Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2011, 09:45 PM
jackhall99
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

Originally Posted by tuxnharley
"Dana" - ????? where the heck did that come from? It's "Glenn", BTW.
Brain fart.
Old 10-27-2011, 07:45 AM
BobRBob
Racer

Received 63 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by SCM_Crash
Corvette owners are old...

LOL

Yup.
Such is life.
Old 10-27-2011, 09:12 AM
Vette_Pilot
Melting Slicks

Received 167 Likes on 139 Posts

A Vette will still be a toy no matter how you look at it. With this day and age hardly anybody can afford go fast toys anymore, so maybe the future Vette will have to be 1/4 econobox!!!
Old 10-27-2011, 09:31 AM
uxojerry
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The C7 better be cutting edge in style and performance. The base C7 will compete against the Camaro ZL1 and the GT500. Past the base model C7, and it's up against the CTS-V Coupe.

Forget foreign competition, GM has created some cars that almost call for the C7 to be a lower volume, higher priced/performance+ car. Maybe the C7 will start at the equivalent of the current Z06 up thru the ZR1 and beyond.

When GM decided to build a 172 mph Camaro (ZL1), it certainly raised the bar for a base model C7. The ZL1 should be around $50K and a CTS-V Coupe is around $60K.

A $70K-$80K base model C7 would allow GM to build the perfect Corvette. C7 Z06/ZR1 models would be looked at as all-around equals to Porsche 911s and Nissan GTRs. Just my opinion!!!
Old 10-27-2011, 10:25 AM
tuxnharley
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,939 Likes on 1,185 Posts

Originally Posted by SCM_Crash
Corvette owners are old...

LOL
Hey - it beats the alternative..... !!!

Old 10-27-2011, 10:42 AM
entwood
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by HarryWild
All cars take traits from successful or popular cars of the current past years. Ferrari has rack up a history of success in looks, interior and plain desire for the car then any other car in history. That said, the Lambo Aventador is the edge now.

Corvette is probably 10 years behind in exterior design and 20 years in interior quality and looks. If one drives more; then a weekend car; you care about these details. Has no DCT nor AWD option. No option for sound proofing nor premium worldclass audio sytem either. It only has a 2004 era audio headunit and patches for bluetooth and USB port. Software does not total present the iPhone, iPod, or Android smartphones. In other words; Chevrolet needs to address these in the new C7 for it to be a competitor in the world marketplace like China and EU.
Well, I own a Corvette, that usually gets a wow reaction. Pontiac GTO took traits from the Toyota Camry. We know how that went. My Car is not tens years behind anything(well maybe the interior). A classic is a classic. Think New Coke. Stuff your all wheel drive. Leave you computer at home. Drive the car, dd yes, not commuter mobile.
Old 10-27-2011, 12:22 PM
Jinx
Le Mans Master

Received 398 Likes on 207 Posts

Originally Posted by uxojerry
When GM decided to build a 172 mph Camaro (ZL1), it certainly raised the bar for a base model C7. The ZL1 should be around $50K and a CTS-V Coupe is around $60K. A $70K-$80K base model C7 would allow GM to build the perfect Corvette. C7 Z06/ZR1 models would be looked at as all-around equals to Porsche 911s and Nissan GTRs.
ZL1 and CTS-V are both low-volume niche cars; they'll both be in their twilight if not gone when C7 hits the showroom, and they'll look overweight and ancient by comparison.

The trouble with raising the price of C7 by $20K-$30K is that there's no 25,000+ unit per year market there. Corvette is still a mass-production sports car program, and I'm sure everyone involved takes great pride in their volume-selling giant-killing proposition; they want to fix that, not give up on it.

I don't think there's anything GM can do to make Corvette's high-end versions looked at as all-around equals to Porsche's best 911s. Not to the guy on the street, not for a decade or more. But really, we're only a good interior and a little chassis tuning off the mark for the car mags and forward-thinking buyers. I don't think you need to add $20K to the base car to get there. Maybe $10K. And I think GM is prepared to add $5K with the debut of C7 -- look for the base C7 to come in where the GrandSport leaves off, at about $56K.

.Jinx
Old 10-27-2011, 01:17 PM
sirrob
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

2011 Ferrari 599

Just copy and sell it as a C7 2014 model!
sweet!!!
Old 10-27-2011, 04:15 PM
Jinx
Le Mans Master

Received 398 Likes on 207 Posts

I saw one of those up close at my car stereo installer recently. It's... interesting. There's definitely a race vibe there, but it's not all a good thing, more brutally-engineered than beautiful. The "ordinary" ones are prettier cars.

So I can't say I want a Corvette to emulate the 599 GTO. I'd rather see Corvette strive for the all-of-a-piece beauty of the basic roadgoing Ferraris than the effective-but-unattractive addenda of the subsequent racy variants.

.Jinx
Old 10-27-2011, 07:17 PM
dboz
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Jinx
I saw one of those up close at my car stereo installer recently. It's... interesting. There's definitely a race vibe there, but it's not all a good thing, more brutally-engineered than beautiful. The "ordinary" ones are prettier cars.

So I can't say I want a Corvette to emulate the 599 GTO. I'd rather see Corvette strive for the all-of-a-piece beauty of the basic roadgoing Ferraris than the effective-but-unattractive addenda of the subsequent racy variants.

