Sponsored by:

Will the base 2014 C7 be faster than the 2013 GT500

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2012, 12:48 PM
JustinStrife
Team Owner

Received 97 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by shawnvettefan
Different cars, different markets! That's why there is a Camaro.....wrong comparison.

And even if the Mustang has 800 HP, I would still take the Camaro for it's looks.
I wouldn't. The new Camaro is an ugly pig.
Old 02-10-2012, 02:35 PM
LS1LT1
Team Owner

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by SlickShoes
650hp.....meh. So what. Only 12hp over that of a current ZR1, and while the ZR1 is incredibly quick now, imagine what it'd feel like with your 400lb obese friend strapped in the passenger seat next to you, and a full stereo system with two extra car batteries, 4 amplifiers, a pair of 12" subs in a box, and a host of screens and component sets. Then lift the car off the ground about 4 more inches, and swap the aluminum IRS for an iron solid axle.

Now you're about where the GT500's putting its crosshairs, lol.
Good point LOL.

Originally Posted by Endeka
No way in hell will the base model be as fast as the GT500.
I think it could be closer than ya think. I agree that the 2013 GT500 will likely edge out the base C7 in overall straight line performance (probably not in road course lap times though) but I'm betting that the best acceleration ETs for both cars will be within a couple tenths of each other, once tested in private hands (not magazine numbers).
In this competitive climate, I just don't think that the Corvette Team would ever release something that slow.
Old 02-10-2012, 03:05 PM
goatts
Safety Car

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by AFVETTE
Any predictions on raw performance numbers?

Tom
Based solely on what we've seen so far it may not even outperform the C6 (longer wheelbase and smaller V8). Previous chief engineers had performance/racing backgrounds. Not sure about tadge juechter background.
Old 02-10-2012, 03:11 PM
goatts
Safety Car

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by BlueOx
Man, who really cares? If you get a little faster in one or the other, is that all that matters to you? I like the Corvette for far more than just speed and I know it will be very fast...faster than I, or most other people, will probably ever attain given my abilities.

I think a lot of folks will NEVER attain the peak abilities of these cars unless they are pure trackers. That is the real question...which will be faster on the track and is that the only reason I will buy one?
I think most vette fans do even if it's just for the sake of bench racing. Corvette has a rich racing history and it probably would not be here if not for Zora racing it. If you really don't care then why spend the money? Just buy a Chrysler Crossfire or a Miata.

Look at the forum home page articles on ZR750 on Top Gear test track, C3 LS9 monster and the burnout super test. I don't see too many articles titled "garage queen shootout".

Me thinks you're a tiny minority.

Last edited by goatts; 02-10-2012 at 03:51 PM.
Old 02-10-2012, 03:56 PM
SlickShoes
_Sloth Whisperer_
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by goatts

Old 02-10-2012, 07:41 PM
shawnvettefan
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Man, who really cares? If you get a little faster in one or the other, is that all that matters to you? I like the Corvette for far more than just speed and I know it will be very fast...faster than I, or most other people, will probably ever attain given my abilities.

I think a lot of folks will NEVER attain the peak abilities of these cars unless they are pure trackers. That is the real question...which will be faster on the track and is that the only reason I will buy one?
Well said!!
Old 02-10-2012, 11:36 PM
tail_lights
Race Director

Received 252 Likes on 210 Posts

OK, the real question in your house is who wins?
Luckily we both like Vettes
Old 02-11-2012, 03:07 PM
Brunotheboxer
Instructor

People will care when they are at a stop light in a new c7 and the 13 Shelby pulls up.

For me I'm going to test drive a c7 and a 13+ gt500. Then I'll make my decision.
Old 02-11-2012, 06:05 PM
LS1LT1
Team Owner

Man, who really cares?
Originally Posted by Brunotheboxer
People will care when they are at a stop light in a new c7 and the 13 Shelby pulls up.
Old 02-13-2012, 01:45 PM
BlueOx
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I think most vette fans do even if it's just for the sake of bench racing. Corvette has a rich racing history and it probably would not be here if not for Zora racing it. If you really don't care then why spend the money? Just buy a Chrysler Crossfire or a Miata.

Look at the forum home page articles on ZR750 on Top Gear test track, C3 LS9 monster and the burnout super test. I don't see too many articles titled "garage queen shootout".

Not really. The VAST majority of Corvette owners never race them in any way, shape or form. They might follow, as I do, the Corvette Racing program and that is about it. If that means our Corvettes are garage queens, that is fine with me. We all have our reasons for owning a Corvette and one is just as valid as the next.

The real issue is do we care that the Vette may or may not be a bit faster or slower than a Mustang. I don't and I doubt most would care one way or the other. The truth is that there is always a faster car! I've seen videos of Vettes losing drag races to an electric car and a diesel truck. WHO CARES?!

BTW, watching a burnout is not an indication that anyone cares about a Mustang being on the same level as a Vette.

