Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default C7 engine?

is there any update? i hope not like current quite LS
Old 01-08-2010, 09:31 AM
Racer X
Le Mans Master

Received 4,373 Likes on 2,065 Posts

Do you mean quiet? Mostly that is due to corporate noise standards.

What is wrong with the LS? Is it not powerful enough? Is it not light enough? Is the fuel efficiency not high enough? The LS3 compares pretty favorably in all reguards. I would expect the next change to be direct injection, as it will increase both power and fuel economy. I would expect a 5-15% increase in both, unless they decrease the diplacement.
Old 01-08-2010, 10:21 AM
mustclime
Drifting

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

I would love to see something without pushrods....*runs out of the thread before he is E-stoned to death*
Old 01-08-2010, 10:52 AM
99FRC Newb
Drifting

Received 118 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by mustclime
I would love to see something without pushrods....*runs out of the thread before he is E-stoned to death*
+1
Old 01-08-2010, 10:56 AM
Process Black
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Unlike the 6.0/7.0, which is a ground-up race engine that only shares basic architectural dimensions with the production small block, the 2010 C6.R's V8 is a new 5.5-liter unit that will indeed be derived from the production engine found in roadgoing Corvettes. In fact, the 5.5-liter race engine will be built at GM's Performance Build Center alongside ZR1 and Z06 V8s.

Fehan has confirmed that the 5.5 is running on the dyno and will make its race debut at the 12 Hours of Sebring in March. We don't have any additional details on the new engine yet, although we were told earlier that it is based on the next-generation production small-block, which we expect to see in the Corvette soon.
http://www.autoblog.com/2010/01/02/c...8-for-sebring/
Old 01-08-2010, 04:41 PM
Steege
Advanced

Ok, the young, lurking noob is going to make his prediction. lol

5.5 liter, direct injection. Still 400+ hp

It's a win/win. GM gets to make a smaller, more fuel efficient engine, while at the same time maintaining the current power outputs of the LS2/3.

So that renders moot the old theories of GM creating a smaller, lighter, Solstice-sized C7 with a weaker engine. Screw that weight ricer logic. :P

Before anyone says, "Why not just add D/I to the 6.2? ZOMG! EVEN MOAR POWER!!!" I honestly think a lot of people, and probably GM management, feel that the base Vette already has enough horsepower. I mean c'mon, 400+. Why make it even more unnecessarily fast when they can simply maintain all the awesome performance you already have while reaping much better fuel economy. It's a no-brainer, imo.

Old 01-08-2010, 08:45 PM
vette.mix
Le Mans Master

Old 01-09-2010, 06:21 AM
mvcrash
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Steege

It's a win/win. GM gets to make a smaller, more fuel efficient engine, while at the same time maintaining the current power outputs of the LS2/3.

So that renders moot the old theories of GM creating a smaller, lighter, Solstice-sized C7 with a weaker engine. Screw that weight ricer logic. :P

Before anyone says, "Why not just add D/I to the 6.2? ZOMG! EVEN MOAR POWER!!!" I honestly think a lot of people, and probably GM management, feel that the base Vette already has enough horsepower. I mean c'mon, 400+. Why make it even more unnecessarily fast when they can simply maintain all the awesome performance you already have while reaping much better fuel economy. It's a no-brainer, imo.

I agree with the direct injection. More HP, better fuel efficiency, seems like a win win way to go.
Old 01-09-2010, 11:08 AM
JerriVette
Race Director

Received 3,946 Likes on 2,176 Posts

No way GM will roll out a new c7 corvette without bumping the power up over the impressive ls3.

Since my 3.6 DI V6 in my 08 CTS has 50 ponies more than the 3.6 that was available without DI..

I'm guessing well see at least 30 to 40 more hp in the C7 V8 compared to the LS3.

GM will probably not change over the V8 in the camaro SS in the same year as they release the C7 corvette...so with that said...GM will also not allow the camaro to produce the same amount of hp that the corvette makes...

hence more power than the LS3's 436hp for the new C7 corvette..

Lowest hp for the lighter C7? 450hp...more probably 475 hp.. and the car will be 150 lbs lighter than the C6 through using higher strength hydroformed steel frame rails..

There is also a new development in the thickness of the hydroformed steel frame rails as they met up with other chassis structural points...giving greater rigidity and lighter weight..

With Ed Wellburn designing the C7 you can bet it will be stunning as well. His people are doing a great job with all their new designs. I expect nothing less with the C7.

