C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Could it be???? Look what was spotted at Les Stanford Today!

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2012, 06:09 PM
CRABBYJ
Safety Car

Received 1,293 Likes on 722 Posts
Unmodified C8 of the Year 2021 Finalist
2018 C7 of Year Finalist

CoC6 For your reading pleasure authored by the Baltimore Port Authority about their exclusive contract to receive BMWs and MBs. Could "special detailing" reference damage repair? And it looks like cars travel unprotected from the elements as well. I guess they need to travel to dealers, hidden.

"About 320 vehicles were aboard the Fidelio when it arrived at the Port Monday evening. BMW will team with Mercedes-Benz under a five-year agreement and use their vehicle processing center at the MPA's Fairfield/Masonville auto terminal for the new business. Vehicle processing facilities add specific features to cars once they are off-loaded from their ship. Features may include special detailing, audio components, protective coatings or other items. After a vehicle is processed, it is taken to its dealer destination."

Last edited by CRABBYJ; 05-02-2012 at 06:18 PM. Reason: Added a Troll
Old 05-02-2012, 06:15 PM
McGirk94LT1
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I do not know, I can only assume every corvette that rolls of the line travels the same way, whatever that way may be. However I did not state that I know anything about transporting cars in the first place. However you stated "Open carriers with cars covered with a bed sheet is not cool or good protection, in my opinion." That is stating a fact, while using the asterisk "in my opinion" to try and relieve yourself of having to provide proof or said "fact." So since you know it isnt good for protection, do you have any evidence that more corvettes are damaged en route then z3/z4's? And if you claim rain to be potential damage, I can assure you, your car, nor a corvette melts in the rain.

I am also here to learn. So please educate which car you believe superior to your own?
Old 05-02-2012, 06:15 PM
Parker Corvette
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

WaxWeekley---Are you not concerned at all about damage to your new car in shipment? Your car may be in a rail yard, parked at a truck stop, Subject to hail. I am glad that my Z4 was shipped in an enclosed carrier. And it really doesn't matter how many miles I drive the car????? or that it is designed to sit out. That's your problem once you own it. By the way, I think 60,000 was the most I ever put on a car before trading. I love these responses.
Old 05-02-2012, 06:20 PM
SCM_Crash
Le Mans Master

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Colorado C6
WaxWeekley---Are you not concerned at all about damage to your new car in shipment? Your car may be in a rail yard, parked at a truck stop, Subject to hail. I am glad that my Z4 was shipped in an enclosed carrier. And it really doesn't matter how many miles I drive the car????? or that it is designed to sit out. That's your problem once you own it. By the way, I think 60,000 was the most I ever put on a car before trading. I love these responses.
That's because obvious troll is obvious.
Old 05-02-2012, 06:42 PM
LS1LT1
Team Owner

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

So let me get this straight. Once a BMW arrives at the dealership in it's enclosed carrier, at most dealerships it is then offloaded into an open/'fully exposed to the elements' parking lot where it might sit for weeks or even months.
Some Chevrolet dealerships have covered or indoor storage where their Corvettes will dwell until sold.
Should I buy a BMW that was shipped in an enclosed trailer for a two-three days (after riding the rain/wind soaked salt water ocean for a few weeks of course) but was left outside to rot for 5 months...or should I buy the Corvette that was shipped (now wrapped in what appears to be a very soft, full sized cover by the way) in an open trailer for only two-three days but now resides covered comfortably indoors until it is sold?
Which of those two scenarios do you think is harder on the car's finish?
Now, some BMW dealerships might have indoor storage as well, but seeing as how the Z3.4 is at DAMN NEAR THE VERY BOTTOM of their hierarchy/food chain they might NOT be stored there anyway as to make room for all of the Ms, 5, 6 and 7 series cars.

Man, those covered transporters sure do work WONDERS at making your BMW salesman's job a lot easier, he must pinch himself when victims of good advertising like you walk in the door LOL. You see how all that 'image', fluff and 'perceived glamor' can alter one's outlook on reality?
Old 05-02-2012, 06:54 PM
LS1LT1
Team Owner

Originally Posted by SCM_Crash
That's because obvious troll is obvious.

