Sting Ray

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2011, 08:55 AM
I Bin Therbefor
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Sting Ray

A few comments.

The original Sting Ray sketch which set the direction of styling direction was done by Peter Brock at GM styling department under Bill Mitchell's direction. Apparently Mitchell returned from a European trip with pictures of European cars that had the same styling theme. For example the Alph Disco Volante. Peter Brock is the same guy who did the Cobra Daytona Coupe after he left GM! Peter's original sketches show an slight S shape to the side view that was intended to control aero lift in the rear of the car. This same solution was used by Frank Costin. Mitchell was all stylist and no aero man, he liked the drop tail design which ended up causing a lot of rear end lift on those cars. Peter had access to the GM library where he discovered papers from the 30s, primarily German, which cautioned about aero lift on the rear of a car. Mitchell was not impressed. So Mitchell's Sting Ray race car and the street car came out different than had they followed Peter's wishes. Even if the new C7 is to follow the heritage of the Sting Ray, it will go through wind tunnel tuning which will have an impact on the design.

Second, having gone back and listened to the intro by the head of GM styling of the "styling exercise" car that is on the show circuit, you hear the styling themes that impressed him. I believe those themes will carry over into the C7.

Third, I would love for Peter Brock to do a styling sketch of an update Sting Ray from his point of view!

Quick Reply: Sting Ray