Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Putting a deposit down on a C7

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2012, 03:41 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,700 Likes on 1,214 Posts

In July 2008 I read an article in the WSJ that GM had a special promotion going on that allowed a GM employee to let a friend purchase ANY GM car at the employee price. The best discount is the employees discount, and the next best is the supplier's discount. I purchased my 2009 Z06 using a GM employee's number and got approximately $3,000 below invoice, plus GM would not allow the dealer to charge over $75 for a DOC fee(My dealer didn't charge me a DOC fee). GM establishes the price the employee pays for the vehicle, not the dealer. My understanding is that a dealer does not have to sell a car to a GM employee at the GM employee price. GM can not make the dealer to sell an employee a car at the employee price. My understanding is that when a dealer does sell to an employee at the GM price, GM still pays the dealer a good markup plus the 3% holdback. The dealer is not taking a hit when they sell a car to a GM employee at the employee discount.
Old 03-30-2012, 04:15 PM
LS1LT1
Team Owner

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by OnPoint
The aftermarket exhaust will need a little time, but I wouldn't expect it to be more than a few months. And you never know, you may like the stock exhaust. Have to wait and see.

On engine mods, I expect that to take a while for two reasons. First is the usual time for the tuner community to learn the new ECM and all its related programming. Second, if this car debuts with DI and its usually associated higher compression, learning if and how to tweak that new system, and what its reasonable limits are will be brand new over the current LS engines.
The tuning parameters and the Direct Injection will be potential factors there for sure.

Originally Posted by HZ3
I'm wondering if they will even be willing to finance the C7s or expect all of the cash up front for the first shipments
There will always be financing options available (only to those that qualify for it of course) as the dealerships/GM can make some good money on that end as well.
Old 03-30-2012, 04:41 PM
RC000E
Le Mans Master

Received 346 Likes on 208 Posts

If I were in position to place an order on a C7 now, I'd take the museum delivery option in order to see if I could possibly nab the first museum delivery C7. I'd imagine they'd make it quite an affair.

Just my .02
Old 03-30-2012, 05:00 PM
WEBDZYNER
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Default ZL-1 shows a discount

If you go to the gm family first website and build a ZL1 Camaro it shows about a $1200 discount. The option part of the website is not poulated yet though. This is a good example of a hot car that has a discount listed. Up to the dealer to honor it though.

It helps, it would wipe out the gas guzzler tax on the manual version.

You can build cars with the discount here to see how much you get off the price of the car.

Last edited by WEBDZYNER; 03-30-2012 at 05:01 PM. Reason: typo
Old 03-30-2012, 07:18 PM
Dudeurgettnavette
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Me too
Old 03-30-2012, 08:19 PM
HZ3
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RC000E
If I were in position to place an order on a C7 now, I'd take the museum delivery option in order to see if I could possibly nab the first museum delivery C7. I'd imagine they'd make it quite an affair.

Just my .02
Whats the museum delivery include exactly and how much extra does it run? mind you I'm probably going to be putting around 15k plus in this car within the first month in aftermarket so I'm just curious
Old 03-30-2012, 08:25 PM
Jinx
Le Mans Master

Received 398 Likes on 207 Posts

http://www.corvettemuseum.org/ncm_delivery/index.shtml
Old 03-30-2012, 09:45 PM
Z06Electron
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by HZ3
Spoke with Lingenfelter they seemed to look forward to working on the car as soon as its released and even mentioned how they have had people have the car delivered from the truck to their facility before.

Not sure if this will be a good idea though since engine longevity is a concern I may want to give them a little time to play around with the C7 before having them perform open surgery on the engine but they seemed very confident and like they looked forward to the task once its released initially.

Corsa said they are throwing around ideas now and were unable to give a date as to when a new exhaust system would be released but asked for my contact info as they were anxious to get into contact with me when I get ahold of the car.

