Sponsored by:

C7, best data as of June 2011

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2011, 02:33 PM
ZL-1
Safety Car

Received 184 Likes on 122 Posts

Originally Posted by zimmab01
I could see GM going with the smaller CID with direct injection (with the base model) to improve MPG and possibly sales. I would be heartbroken to see the Z06 transform into an LSA clone ... I don't think they are going to do that simply because it would probably kill the sales of the ZR-1...
Although the C7 is predicted to be a shorter run, Corvette generations traditionally extend many years. All models don't come out at first, they are introduced gradually to maintain sales momentum. The C5 coupe came in 1997, the vert in 1998, the hardtop in 1999, and Z06 in 2001. The C6 came in 2005, Z06 in 2006, ZR1 in 2009, GS in 2010.

We'll see the C7 coupe as a 2014 model with the DI 5.5 V8. Maybe the vert will be ready at s.o.p. too. As far as the C7 Z06 goes, no need to introduce it immediately, they'll have to focus on QC and production of the base cars which will be in big demand at first.

Sadly, the ZR1 and the 427 LS7 will die with the C6. By 2014 with our ever-increasing regulations they'll be unacceptable. It was wonderful that both were built, but they did compete with each other for sales. The C7 Z06 will combine the best of both and hopefully top their performance. It does seem wrong to add a supercharger to a track car like the Z06. But by then GM will have had over 5 years experience
supercharging LS engines and optimized efficiency and heat issues. Maybe it will be a decent track car.

A Z06 that's heavier than a base coupe doesn't sound right but maybe we can accept it if it's lighter than any previous Z06.

The 5.5 liter V8s will be at the introduction of the C7. Who knows what models and engines and technology will come later...
Old 06-24-2011, 08:14 PM
Runge_Kutta
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ZL-1
Every time a new generation of Corvette is coming it's fun to speculate about all the wild possibilities. But after much research and separating educated guesses from insider knowledge, here is the most reliable prediction:

- Currently it looks like production will start in June 2013
as a 2014 model.

- C7 engine is a direct injection 5.5 liter V8 with cylinder
shut-off, goal is 440 hp, 20 mpg city, 35 mpg highway.

- Z06 will have the 5.5 liter with an Eaton supercharger, the
smaller 1900 as used on CTS-V and ZL1, not the 2300 ZR1
unit. (No plans for a ZR1 model at this time).

- All models will get an aluminum frame built in-house at
Bowling Green (up until now Z06/ZR1 frames have been
built by Dana Corporation in Hopkinsville KY).

- A 6-speed dual-clutch transmission is planned, unsure of
the source or if it will be available at start of production

- There will be a large touch screen but many functions
will be controlled by a central menu/select ****. There
will be a better-integrated voice activation system,
similar to Ford's Sync system.

- More weight saving aluminum and carbon fiber parts,
including the removable targa roof panel.

- More carbon fiber interior panels and leather, and far
better seats. A very nice interior.

- Styling is reminiscent of the concept Stingray and
Sideswipe movie cars from the side but front and
rear are more traditional Corvette, headlights similar
to C6 and round taillights.

- All interior and exterior lighting is L.E.D.

- Much of GM's $131 million investment in Bowling
Green will go to upgrading the plant to build the new
aluminum frame and to add stations to build right-
hand-drive versions to increase Corvette sales
worldwide.

All "speculation" of course. Does anyone have more
facts to add?

Nice! Very reasonable and sensible. Could you comment on:

1) Eight-speed automatic transmission?
2) Expanded usage of magnesium?
3) Goodyear or Michelin tires?
4) Features of the 5.5L Gen V small block:
-- Two or three valves per cyclinder?
-- Cam-in-cam?
-- High or low pressure DI?
-- Side or central injection?
5) Rear hatch - glass or polycarbonate?
Old 06-25-2011, 01:55 AM
Racer X
Le Mans Master

Received 4,376 Likes on 2,067 Posts

Originally Posted by ZL-1
Every time a new generation of Corvette is coming it's fun to speculate about all the wild possibilities. But after much research and separating educated guesses from insider knowledge, here is the most reliable prediction:

- Currently it looks like production will start in June 2013
as a 2014 model.

- C7 engine is a direct injection 5.5 liter V8 with cylinder
shut-off, goal is 440 hp, 20 mpg city, 35 mpg highway.

- Z06 will have the 5.5 liter with an Eaton supercharger, the
smaller 1900 as used on CTS-V and ZL1, not the 2300 ZR1
unit. (No plans for a ZR1 model at this time).

