1
Actually the government stepped in this time to avoid the same mistakes they made in 1929.
In the 1929 event, government did nothing at the critical events post original 1929 crash. The only reason we escaped the original great depression was WW II.
Thank our lucky stars they jumped in this time or we would be in the same position as the great depression.

That being said, I don't believe they want to steal our precious C7 design.

But being a general stakeholder for the general public, I would think they do have a say in the direction of the company right now.

There seems to be a lot of people on the board for GM that knows nothing about the automobile industry.

With that point said, I do believe that anything is possible right now however very unlikely.

We are in uncharted waters right now. With inexperienced executive leadership (with respect to the automobile industry) at the board level something out of left field would not surprise me.

Andy
if anything you may see a HP based C7 and a fule friendly based C7. possibly a larger price tag for the powerful C7 to help cut down/screw buyers. Just a thought!

But like Andy said our government now owns GM if they say no high HP Vette well...no high HP Vette, and we all know the government is not concerned about the C7 and its buyers. they are concerned about our planet...no scratch that, i mean taking over the planet
Old 01-29-2010, 02:13 PM
madmax13
Instructor

Actually the government stepped in this time to avoid the same mistakes they made in 1929.
In the 1929 event, government did nothing at the critical events post original 1929 crash. The only reason we escaped the original great depression was WW II.
Thank our lucky stars they jumped in this time or we would be in the same position as the great depression.

That being said, I don't believe they want to steal our precious C7 design.

But being a general stakeholder for the general public, I would think they do have a say in the direction of the company right now.

There seems to be a lot of people on the board for GM that knows nothing about the automobile industry.

With that point said, I do believe that anything is possible right now however very unlikely.

We are in uncharted waters right now. With inexperienced executive leadership (with respect to the automobile industry) at the board level something out of left field would not surprise me.

Andy
I agree 100% with you. I was thinking you were one of the nutters out there that thinks Obama is Nigerian & trying to steal the food off their tables.

If anything, the Corvette is GM's flagship model, and is excellent PR & sales for them. They haven't screwed a 'vette up yet, and won't.

Max
Old 01-29-2010, 03:49 PM
z edge
Race Director

Location: BOOMER SOONER Big 12 Champions 2000, 2002, 2004, 2006 - 2008, 2010, 2012, 2015 - 2020.....
Received 914 Likes on 527 Posts

just what GM needs, advice from Toyota on how to screw up a perfectly good car. Oh yeah, a bench seat would be nice too, and 0-60 in 9.5 seconds? I think keeping the Corvette in tact is much more important than saving the planet...
Old 02-04-2010, 11:46 AM
89Corvette6spdFX3
Safety Car

So last week I was flying buisness class preparing a power point presentation of my hopes for the C7 to present to my local Corvette club. This nosey pin head next to me buts in and starts asking questions about what I'm doing. So I fed him the biggest line of crap I've ever done telling him how I'm an automotive expert hired by the government! I made up a bunch of crap like putting a bench seat in the car and using electric motors from the Prius.

The best part is, he believed me!

Last edited by 89Corvette6spdFX3; 02-04-2010 at 11:51 AM.
Old 02-04-2010, 12:21 PM
andrewdonald1
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I used to hate history and found it boring during grade school years.

Now at the ripe age of 40, I find it fascinating.

Current politics aside: the government was prudent and did step in appropriately this time around. In 1929 they hoped the market would correct itself, they were wrong. Even the large federally funded projects to put Americans back to work (ie Hoover Dam), was not enough to bring us out of the Great Depression, only WWII did that.

History tends to repeat itself, the question is: are we smart enough to be aware of past events and learn from our mistakes, and wise enough to proactively avoid the same potential historical events? It appears someone in government is, and has access to the power players.

Otherwise it could have been much much nastier this time around.
Old 02-04-2010, 06:53 PM
2006c6keller
Safety Car

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Default Learned anything?

I used to hate history and found it boring during grade school years.

Now at the ripe age of 40, I find it fascinating.

Current politics aside: the government was prudent and did step in appropriately this time around. In 1929 they hoped the market would correct itself, they were wrong. Even the large federally funded projects to put Americans back to work (ie Hoover Dam), was not enough to bring us out of the Great Depression, only WWII did that.

History tends to repeat itself, the question is: are we smart enough to be aware of past events and learn from our mistakes, and wise enough to proactively avoid the same potential historical events? It appears someone in government is, and has access to the power players.

Otherwise it could have been much much nastier this time around.
They, government, sure didn't learn anything from Enron, things just got worse and the CEO's just went on their merry way with short term bonus plans and then just bailed out of the companies and left the stockholders, suppliers, unions, etc. holding the bag - NOTHING!
Old 02-04-2010, 09:26 PM
leadfoot88
Racer

Originally Posted by 89Corvette6spdFX3
So last week I was flying buisness class preparing a power point presentation of my hopes for the C7 to present to my local Corvette club. This nosey pin head next to me buts in and starts asking questions about what I'm doing. So I fed him the biggest line of crap I've ever done telling him how I'm an automotive expert hired by the government! I made up a bunch of crap like putting a bench seat in the car and using electric motors from the Prius.

The best part is, he believed me!
Ha ha. Thats the first thing that went through my mind!
Old 02-04-2010, 11:48 PM
89Corvette6spdFX3
Safety Car

Originally Posted by leadfoot88
Ha ha. Thats the first thing that went through my mind!
See you over in CFOT!

Quick Reply: Government to influence C7 design?