Old 05-02-2012, 06:56 PM
m48xhp
Melting Slicks

Received 211 Likes on 80 Posts

thank you Jesus...at least the C7 will have OnStar!
Old 05-02-2012, 06:59 PM
vant
Burning Brakes

I'm probably going to regret feeding you with yet another response - you seem to be enjoying this attention for some bizarre reason . But...if your brand new car incurs body damage during transport, then just refuse to take delivery of it. Seems pretty straight forward to me. Nobody should pay good money for a damaged product.

By the way, the Corvette's SMC body is less likely to be damaged by hail than the Z4's metal body. Just saying.
Old 05-02-2012, 07:15 PM
thebrander
Burning Brakes

Received 40 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by LS1LT1
When an uninformed or naive consumer (ya know, the ones that are merely under the perception (deception?) or impression that they're getting more than they paid for) pays $50k for what is really just a glorified $35k car then of course that car company can afford to ship it in an enclosed truck. It adds to that whole 'perceived quality' smokescreen that the dealership had just laid on them LOL.
I'll take the open trailer and a $49k sports car that performs like (or even better than) a $95k sports car should instead thank you.
Yes... sir. Nailed it.
Old 05-02-2012, 07:25 PM
BlueOx
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

My fav pic of CoC6's Bummer...
Old 05-02-2012, 07:44 PM
LS1LT1
Team Owner

Originally Posted by BlueOx
My fav pic of CoC6's Bummer...
Yes, but that was his previous one though.
This is his current "Ultimate Driving Machine":

And of course some earlier pics of CoC6 in happier times before the fires:

Old 05-02-2012, 07:45 PM
2K3Z06
Burning Brakes

Location: KADS- If it has wings or an engine, I can break it. Dallas TX

Hail damage on a plastic car? not likely
Old 05-02-2012, 07:56 PM
2K3Z06
Burning Brakes

Location: KADS- If it has wings or an engine, I can break it. Dallas TX

As a current corvette owner (and current Mazdaspeed owner) and former BMW owner. I agree on that one. The fit of the panel gaps and the quality of the interior materials are 2nd rate.

The interior of my MS Miata is better than my vette, and it cost $25,000 less.

I know this is a vette fan boy website. But there are a lot of areas that need improvement.

My biggest problem is that the MSM shifter and seats are so good. When I get in the vette it feels like I shifting a Fu**ing tractor.

GO ahead, flame away. YOu guys know I'm right.
Old 05-02-2012, 08:10 PM
BobRBob
Racer

Received 63 Likes on 33 Posts

This has turned into a bit of a pile on for no particular reason as far as I can see. Gotta say, other things being equal, I'd also prefer to have my car shipped in a covered van over having it out in the open. Not a big deal but it does seem like a bit of a no-brainer to me. BMWs are enclosed during shipping across the ocean as well so there's no exposure to salt spray. I've purchased two BMWs brand new and both were delivered in perfect condition with only a couple of miles on the odo. As for the relative quality of the two brands I have to say the BMW is much higher. I'm no hater but that's a no-brainer as well. You don't have to look very hard to see the difference. Hell, you can even see it in the two pictures with the girls in the cars. Not sure what the point of the burning cars is. Lots of Corvettes have gone up in smoke too.

I'm a fan of both cars but GM can learn a few things from BMW. They do a lot of things right and didn't go bankrupt.

Last edited by BobRBob; 05-02-2012 at 08:43 PM.
Old 05-02-2012, 08:21 PM
LS1LT1
Team Owner

Originally Posted by 2K3Z06
The interior of my MS Miata is better than my vette
In your opinion yes, it might be better.
I find the interior of the Jaguar XKR-S to be better than that of the Lamborghini Gallardo as well, and it's over $100k cheaper.
That must mean that the Jaguar is a better sports car, right?

But there are a lot of areas that need improvement.
EVERY car has areas that could use some improvement (BMWs and Mazdas included), otherwise no car manufacturer would ever change/update/revise any of their models.
NO vehicle is perfect.