- All models will get an aluminum frame built in-house at
Bowling Green (up until now Z06/ZR1 frames have been
built by Dana Corporation in Hopkinsville KY).

- A 6-speed dual-clutch transmission is planned, unsure of
the source or if it will be available at start of production

I think the direct injection will give a 10-20% increase in fuel economy, the mileage would be 18-19 city, with start stop (which GM has said caused issues in the Vette due to the remote transmission) or Cam phasing it might get to 20 city rating. Highway would more in the 31-32 range I would think unless they get a better Cd or lower rolling resistance tires. If it lost 200 pounds it would help both.

I don't think they will go with the supercharger on the Z06. They don't need to. They could probably get to 505HP with a DI 6.2L or a little more with cam phasing or cam in cam or a 6.4L. A supercharger takes HP and therefore fuel to drive so it hurts mileage to get the same HP. Plus it get tuned a little richer on WOT to protect it.

I think the ZR1 will go turbo when it comes out. It will be more fuel efficient. Will they go with a 5.5 with higher pressure or a 6.2-6.4 with lower pressure? I don't know, maybe the 5.5 for a slightly stronger block.

I think it is possible that they could lose substantial weight in the interior with lighter seats and lighter sound deadening and other materials. Maybe go to a lithium ion battery (ok $2k to replace a battery seems like a lot).

Lots ideas and ways to lose weight, it just cost money
Old 06-25-2011, 02:27 PM
Z06Norway
Melting Slicks

Received 241 Likes on 145 Posts

How about 10% size downscale = 5-10% reduced weight
More exotic material = another 2-3 % reduced weight
Pneumatic valve control= reduced weight AND almost unlimited rpm
Dual clutch = better performance AND better mpg
Less weight= smaller tires, = better mpg and better performance
Cw down to 0.28 = better mpg AND better performance

Even with "only" 505 HP from 5.5 GDI it would perform better than current Z06

So please GM, surprise us

Rune
Old 06-29-2011, 12:02 AM
OBSSSD
Drifting

Received 42 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by KevinK
How much hp dictates how much fuel.
Uhhhh.....wrong try again please. Comparing a turbo to a NA motor is a very poor analogy and example. And as another posted already pointed out just look how power output has gone up in conjunction with fuel economy over the past 50 years. It is possible to make more power with better fuel economy - especially with a properly setup turbo motor. Your oversimplification of "physics" is flawed and therefore incorrect
Old 07-07-2011, 03:03 AM
3musky3
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

well i must say everyone has their own idea of what they want the new c7 to be for me i dont much care what it has for a power plant as long as it still kicks but on all the big boys
i just recently got my first c5 or any vette for that matter and with 140k on her is averaging 26.8 mpg i have put 3800 miles on car since i bought it. this much fun and great fuel economy at the same time should not be legal
as far as 10k rpm i dont think that is all that hard to get nascar runs pretty close all day long. na is great but what about the extra volumetric efficiency that a little press brings to the table. with cam phasers and di and all the other benis from modern electronics it only makes sence to add turbos or superchargers. look at what a new diesel truck can do. you better not miss a gear with some of these boys.
my hot rod before my 00 hrc was and still is 87 turbo regal. both seem to get along in garage so far. remember back in 87 who owned the streets and with only 231 cubes and 15psi
if i had my way i want awd for wet traction fat torgue down low for less shifting and nice hp number up top wait come to think of it i like my c5 it is perfect it cruises down the road at barely 1300rpm doing 70ish will accelerate without a downshift it is so lite and nimble great aero every where i go with it people always admire it and ask questions PERFECTION
Old 07-07-2011, 09:50 AM
Kappa
Melting Slicks

Received 530 Likes on 234 Posts

The way the new Porsche 991 is looking, the C7 will be just as light, smaller, and much more powerful.
Old 10-11-2011, 05:13 PM
J-Rod
Melting Slicks

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

Runge_Kutta seems to have knack for finding online patents, and other similar information. What I have seen from the information he posted from back in 2008 was:

5.5L OHV Direct injection with Cylinder deactivation
6.2L DOHC Direct Injection with Cylinder deactivation

both have cam phasing

6.2L as a potential 3V Engine.