I suppose well see chances are I wont be driving the car for more than a month before garaging it for the winter so a few hundred miles and letting it sit while I wait on people learning the new C7 really isn't a huge deal.
I will be supplying mine to a few of my manufacturers for parts development at launch. That is why I am purchasing at launch. A whole bunch of manufacturers are here in SoCal and I am hoping the car makes the rounds. Long tube headers, possibly axle-back, CAI, and throttlebody should be available pretty quick from BBK I am hoping. They will have it first.
Old 03-30-2012, 09:50 PM
Z06Electron
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by HZ3
Whats the museum delivery include exactly and how much extra does it run? mind you I'm probably going to be putting around 15k plus in this car within the first month in aftermarket so I'm just curious
Not unless you are buying $15,000 wheels you won't be. Calloway and SLP should have preproduction models as they work very closely with GM for turn key models. My guess is they will have the parts at launch. Most others will have to either buy one or find willing owners like myself to give their brand new shiny toy to tear up. Borla maybe. Corsa almost definitely. When I was at SEMA I was a fly on the wall listening to the GM rep talk to the Corsa rep and it seems like they have a pretty darn good relationship. Corsa said Corvettes is by far their most popular line.
Old 03-30-2012, 11:06 PM
HZ3
Racer

Originally Posted by Z06Electron
Not unless you are buying $15,000 wheels you won't be. Calloway and SLP should have preproduction models as they work very closely with GM for turn key models. My guess is they will have the parts at launch. Most others will have to either buy one or find willing owners like myself to give their brand new shiny toy to tear up. Borla maybe. Corsa almost definitely. When I was at SEMA I was a fly on the wall listening to the GM rep talk to the Corsa rep and it seems like they have a pretty darn good relationship. Corsa said Corvettes is by far their most popular line.
I plan on seeing how much Lingenfelter can squeeze out of it at launch while keeping a stock hood I'm still not entirely sure if that's a good idea though it may be wiser to just throw some GT Brembos on it and wait it out. I assume Lingenfelter is going to charge me a considerable amount since they wont have an engine package in place off the bat.

Corsa seemed interested in getting my contact info and keeping in touch.

I may be jumping the gun getting this thing tuned off the lot but I want to make sure it can kill the heavily dominated JDM and Mustang scene here in town and not just look pretty off the bat.
Old 03-31-2012, 12:10 AM
CandyVette
Drifting

My closest dealership and one that I have a close relationship with is City Chevrolet in Charlotte. I purchased my 2011 Grand Sport convertible from them at a deal so great in September of last year I won't even divulge how good a deal I got. I can tell you it is the best deal I have ever received on a Corvette, and I have purchased 7 Corvettes in my lifetime. I have not yet put my name in for a C7 simply because I am waiting to see if they offer a convertible version. If they don't, I am more than happy waiting until they do. I get compliments on my beautiful Grand Sport all the time and I can wait until they offer a convertible. My dealership knows me and my husband as we are repeat customers so I can wait to see what happens.
Old 03-31-2012, 12:53 AM
Jinx
Le Mans Master

Received 398 Likes on 207 Posts

Leave it stock for a little while. Wait until the next January at least, to see if another Z06 gets released. How mad would you be if you dropped a king's ransom to help a tuner learn how to make this brand-new motor sing, and then GM trumps you? Or, for that matter, they drop some cool new tech in the second year (PDK/DCT?), and you could have traded up if you hadn't just dumped ten grand into the motor.

Besides, if you put in a few runs at the local dragstrip bone stock, then get something nasty to fit under the stock hood, you can really surprise some folks.

.Jinx
Old 03-31-2012, 01:54 AM
LS1LT1
Team Owner

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by HZ3
I plan on seeing how much Lingenfelter can squeeze out of it at launch while keeping a stock hood I'm still not entirely sure if that's a good idea though it may be wiser to just throw some GT Brembos on it and wait it out.
What if the C7 comes with Brembos right off the bat (like the Camaro SS does)?
Would you actually remove factory Brembos (or even factory brakes that might be just as good) just to put on aftermarket Brembos?
The base C6 brakes aren't Brembos but many road racers will tell you that the factory brakes are VERY good and probably just a 'pad change' away from being excellent.

