C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Which would you prefer as the new C7, the C7 Concept or the Jalopnik Rendering?
C7 Concept
53.13%
Jalopnik Rendering
46.88%
Voters: 224. You may not vote on this poll

C7 Concept vs Jalopnik Renderings

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2012, 04:58 PM
~Stingray
Le Mans Master

Received 398 Likes on 264 Posts
St. Jude Donor '17, '19

Default C7 Concept vs Jalopnik Renderings

Hey Guys,

I have been following the threads recently on the Jalopnik renderings and there are constant "back and forth" of who likes it and who doesn't. And comparing the renderings against the concept. So lets find out which is really more popular, specifically to the exterior design (leave the concept's interior design to another post).

So which would your prefer for the new C7, the C7 Concept or the Jalopnik Renderings?

Old 01-23-2012, 05:53 PM
vant
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think the Jalopnik rendering will ultimately appeal to a wider range of buyers. It seems like a much safer choice. So if you're asking which body makes the most sense for the C7, I would have to say the Jalopnik one.

On the other hand, if you're asking which design makes me do this: , then it's the Stingray concept, hands down. But in a good way. It's definitely a head turner.

Although, I still think the Stingray concept would look 10x better if they were to re-work the front and rear ends. It looks very exotic as is, and only needs a few changes to be stunningly beautiful, IMO.

The Jalopnik body is good looking. I definitely like the redesigned roofline. But, I'm just not sure that I will ultimately lust after this car. I'll have to wait to see it in person before passing judgement.
Old 01-23-2012, 06:15 PM
niteriderc5
Safety Car

Put that thing to rest already...the Transformer ( Not C7 concept ) Corvette was simply that...a car GM built for a MOVIE

Thnk of it as a design exercise thats it! And a car GM could preview their CUE system

The official name for that thing is called "Corvette Stingray Concept" GM never referenced this thing as being a C7 anything!

Last edited by niteriderc5; 01-23-2012 at 06:18 PM.
Old 01-23-2012, 06:52 PM
vant
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by niteriderc5
Put that thing to rest already...the Transformer ( Not C7 concept ) Corvette was simply that...a car GM built for a MOVIE

Thnk of it as a design exercise thats it! And a car GM could preview their CUE system

The official name for that thing is called "Corvette Stingray Concept" GM never referenced this thing as being a C7 anything!
Big deal. So the guy called it by the wrong name (although that is ironic since his screen name happens to be "~Stingray" ).

While GM never stated that this car was the "C7" concept, it was nonetheless, an alternative design for CORVETTE. If that has nothing to do with the future of Corvette designs, including the C7, then I don't know what does.

Maybe you can answer his question instead of pissing all over his thread.
Old 01-23-2012, 07:02 PM
niteriderc5
Safety Car

Originally Posted by vant
Big deal. So the guy called it by the wrong name (although that is ironic since his screen name happens to be "~Stingray" ).

While GM never stated that this car was the "C7" concept, it was nonetheless, an alternative design for CORVETTE. If that has nothing to do with the future of Corvette designs, including the C7, then I don't know what does.

Maybe you can answer his question instead of pissing all over his thread.
No one is pissing over his thread. I am simply pointing out incorrect information. At the minimum, knowing for a fact that the Stingray concept is nothing more than a movie show car is the least someone who is obviously interested in Corvette and is posting on a CORVETTE forum should be a aware of. I'm sure even the OP could appreciate the correction. The more you know...
Old 01-23-2012, 07:36 PM
zland
Drifting

Received 607 Likes on 190 Posts

I do not like either one of them. I think GM could do much better then what i have sen thus far.
Old 01-23-2012, 08:15 PM
z edge
Race Director

Location: BOOMER SOONER Big 12 Champions 2000, 2002, 2004, 2006 - 2008, 2010, 2012, 2015 - 2020.....
Received 914 Likes on 527 Posts

Jalopnik rendering is crap.
Old 01-23-2012, 08:34 PM
Jinx
Le Mans Master

Received 398 Likes on 207 Posts

The ridiculously-fendered baleen-mouthed gap-butted car commonly referred to as the Transformers car was not built for the movie. (The convertible version with the racing wing was built for the movie; the coupe from which it was spawned was not.)

That coupe was built for GM's (not Chevrolet's) 100th Anniversary, as a cool show car, with no styling or engineering connections to C7. Go back to the press releases and articles when the car first showed up and you'll see GM spokespeople being quite clear about the car's purpose and lack of production connections. IIRC it was referred to as the Centennial Corvette.

As to which I prefer, aside from the snarky comments above, here's the problem with it: as a show car, it's unrealistic for production. Even if you loved the way the car looks, you must realize that no production car would look like that. Not that low, not that wide, not that dramatic. Those things don't work for production. Ingress and egress would suck, visibility would suck, aero and noise and heat and parking and on and on.

Comparing a show car to a production car is not a fair comparison in the context of "what would you rather the next C7 be?"

.Jinx
Old 01-23-2012, 09:31 PM
Z06Fiend
Instructor

Originally Posted by Jinx
The ridiculously-fendered baleen-mouthed gap-butted car commonly referred to as the Transformers car was not built for the movie. (The convertible version with the racing wing was built for the movie; the coupe from which it was spawned was not.)

That coupe was built for GM's (not Chevrolet's) 100th Anniversary, as a cool show car, with no styling or engineering connections to C7. Go back to the press releases and articles when the car first showed up and you'll see GM spokespeople being quite clear about the car's purpose and lack of production connections. IIRC it was referred to as the Centennial Corvette.