This was from GM/Delphi presentations. Much of Runge's "speculation" on the C6 Z06 was spot on as well (based on filed patents). So, I tend to put faith in patents and information such as what was in the .pdf files he posted links to. But, that does not mean GM can't change the displacement, or make other changes in subsequent 3-4 years since many of those were filed.
Old 10-13-2011, 05:38 AM
maominas
Navigator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great, should be in the improvement
Old 10-13-2011, 06:26 AM
SCM_Crash
Le Mans Master

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by J-Rod
Runge_Kutta seems to have knack for finding online patents, and other similar information. What I have seen from the information he posted from back in 2008 was:

5.5L OHV Direct injection with Cylinder deactivation
6.2L DOHC Direct Injection with Cylinder deactivation

both have cam phasing

6.2L as a potential 3V Engine.

This was from GM/Delphi presentations. Much of Runge's "speculation" on the C6 Z06 was spot on as well (based on filed patents). So, I tend to put faith in patents and information such as what was in the .pdf files he posted links to. But, that does not mean GM can't change the displacement, or make other changes in subsequent 3-4 years since many of those were filed.
I'd hope that's right, but remember that GM files hundreds of patents a month and likely not even 1% of the ideas make it to any vehicle. (This information was given to me by my own patent attorney would worked as an engineer in the automotive industry. LOL)
Old 10-13-2011, 09:40 AM
ockie
Instructor

The touch interface you were talking about sounds like the CUE concept that they are going to be putting in all the Cadillacs..

I would not be surprised if GM put this in the Corvette.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/24177...ml#tk.rss_news

I personally wish the corvette has this interior touch system:
http://www.viddler.com/explore/engadget/videos/3321/

I'm quite tempted to look very hard at the new Tesla.
Old 10-13-2011, 07:38 PM
TTRotary
Race Director

Received 404 Likes on 160 Posts

Originally Posted by KevinK
Let's put this displacement conversation to bed...NOW.

A 5.7 liter V8 with direct port injection, valve or cam timing, etc, making, say....500hp at 4,000rpms....

VS

A turbo charged 3.0 liter V6 with direct port injection, valve or cam timing, etc, making, say...500hp at 6,000rpms...

You know what BOTH of these guys have in common? They use the same AMOUNT OF GAS!
No, they don't. The turbo engine needs 11:1 AFR to survive under boost conditions whereas the NA engine can run at 13.5, and for a more precisely metered DI engine, damn close to 14.5. So the larger-displacement NA engine produces it's power more efficiently. It is also about 100lb lighter, more reliable, and packages in about 2/3 the space of the turbo motor. Advantage "big displacement" V-8...again.
Old 10-14-2011, 09:25 AM
BobRBob
Racer

Received 63 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by TTRotary
No, they don't. The turbo engine needs 11:1 AFR to survive under boost conditions whereas the NA engine can run at 13.5, and for a more precisely metered DI engine, damn close to 14.5. So the larger-displacement NA engine produces it's power more efficiently. It is also about 100lb lighter, more reliable, and packages in about 2/3 the space of the turbo motor. Advantage "big displacement" V-8...again.
Then why is everyone else going the other way?

Look at the new 2012 BMW 528i. It's a 2L turbocharged 4. If you actually look at the performance and fuel economy stats for this new engine, it's pretty hard to argue with. I'm not recommending a 2L engine for the Corvette but the writing's on the wall on this issue and I'm afraid there's no getting around it.
Old 10-14-2011, 12:54 PM
SCM_Crash
Le Mans Master

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Turbos are the most efficient way to get displacement on demand. Artificially adding displacement with a turbo gives you the ability to have a no-boost 2L engine that turns into a 5L engine with just 22Lbs of boost.

This was the exact scenario for the Solstice GXP and Sky Redline. 2.0L that boosts up to 22Lbs. (That's 1.5 bar) On paper you double your N/A power for each bar of boost you add. The solstice had 260HP and got 42 MPG. (I know because that's what I got when I drove it from Los Angeles to Phoenix and back.

HOWEVER, this isn't something I want in the Corvette. I think GM knows best. The 5.5L is going to be awesome.

BTW, I didn't buy a Corvette for economy.
Old 10-17-2011, 05:22 PM
pTr73
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by JustinStrife
We're probably just wasting our time with these people Jeff. They're the same kind who believes the next Corvette will be AWD, Mid-Engine, DST, etc. With no facts to back it up.
I have heard that it will not be a mid-engine design but are you sure it will not be AWD?

The truth of any of these threads are nobody knows for sure, I am still saying that this threads et. al. are 99.99% speculation. We will all know for sure when GM unveil's the model in a couple of years!

But its still interesting to read the posts to get somewhat of an idea of how this car will turn out.
Old 10-17-2011, 05:33 PM
TBIRD57
Race Director

Received 235 Likes on 178 Posts

Default have to keep the ZR1

it is our flagship....

Quick Reply: C7, best data as of June 2011