Sponsored by:

Interesting Information

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2012, 10:48 AM
Shaka
Safety Car

Received 1,331 Likes on 790 Posts

Originally Posted by pTr73
If you change the final drive ratio (which is the rear gears if I am not mistaken) its like changing ALL of the gears. 1st and 2nd have no problem breaking loose in my car as it is with the stock 3.42's now. If I went to a 4.11's it would be even easier to burn rubber. I would find it more logical if you just tighten up 3rd and 4th and leave all else alone. (see my post #12) I stated that 1st and 2nd already have enough pull, but when the car gets to 3rd and 4th while still pulls, but not as hard as 1st and 2nd. I just think it would be logical if GM tightens up 3rd and 4th if they utilize a 7speed manual.
What does tighten up mean? Do you mean close ratios? 4th is direct. Input shaft and output are locked together in 4th. You can bring 1,2,3,5 and 6 closer to 4. This is called closing the ratios. The first 3 gear ratios become taller(higher) and the the last two become shorter(lower) Under and over drive. The lower the gearing, the higher the ratio and VV.

For 4.10 gears( ring gear[crown gear] and pinion gear) on the rear axle, slicks will be neccesary. The axle ratio multiplies torque. In 4th, the engine turns one revolution to the rear wheel's 4.1 revs. Wheel diameter will further the mechanical advantage or dis advantage. Watch dragsters change their gearing as the tires increase their diameter in the run.
Circle track cars have quick change ratios in the rear axle. Class 8 trucks have torque splitter ratios making a 5 speed a 10 speed xmission. Separate overdrive units mounted behind the gearbox like the ones on old Jags and Vettess gave you an 8 speed gearbox. Check out your bicycle gears.
There a shops that will build your T56 or 60 with any ratios you want.
I like em tight or close. Remember the Mucie M21 and 22? Lordy Lordy.
Old 01-05-2012, 11:34 AM
Jp23rockstar
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I heard that the c7 will have two new colors one is mint pearl and one is a real dark blue hue that looks black with a hint of purple. You guys can believe me or not is up to you. But this is true.
Old 01-05-2012, 02:47 PM
pTr73
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Shaka
What does tighten up mean? Do you mean close ratios? 4th is direct. Input shaft and output are locked together in 4th. You can bring 1,2,3,5 and 6 closer to 4. This is called closing the ratios. The first 3 gear ratios become taller(higher) and the the last two become shorter(lower) Under and over drive. The lower the gearing, the higher the ratio and VV.

For 4.10 gears( ring gear[crown gear] and pinion gear) on the rear axle, slicks will be neccesary. The axle ratio multiplies torque. In 4th, the engine turns one revolution to the rear wheel's 4.1 revs. Wheel diameter will further the mechanical advantage or dis advantage. Watch dragsters change their gearing as the tires increase their diameter in the run.
Circle track cars have quick change ratios in the rear axle. Class 8 trucks have torque splitter ratios making a 5 speed a 10 speed xmission. Separate overdrive units mounted behind the gearbox like the ones on old Jags and Vettess gave you an 8 speed gearbox. Check out your bicycle gears.
There a shops that will build your T56 or 60 with any ratios you want.
I like em tight or close. Remember the Mucie M21 and 22? Lordy Lordy.
I dont know the dynamics of gearing especially the tranny in our cars. When I say tighten yes I mean make them closer in ratio. If they made a 7spd is 4th still direct or will 5th be direct? Either way I am assuming you can make the ratios closer to one another if you have more gears overall. Sorry if I am not making sense, as I said I am not to nifty with dynamic speech on certain things.

The term "tighten up" came from the article I read which I posted the link on here.
Old 01-05-2012, 05:35 PM
hig4s
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The stock gears in a base and Z51 arent that much different, but enough to be noticable in acceleration. I drove a non Z51 car before I purchased my car and I do feel the difference driving mine. I myself have been able to chirp 3rd gear with ease and I am sure your 3rd gear can break loose also, but thats irrelevant. I am sure GM wouldnt make any radical changes to the ratios, but enough to make the car noticeably faster.

Automatics only shift faster it doesnt mean they are faster.

Ding, ding, ding..
If there won't be any radical changes to the ratios, then there is no need for a 7th gear, which is what I said!!!!

But, if two identical cars, with the same gear ratios are racing, and all other things being equal, the one that shifts faster will be going faster.

Which is why so many people keep arguing the C7 needs DCT..
Old 01-05-2012, 07:23 PM
ANTIVNOM
Safety Car

Received 77 Likes on 32 Posts

I'm just fine if they want to offer the DCT as an option. You couldn't give me one, I hate automatics. As long as there is a proper manual gearbox available, I'm a buyer. No manual, no sale.
Old 01-06-2012, 01:14 AM
pTr73
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by hig4s
Ding, ding, ding..
If there won't be any radical changes to the ratios, then there is no need for a 7th gear, which is what I said!!!!
What do you mean exactly? There isnt much of a ratio difference between a non-z51 and z51 car. Except 1st - 3rd and the z51 pulls harder than the non-z51 correct? So if you shorten the ratios of 1- 4(meaning making them shorter than the current z51 setup) the car would pull a bit harder. If you do that then a 7th gear might be justified since your shortening the lower gears even more than what they are. As i said before, 1 - 5 could be drive gears and 6 & 7 the overdrives.

But, if two identical cars, with the same gear ratios are racing, and all other things being equal, the one that shifts faster will be going faster.

This goes without saying, of course 2 cars equal gearing, tires, hp, torque, same driver weight etc. If one driver happens to shift a bit faster and can launch better obviously we know the outcome of this. F
Old 01-06-2012, 03:36 AM
4SUMERZ
Race Car Tech
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,320 Likes on 1,664 Posts

Originally Posted by hig4s
Ding, ding, ding..

Just read the Mar 12 issue of Vettes magazine and in the issue, they talk about the C6 Auto transmission and the computer upgrade to the 2012 transmission, which is patented by GM. The 2012 transmission gets the new upgrade, but they will not offer it to 2006-2011 transmissions. It upgrades the 1-2 shift, the 2-3 shift and 3-4 shifts on the manual paddle mode. It improves the response time by 65%.
Old 01-06-2012, 05:48 PM
hig4s
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What do you mean exactly?

I keep saying exactly what I mean, but let my try again for you.

Corvette is not a race car, it is a street car that people like to race around in..

And seeing as it is not a full race car the only time 6th gear is needed is on the freeway cruising to get better gas mileage.

So even if they want to shorten the gear ratios of 3rd, 4th, and 5th there is no reason for a 7th gear.

And because the engine is so big, and has so much torque it really doesn't need a closer ratio gear box. It is not a narrow torque band, 4 cylinder engine.

I actually like the 6 speed, but in reality it really doesn't even need 6, I almost never use 3rd, and mostly use 5th when I am cruising too slow to use 6th.

Just checked the ratios, current LS3 5th at 6500 rpms would be over 200mph. If the engine would pull it.. So they could easily give the base the same 1 to 5 ratios as the ZR1 and leave 6th were it is and 5th would still be good for 185mph..

Last edited by hig4s; 01-06-2012 at 06:20 PM.

Quick Reply: Interesting Information