.Jinx
Sort of like what Chevy they did with the ZR1?
Old 10-27-2011, 08:35 PM
guitarcrazy02
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Has no DCT nor AWD option.
The day Corvette becomes AWD, I'm selling mine and buying a Mustang because I'll be so disgusted.
Old 10-27-2011, 11:34 PM
zland
Drifting

Received 608 Likes on 191 Posts

Hmm, for me the C6 Grand Sport, Z06, & ZR1 look better than a Ferrari 599 already. I also do not like the dashboard design of the Ferrari much either.
Old 10-28-2011, 01:25 AM
JustinStrife
Team Owner

Received 96 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by guitarcrazy02
The day Corvette becomes AWD, I'm selling mine and buying a Mustang because I'll be so disgusted.
Harry doesn't even own a Corvette. If you search through his posts over the last couple of years, they're either in the C6 section, or C7 section. I think he's in his 20's also.
Old 10-28-2011, 08:07 AM
BobRBob
Racer

Received 63 Likes on 33 Posts

And this means what?
Old 10-28-2011, 08:30 AM
SouthernSon
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,103 Likes on 717 Posts

I am tempted to weigh in with my ideas of styling ques but the guys at GM seem to have done pretty well up to this point without my input. Can't complain at all about the power plants so far. 130K on my '96 and still pulls high 3XX HP any day of the week. My C5Z is getting close to 10K track miles and most of the drivetrain is original oem stock and going strong. But, I have to hope that the headlights will change on the C7 from the C6. Other than that, I eagerly await introduction.
Old 10-28-2011, 09:55 AM
MCVetteLs6
Melting Slicks

2011 Ferrari 599

Just copy and sell it as a C7 2014 model!
jesus.. take the ferrari emblem off and slap on a vette emblem, and i would have really thought it was the new c7...
i looks pretty tho!
Old 10-28-2011, 11:10 AM
jose1
Advanced

Originally Posted by bobby777
sell like wildfire--high reving small cubic V8--Just dont let the dealers **** around with the window sticker--

Count me Out I hate Ferraris and their owners(most):
Being a Traditionalist and a Radical I am not a fan of "Change". so I hope this "Bold" is not some hideous thing.I was very much against the popup headlights gone when the C6 Debuted.

The Studies are wrong as is Bloomberg, Because I for one Aspire to own and Drive and Race a Corvette, And if it is going to look Ferrari-esque as rumored then count me out.And No Stinking Hybrid tech or Smaller Displacement or Politically Correct items,it's a Corvette and should keep to that.

Jose,29, Miami**Dreamed of owning one since age 4

Get notified of new replies

To If the C7 has a ferrari look and size it will

Old 10-28-2011, 11:42 AM
RonnieC6Z
Drifting

Received 768 Likes on 230 Posts

Originally Posted by jose1
Being a Traditionalist and a Radical I am not a fan of "Change". so I hope this "Bold" is not some hideous thing.I was very much against the popup headlights gone when the C6 Debuted.

The Studies are wrong as is Bloomberg, Because I for one Aspire to own and Drive and Race a Corvette, And if it is going to look Ferrari-esque as rumored then count me out.And No Stinking Hybrid tech or Smaller Displacement or Politically Correct items,it's a Corvette and should keep to that.

Well, then count you out.
Old 10-28-2011, 01:30 PM
jackhall99
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

.... I hate Ferraris and their owners (most)
Christ Jose, how do you really feel?

Most Ferrari models are beautiful and quite fabulous cars to have fun in. Instant wood. And every owner I know is a great person: down to earth, friendly, car knowledgeable, with the requisite money to buy and maintain their cars.

Being a Traditionalist and a Radical I am not a fan of "Change". ....
Change abounds friend. Dial telephones for push-button. Abacus for computers. CRT screens of 12" or less to flat-screens of 70". Party land line systems to cell phones. Corvette with fixed headlights to hidden headlights (both rotating and pop-up) and back to fixed. I guess you belong in the ice age yet.
Old 10-28-2011, 02:43 PM
SCM_Crash
Le Mans Master

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Looks like Jose will not like the new Corvette. LOL

It's not the first time Corvettes have gone to a smaller motor. It likely won't be the last time either. Hell, even the switch from LT1 to LS1 was a drop in displacement. Not a large drop, but still a smaller motor. And look what kind of power and performance you got from an LS1. I welcome a smaller engine as long as it makes more power. Efficiency is way better than the displacement pissing contest. I wouldn't want a V6, but if they can make a super efficient V8 run rings around the LS platform, why not? It'd be nice to drive my Corvette to Vegas from Los Angeles and back on 1 tank of gas. LOL

BTW, you have heard of the 2.4L RST V8 that makes 500HP, right?

And Ferrari and Chevrolet have a LONG history of taking design queues from each other.

Pop-up headlights were cool, but they're dated and unsafe to pedestrians. They're not aerodynamic and they're a lot of complexity just for looks. I wouldn't get rid of pop-ups on my C5, but I'm not against buying a new Vette without pop-ups. It'd be nice to not have the headache.

Quick Reply: If the C7 has a ferrari look and size it will