C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Any new C7 info. from the Corvette Bash??

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2012, 05:48 PM
shawnvettefan
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any new C7 info. from the Corvette Bash??

I figured there would be some new info coming out? Maybe Rick Conti has some scoops?
Old 04-28-2012, 05:57 PM
SanDiegoBert
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by shawnvettefan
I figured there would be some new info coming out? Maybe Rick Conti has some scoops?
Jeez, I hope the car doesn't have a bunch of scoops.
Old 04-28-2012, 06:02 PM
shawnvettefan
Instructor

Originally Posted by SanDiegoBert
Jeez, I hope the car doesn't have a bunch of scoops.
LOL...hope not either!! Those add-ons are tacky!!
Old 04-28-2012, 08:53 PM
OnPoint
The Consigliere
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5,463 Likes on 2,276 Posts

Don't mind scoops. As long as they are functional.
Old 04-28-2012, 09:57 PM
jb_va2001
Melting Slicks

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
DC Area Events Coordinator

I'm good with scoops as long as they are tasteful done.
Old 04-28-2012, 11:28 PM
LS1LT1
Team Owner

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by shawnvettefan
Any new C7 info. from the Corvette Bash??
I'm betting that this Bash is more about the 2013 Corvette with little to no focus on the 2014/C7, that will come at the 2013 Bash of course.
Old 04-29-2012, 12:56 AM
SanDiegoBert
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by jb_va2001
I'm good with scoops as long as they are tasteful done.
Yes, well, that seems to be the sticking point. Who's taste is tasteful?

Sadly, many designers have a "some is good, more is better" attitude when it comes to styling. A case in point is the stock GS wheel, which I regard as grossly overstyled.

Too many scoops is a much more egregious error.
Old 04-29-2012, 10:47 AM
Dirk Miller
Burning Brakes

Received 64 Likes on 54 Posts

Default C7 wheels allowing for big brakes

Originally Posted by SanDiegoBert
Yes, well, that seems to be the sticking point. Who's taste is tasteful?

Sadly, many designers have a "some is good, more is better" attitude when it comes to styling. A case in point is the stock GS wheel, which I regard as grossly overstyled.

Too many scoops is a much more egregious error.
Changing gears here slightly, but you bring up the subject of wheels....
The more I go through expensive race pads on my '08 C6, the more I consider going to big brakes. The main reason I do not change to something like Brembo is due to the fact that I would need to buy all new wheels and I would need 8. I have noticed that many sporty Asian cars seem to design their wheels in such a way that there appears to be sufficient room for moving up to wider big brakes. Our cars are designed for the track much more than most, yet our wheels have never followed suit. (GM did go to Brembos for CTV and the wheels followed suit..... hoping they might consider these for the C7) Any word?
Old 04-29-2012, 11:23 AM
Jinx
Le Mans Master

Received 398 Likes on 207 Posts

Which sporty Asian cars, and how are their wheels different that they can take bigger brakes for a given tire diameter?
Old 04-29-2012, 11:34 AM
Flex182
Burning Brakes

Received 176 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by LS1LT1
I'm betting that this Bash is more about the 2013 Corvette with little to no focus on the 2014/C7, that will come at the 2013 Bash of course.
You are correct, I was there yesterday, and talked to one of the VIP's and the subject of the C7 's seats came up and all he would say was that they were better than the current, and I would not be disapointed, and would not comment much furthur than that.
Old 04-29-2012, 12:24 PM
LS1LT1
Team Owner

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Flex182
You are correct, I was there yesterday, and talked to one of the VIP's and the subject of the C7 's seats came up and all he would say was that they were better than the current, and I would not be disapointed, and would not comment much furthur than that.
Old 04-29-2012, 07:06 PM
Jinx
Le Mans Master

Received 398 Likes on 207 Posts

When do they ever say anything else? It's like an actor saying his new movie is great and you should go see it.
Old 04-29-2012, 07:20 PM
SanDiegoBert
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Jinx
When do they ever say anything else? It's like an actor saying his new movie is great and you should go see it.
Well, I for one, believe absolutely everything a corporate VIP tells me about a product that hasn't been introduced yet, and won't be for quite a while!
Old 05-01-2012, 06:31 PM
I Bin Therbefor
Drifting

You should have shown him a picture of the new Viper seats.
Old 05-02-2012, 09:41 AM
Dirk Miller
Burning Brakes

Received 64 Likes on 54 Posts

Default been busy but glad you asked

Originally Posted by Jinx
Which sporty Asian cars, and how are their wheels different that they can take bigger brakes for a given tire diameter?
Been super busy, but glad you asked.
The first Asian car dealership I pulled into answered this. Right after going to Concord Chevrolet, I found time to stop in next door at the Concord Nissan. They had two 370 Zs in front. One was their top of the line w/ Brembo brakes and the other was their run of the mill Z. But both had room in their wheels for big brakes. The standard Z's wheels in front had almost 2 inches from the outside of the calipers to the inside of the rim. Not a fancy looking wheel, but a lot more space than our C6 wheels. It is all in the design of the wheels. Chevy needs to make their
C7 wheels mimic their CTV even if they don't start with big brakes----just leave enough room for their owners to step up to big brakes without having to buy new wheels.

Hope to meet you one day
Do you ever drive on one of our three tracks in the area?

Dirk
Old 05-02-2012, 02:29 PM
McGirk94LT1
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Dirk Miller
Been super busy, but glad you asked.
The first Asian car dealership I pulled into answered this. Right after going to Concord Chevrolet, I found time to stop in next door at the Concord Nissan. They had two 370 Zs in front. One was their top of the line w/ Brembo brakes and the other was their run of the mill Z. But both had room in their wheels for big brakes. The standard Z's wheels in front had almost 2 inches from the outside of the calipers to the inside of the rim. Not a fancy looking wheel, but a lot more space than our C6 wheels. It is all in the design of the wheels. Chevy needs to make their
C7 wheels mimic their CTV even if they don't start with big brakes----just leave enough room for their owners to step up to big brakes without having to buy new wheels.

Hope to meet you one day
Do you ever drive on one of our three tracks in the area?

Dirk
This isnt all that much space:

That's their optional brakes and 19" wheels. Rays brand forged wheels btw, so not in house made wheels not that that matters tons.

So I assume you're talking about upgrading calipers, not rotor size then? Becausse if you want bigger rotors, theres a good chance you need different wheels anyway.

Its not reall an asian car thing, it just happens to be that way on the 370Z. To get wide enough wheels, they had to play with offsets it seems, as the track apparently is relatively short compared to body width. Hence why the wheels dont angle slightly out to the lip of the wheel on say, the c6, but jutt out sharply, then angle slightly out some more. The mustang GT 19" wheels will not fit the optional 14" brembos,

but the optional gt wheels will, and so will the 18" gt500 wheels

As you can see, the gt500 wheels curve outward just enough. In fact, the 19" GT wheels all but clear the brembos, but machining the inside of the spokes down is risky buisness.

No company is going to put serious effort into making a wheel that is already ready for wider calipers, at the expense of suspension geometry. Besides, the caliper isnt always a problem. The z06 front wheels fit width wise on the zr1 brakes, its the diameter of the rotor thats stopping it.

Get notified of new replies

To Any new C7 info. from the Corvette Bash??

Quick Reply: Any new C7 info. from the Corvette Bash??