Originally Posted by Jinx
Leave it stock for a little while. Wait until the next January at least, to see if another Z06 gets released. How mad would you be if you dropped a king's ransom to help a tuner learn how to make this brand-new motor sing, and then GM trumps you? Or, for that matter, they drop some cool new tech in the second year (PDK/DCT?), and you could have traded up if you hadn't just dumped ten grand into the motor.

Besides, if you put in a few runs at the local dragstrip bone stock, then get something nasty to fit under the stock hood, you can really surprise some folks.
Old 03-31-2012, 08:18 AM
HZ3
Racer

Good advice from both of you I may just hold off someone said I could expect around a 10k loss with very low mileage for the C7 probably the year and honestly the only reason I'm not biting on a Z06 is the estimated wait time.

I never really thought of trading up but its an attractive option if I do in fact like the Z06 when its releaed
Old 03-31-2012, 08:18 AM
HZ3
Racer

Good advice from both of you I may just hold off someone said I could expect around a 10k loss with very low mileage for the C7 probably within the year and honestly the only reason I'm not biting on a Z06 is the estimated wait time.

I never really thought of trading up but its an attractive option if I do in fact like the Z06 when its releaed
Old 03-31-2012, 09:16 AM
vettelover69
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by HZ3
Good advice from both of you I may just hold off someone said I could expect around a 10k loss with very low mileage for the C7 probably within the year and honestly the only reason I'm not biting on a Z06 is the estimated wait time.

With the amount of money you supposedly make, who cares if you take a 10,000 hit? I mean you're talking about dropping 15 grand on it as soon as you got it with engine mods. Did you think that mods are an investment or something?

Just put the 10 grand down and be the first one to own a C7. I mean hey you're doing 1.5 million in sales, live a little and spend it. And remember, you can't take your money with you to the afterlife.
Old 03-31-2012, 11:08 AM
HZ3
Racer

Originally Posted by vettelover69
With the amount of money you supposedly make, who cares if you take a 10,000 hit? I mean you're talking about dropping 15 grand on it as soon as you got it with engine mods. Did you think that mods are an investment or something?

Just put the 10 grand down and be the first one to own a C7. I mean hey you're doing 1.5 million in sales, live a little and spend it. And remember, you can't take your money with you to the afterlife.
It will all depend on the styling of the Z06 if it really out classes the base coupe Ill probably do just that If it's a similiar styling with minimal improvements outside of performance I doubt Ill want to spend an extra 60k a year later while trading in my base C7 when I can drop 15k and get the same performance levels.

Get notified of new replies

To Putting a deposit down on a C7

Old 03-31-2012, 08:25 PM
OnPoint
The Consigliere
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5,475 Likes on 2,278 Posts

15k deposit? What's with that?
Old 03-31-2012, 09:09 PM
HZ3
Racer

Originally Posted by OnPoint
15k deposit? What's with that?
I have some extra cash laying around as long as they agree to let it go towards the MSRP I want to make sure there's no bullsh!t regarding throwing someone else my car because they are a long time customer/friend/want to put down more money/I'm young

Is it excessive? Definitely but it kind of helps me rest easier that Ill at least get the first one off the truck when I put that kind of deposit down with them. Who knows they may not even want to take that kind of money well see
Old 03-31-2012, 09:17 PM
OnPoint
The Consigliere
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5,475 Likes on 2,278 Posts

Originally Posted by HZ3
I have some extra cash laying around as long as they agree to let it go towards the MSRP I want to make sure there's no bullsh!t regarding throwing someone else my car because they are a long time customer/friend/want to put down more money/I'm young

Is it excessive? Definitely but it kind of helps me rest easier that Ill at least get the first one off the truck when I put that kind of deposit down with them. Who knows they may not even want to take that kind of money well see

Are you getting an agreed price with that - i.e. an agreed % relative to invoice?

Quick Reply: Putting a deposit down on a C7