If you are that on the fence about it, go buy a Mustang. Don't be fooled by the few that do have those thoughts here on Corvette Forum. This is the tiny minority you speak of.
Old 02-13-2012, 01:59 PM
ockie
Instructor

I never understood why people compared Mustangs to Corvettes? This is like comparing high school to graduate school.
Old 02-13-2012, 04:01 PM
NocarbutaVetteforme
Drifting

Received 41 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by TTRotary
I think the more relevant question is whether the base car will be expected to just match or slightly exceed the performance of the Camaro ZL1, because that is one heckufa performance machine. It clobbered the Boss 302 around Laguna Seca and it has some seriously advanced suspension technology built in. I think it would be faster around a track than today's base C6 and probably even the GS. If history is any indication, they would build the C7 so that it is very close in acceleration and superior on the track. And that would make for one impressive vehicle.
It beat the Boss 302 by 2.5 seconds but had 136 more HP. So now what are you going to do when the GT500 has more HP than the Camaro? The GT500 is supposed to get all of the handling cues from the Boss 302. So now it will have the HP plus the handling capability. People shouldn't underestimate this 2013 GT500. FORD has been doing what needs to be done.
Old 02-13-2012, 04:07 PM
Jinx
Le Mans Master

Received 398 Likes on 207 Posts

Originally Posted by ockie
I never understood why people compared Mustangs to Corvettes? This is like comparing high school to graduate school.
Some guys prefer dating high school chicks. *shrug*
Old 02-13-2012, 07:01 PM
LS1LT1
Team Owner

Originally Posted by NocarbutaVetteforme
It beat the Boss 302 by 2.5 seconds but had 136 more HP.
You do know that the ZL1 is also probably over 400 pounds heavier than the Boss 302 Laguna Seca as well, right?
As we all know, weight is a REAL detriment on a road course, maybe more so than a power deficit in many cases.
And also, the Boss 302 Laguna Seca is built specifically for that type of thing.
But then again yes, so is the ZL1 as well I suppose.

The 2013 GT500 will be heavier than the Boss 302 (more so than even the current GT500 is due to the 2013's stronger/heavier duty parts) and more specifically nose heavier than it, but it will also likely be made to handle even better than the current GT500 as well.
And yes, it likely will still be lighter than the ZL1.
Old 02-13-2012, 07:23 PM
CaryKen
Burning Brakes

Received 24 Likes on 15 Posts

I'll join his minority. I've owned a C5 FRC since 2000 and love, love, love driving it, looking at it, and just sitting in the damned thing! I don't care one whit whether its 1/4 mile or 0-60 time is .5 seconds slower or faster than some other car. I wouldn't buy a Crossfire or Miata because neither one gives me the sense of sheer joy when I look at the aesthetics or feel the connection to the road (even at non-racetrack speeds).

My car has been a faithful and beloved daily driver for 12 years now. I have driven it across the country on wide open long straight interstates, along twisty coastal roads, on mountain passes, and on the city streets of Brooklyn and Manhattan (NOT recommended!).

I own a Corvette because it appeals to me in many different ways. Its racing heritage is not important for me (except in the obvious trickle down of performance that is usable to a casual driving enthusiast). It is the unique combination of looks, performance, price, and feel that float my boat.

That's not to say that my perspective is RIGHT and yours is WRONG. It's just an acknowledgment that different things are important to different people. It's dangerous to assume a single perspective as being applicable to others.
Old 02-13-2012, 09:23 PM
OnPoint
The Consigliere
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5,476 Likes on 2,278 Posts

Originally Posted by SlickShoes
650hp.....meh. So what. Only 12hp over that of a current ZR1, and while the ZR1 is incredibly quick now, imagine what it'd feel like with your 400lb obese friend strapped in the passenger seat next to you, and a full stereo system with two extra car batteries, 4 amplifiers, a pair of 12" subs in a box, and a host of screens and component sets. Then lift the car off the ground about 4 more inches, and swap the aluminum IRS for an iron solid axle.

Now you're about where the GT500's putting its crosshairs, lol.

Old 02-13-2012, 09:26 PM
HHZ06
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Are you saying Corvettes are High School?

Get notified of new replies

To Will the base 2014 C7 be faster than the 2013 GT500

Old 02-14-2012, 12:14 AM
HarryWild
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by AFVETTE
Any predictions on raw performance numbers?

Tom
The new Mustang GT500 Shelby top speed is over 200 mph and has over 600 hps engine inside.
Old 02-14-2012, 01:09 AM
Z06LUST
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

Based solely on what we've seen so far it may not even outperform the C6 (longer wheelbase and smaller V8). Previous chief engineers had performance/racing backgrounds. Not sure about tadge juechter background.
Huh??????????? Dave Hill came from Cadilliac......... Juechter has been with Corvette for a very long time.
Old 02-14-2012, 01:13 AM
Z06LUST
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

There are a HUGE number of Corvette owners who suffer from severe inferority complexes. The stereotype of the 50 yr old walter middy types trying to prove they are a man and must have the fastest car (but never drive it in that fashion) has more truth behind it than many would every accept as possible.

Quick Reply: Will the base 2014 C7 be faster than the 2013 GT500