YOu guys know I'm right.
No, we don't know that actually.
You may be right. And you may not be.
Old 05-02-2012, 08:22 PM
SanDiegoBert
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Umm . . . Get back to the photo at Les Stanford Chevrolet: Those cars were meant to be DRIVEN with the covers on, not merely transported. I mean, there is an opening for radiator airflow, headlights, and of course, the windshield is naked.

Cars that are covered for transport are fully covered, aren't they?

Well, maybe they need to be driven a bit during the process of being transported.
Old 05-02-2012, 10:01 PM
jb_va2001
Melting Slicks

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
DC Area Events Coordinator

Originally Posted by McGirk94LT1
Why is it that the c7 section has roughly a 40% never should have been started/needs to be locked rate since the new year?
SAVE those threads that never should have been started. Make them entertaining or funny, add a pretty girl or silly nonsense, post something to save all those wasted clicks!

Get notified of new replies

To Could it be???? Look what was spotted at Les Stanford Today!

Old 05-02-2012, 10:04 PM
shawnvettefan
Instructor

I don't know why everyone is piling on Colorado? He makes some good points about the Vette and it seems like he wants to improve the car rather than put it down or at least that is my perception (haven't read all his comments).

But if he thinks his Z4 is a premium car and has a high quality interior then he has no idea of what premium or quality is! If you want a high quality BMW interior then you have to look at a loaded 6 or 7 series not a Z4, 3 or even a 5 series (unless it's heavily optioned). And up to the current generation the Z4 had even a crappier interior. Another example is the 911 which had only slightly above average interior up to the new 2012 model but they finally stepped up in the new model. But like so many others, people thought even the previous generation had a special interior which it didn't. So this thing about German interiors is not so true, it's mostly perception. His car is premium though in the categories of warranty, marketing, dealer sales and service so I won't knock him on that. Otherwise it's another overpriced German brand that he drives thinking it's something special which it's not!!

I am not saying that the Corvette is any better though. I am just saying German cars in particular have this perceived quality that is not always true. I think it's mostly due to marketing. And American cars (eventhough I am not a fan of except only the Corvette) have this percieved quality of having crappy interiors. I think this is mostly to the fact that they actually have had garbage interiors for as long as I remember and this is planted in peoples minds and GM needs to go above & beyond to erase this perception. But it seems like they they are finally getting their act together in the past couple of years and I truly believe it's finally the coming out party for the Corvettes interior and we will finally have something to be proud of.

And I still don't get why people don't want progress or improve the car just so to keep the price down?? This is premium car and it should carry premium prices. If I or anyone else can't afford it then we should wait a couple of years and buy it used.

And it's not all about performance. If some are so hard up for performance then just buy a used car and mod it. It's 2012 and people look at cars as a whole and not just their stats. Just look at the new Viper which was garbage, but the new interior looks unbelievable and from what I read has some of the finest leather ("Bentley would be proud of") money can buy and it's suppossed to smell phenomonal! The Viper GTS will be the same price as a ZR1 but the interior quality would **** on the C6 ZR1's quality (but I'm confident that will change with the C7).

And it's finally good to see that they are covering up the Corvettes that are being trucked rather than shipping them open like they would Malibus. It's a premium car GM, treat it like one!!!

Last edited by shawnvettefan; 05-02-2012 at 10:07 PM.
Old 05-02-2012, 10:16 PM
Parker Corvette
Pro

You guys are really reaching for answers tonight. You lost this debate from the git go. Thank you to those who supported my thread. "Special detailing could mean damage repair" You can do better than that Crabby. Just remember--it goes fast in a straight line and is world class. Just keep saying that.
Old 05-02-2012, 10:58 PM
LS1LT1
Team Owner

Originally Posted by shawnvettefan
I don't know why everyone is piling on Colorado? He makes some good points about the Vette and it seems like he wants to improve the car rather than put it down or at least that is my perception (haven't read all his comments).
You might want to go back and do just that then before jumping too quickly to his defense LOL.
He might make one or two remotely valid points mixed in with another twenty extremely negative biased opinions, not unlike that of a classic internet troll.

You lost this debate from the git go.
Well, that's the final word I suppose.
You stated it so it must be fact.

Quick Reply: Could it be???? Look what was spotted at Les Stanford Today!