Sponsored by:

C7 a Hybrid

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2011, 10:21 PM
bluemax750
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Default AWD hybrid

What I'd like to see from GM is to make the Corvette an AWD hybrid. By that I mean keep the current drive train and add motors in the hubs of the front wheels. Use ultra-capacitors instead of batteries and configure the system for performance. Basically tie it in with the DC/TC system to give maximum drive out of corners. It would be completely seamless and transparent to the driver. I know GM is capable of engineering such a system. I just don't know what it would cost. Ultra-Capacitors are very expensive, but for this application they would be ideal. The reason is they can take a charge as fast as you can push power into them. Basically instant recharge, so you can recover almost 100% of the power the hub motors generate on decel/braking. So, that would actually decrease the number of ultra-capacitors that would be needed as compared to batteries because of the almost instant recharging. If GM could package a 75 hp motor in the wheel/hub, that would be a 150 hp boost over the engine hp with full torque off the line. Combine it with a DCT and it would crush the Audis and Porches. But it would work just fine with a regular manual or automatic transmission.

Or do my ultimate pipe dream and make it a full electric with hub motors all around. A nice load of ultra-capacitors and a couple of turbines to flash charge the ultra-capacitors. The turbines will run on almost any liquid that burns and they only run for brief periods at peak efficiency.

Quick Reply: C7 a Hybrid