As to which I prefer, aside from the snarky comments above, here's the problem with it: as a show car, it's unrealistic for production. Even if you loved the way the car looks, you must realize that no production car would look like that. Not that low, not that wide, not that dramatic. Those things don't work for production. Ingress and egress would suck, visibility would suck, aero and noise and heat and parking and on and on.

Comparing a show car to a production car is not a fair comparison in the context of "what would you rather the next C7 be?"

.Jinx
/\ This X 100
Old 01-23-2012, 09:43 PM
Jp23rockstar
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I chose the jalopnik rendering over the stingray just because the front and back end are much worse than jalopniks. The jalopnik rendering is pretty close to the actual spy shot but one of the differences is the mouth in the spy shot is squared off instead of oval like mouth on the rendering. They both look good but I prefer the jalopnik rendering has a smoother look to it than the stingray concept. I also enjoy the Ferrari 599 look to it front and side view you can see it.
Old 01-23-2012, 10:00 PM
Endeka
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Those things don't work for production. Ingress and egress would suck, visibility would suck, aero and noise and heat and parking and on and on.
Oh right, you couldn't build a production car with those problems:

That must be why every time a Ford GT comes to a car show, some Lambo owner comes up and tells the GT owner how he'd give his Lambo, his left nut, and his firstborn child for the GT.

That's what happens when you build to a vision rather than to some constrained idea of usability and market interest-you create the greatest damn cars in the history of man.
Old 01-24-2012, 01:36 AM
Senna1994
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Endeka

That must be why every time a Ford GT comes to a car show, some Lambo owner comes up and tells the GT owner how he'd give his Lambo, his left nut, and his firstborn child for the GT.

That's what happens when you build to a vision rather than to some constrained idea of usability and market interest-you create the greatest damn cars in the history of man.
Old 01-24-2012, 02:22 AM
LS1LT1
Team Owner

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

No argument there, the Ford GT is one seriously badass car.
Old 01-24-2012, 02:41 AM
zland
Drifting

Received 607 Likes on 190 Posts

Heck, if you took the Porsche 918, Ford GT, Ferrari 458 design language & blended it with Corvette design language it would be a nice design. I know those I listed above have the engine behind the driver but you know what I mean I hope. To me the 458 is a much better looking Ferrari then the 599.

The Ford GT (40) is a classic, timeless design. Hopefully the C7 will rival that but at this point, the spy photos do not indicate that to me.
Old 01-24-2012, 09:37 AM
~Stingray
Le Mans Master

Received 398 Likes on 264 Posts
St. Jude Donor '17, '19

Originally Posted by Jinx
you must realize that no production car would look like that. Not that low, not that wide, not that dramatic. Those things don't work for production. Ingress and egress would suck, visibility would suck, aero and noise and heat and parking and on and on.
I disagree with this entirely. Asside from the GT example above there are lot of cars out there that suck at visability. The Celica is a perfect example. And the new Challengers, those things have terrible visibility, so many blind spots. I am sure we can all think of think of cars that have issues.

Every car takes getting use too. You have to learn your car, know where it sticks out and where it doesn't. The C3 corvettes, and I am sure many of the new ones too, are good examples. The first time you got in a C3, did you know exactly where that front nose stopped? And corvettes are about 3 inches above the ground (at least the C3s are, I am not sure about the new ones, but it has to be close).

And I not sure why by looking at the car you think that noise and heat will be a problem. If these are your reasons for thinking this will never happen, I don't think they are the same as what Chevy is thinking. But I would like to know what that is as it appears that I will not be getting the car I was hoping for.
Old 01-24-2012, 04:51 PM
F22
Le Mans Master

Received 275 Likes on 211 Posts

Did anyone see the spy photo's yet. It looks like Jalopnik was right. The rendering is dead on, as far as the wheels, the A-pillar and even the front fender turn signal. Note the roofline and the large 'shoulders' behind the door. Mirrors are dead on too. Stacked headlamps on top of the fenders. Yep, that too. If it ain't the C7, it's very, very close and I approve.

http://jalopnik.com/5877481/2014-che...otos/gallery/1

Last edited by F22; 01-24-2012 at 04:54 PM. Reason: Added info
Old 01-24-2012, 04:57 PM
tuxnharley
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,937 Likes on 1,183 Posts

Originally Posted by F22
Did anyone see the spy photo's yet. It looks like Jalopnik was right. The rendering is dead on, as far as the wheels, the A-pillar and even the front fender turn signal. Note the roofline and the large 'shoulders' behind the door. Mirrors are dead on too. Stacked headlamps on top of the fenders. Yep, that too. If it ain't the C7, it's very, very close and I approve.

http://jalopnik.com/5877481/2014-che...otos/gallery/1

Get notified of new replies

To C7 Concept vs Jalopnik Renderings

Old 01-24-2012, 06:54 PM
SubjectAlpha
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think I'd rather have a real C7. Bound to look better than either of those choices.
Old 01-24-2012, 07:37 PM
Jinx
Le Mans Master

Received 398 Likes on 207 Posts

Okay, nitpick: How many Ford GTs did they build? How much did they cost? Who really built them?

Corvettes and 911s don't make the sacrifices that small-volume exotics do for good reason. Have you stood next to the Centennial Corvette? Twenty-five thousand people a year ain't buyin' that.
Old 01-25-2012, 02:52 AM
TommyV
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12, '16

I love it, but I don't think I could fit in it. (6' 2")

Quick Reply: C7 Concept vs Jalopnik Renderings