JMO
Old 01-22-2010, 11:19 PM
Indy
Melting Slicks

Even the LS3 engines have great fuel economy...make the Vette lighter with Carbon Fibre and Aluminum (which is becoming a lot cheaper to mass produce) and do some engine tweaking and all will be fine...I don't want to see smaller V6 engines with turbos in Vettes....that's taking the spirit out of the car. It needs a big V8....that is part of it's appeal...otherwise it will just be another Z car or Hyundai Coupe...I certainly would not buy a V6 Vette....maybe a V8 Turbo ....but the engine needs to remain a V8.
Old 01-23-2010, 11:12 AM
I Bin Therbefor
Drifting

Default You bet

"There is also a new development in the thickness of the hydroformed steel frame rails as they met up with other chassis structural points...giving greater rigidity and lighter weight.."

Take that one to the bank
Old 01-23-2010, 04:51 PM
Blu Angel
Pro

All this talk about the upcoming C7 motorplant is getting me excited!!

Originally Posted by Steege

Originally Posted by I Bin Therbefor
"There is also a new development in the thickness of the hydroformed steel frame rails as they met up with other chassis structural points...giving greater rigidity and lighter weight.."

Take that one to the bank
I think the Corvette community will be pleasantly surprised with the new C7.

Last edited by Blu Angel; 01-23-2010 at 04:56 PM.
Old 01-24-2010, 09:34 AM
JDMUSCLE
Drifting

Received 105 Likes on 64 Posts

Most consider C6 as a C5.5 since the underpinings of the cars being the same with changes to suspension, brakes and stiffness. The question here is.. Is the C7 an all new vette? Or yet another enhanced version of the C6's chassis and new skin??

There were leaps n bounds in advancement from C4 to C5... And the cars looked very distinctively different yet evolutionary.. I hope to see this change for the next generation!!
Old 01-24-2010, 06:28 PM
jimb77
Pro

Originally Posted by Blu Angel
I think the Corvette community will be pleasantly surprised with the new C7.
What new C7?
Old 01-25-2010, 01:14 AM
ronssito
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by jimb77
What new C7?
Old 01-28-2010, 05:22 AM
herrin
3rd Gear

Depends on what it's on. The company that builds the chassis the engine is used in usually supplies the filter and it may not be the same from one brand chassis to another.
===============
Ceramic Metal Halide
outdoor trash receptacles
Old 01-28-2010, 05:59 AM
g9m3c
Instructor

As most, I definitely expect to see DI. Possibly even VVT. As for the change to smaller displacement, so what? The C6 didn't use hidden headlamps (arguably a core spec in Corvette lore) and those seem to have grown on everyone. I haven't heard much opposition to those in quite some time now. Granted, I would like to see the new technology integrated into an engine with similar displacement to the current offerings, but I will not be disappointed in a 5.5L. GM has consistently increased power in the Vette for a LONG time now, and I don't expect that to change.

My prediction is similar to some of yours. A 5.5L V8 with DI and VVT with around 450hp (come on, the Mustang will have 412 by then ) for the base model. The weight will probably stay in the same ballpark, although the more prevalent use of lighter materials should allow plenty of room for refinements in the feel of the car. I think one of those refinements will be in interior quality/appearance. GM has taken way too much crap about that over the last few body styles and I feel it's time to shut the critics up.

Some people would argue the Z06 is on its way out, but I think the ZR1 is in more danger. I do not expect to see a C7 ZR1. The Z06 should have power outputs comparable to the LSA with the new technology integrated. What will be interesting to see is whether GM will start with a clean slate for the C7 engine or not. With the Z28 and already-announced LSA package due out in 2011 and the C7 scheduled for 2013, who knows. Perhaps they will introduce genV engine architecture in the Vette before it is put into use elsewhere, not unlike the LT1 and LS1. I would think we would see a more extended period of time with this transition, though.

Get notified of new replies

To C7 engine?

Old 02-27-2010, 08:35 AM
I Bin Therbefor
Drifting

Default 5.5 liter V-8 details

"We'll be racing two factory-backed C6.Rs powered by a reduced displacement version of Chevrolet's latest LS7 V-8. The block comes right off the assembly line, but we've destroked and sleeved it from 7.0 liters to 5.5 lliters. . ."

Doug Fehan in April's Road and Track.
Old 02-27-2010, 02:58 PM
samurai
Advanced

Is the C7 still slated to be a 2013 model beginning production in April 2012?
Old 03-13-2010, 09:24 AM
87stocker
Racer

Originally Posted by mustclime
Pushrods have been winning GM titles for years. Why would you replace that. Cheeper to build and staying away from what everyone else is doing. There is no down side to push rods so why replace it.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: C7 engine?